The Sony ILME-FX6V Owners Club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Doug Jensen View Post

I also use a Sigma MC-11 EF adapter and can report it works great with Canon lenses on my FX6. But I am slowly retiring my Canon lenses and moving to native Sony e-mount lenses.
    AF, too?

Comment

Good question, but I don't know. I'd be happy to test it, but that adapter is 1200 miles away from me and the FX6 at the moment.
      Doug Jensen, Sony camcorder instructor
      HOW TO MAKE MONEY SHOOTING STOCK
      http://www.dougjensen.com/

Comment

Originally posted by scorsesefan View Post
        Has anyone tried to use EF lenses with their FX6? Specifically with the Metabones IV. Obviously not AF but does aperture control/IS work?
        I have been using METABONES adapters on several Sony E mount cameras with Canon lenses for years and recently with FX6 - Iris control is fine but no AF. Recently I sold several of my canons - I am going strictly with Sony E mount. I still have a SIGMA 50 - 150 2.8 which is a sweet lens but it is not FF - so I will probably sell that at some point.

Comment

supposedly the sigma adapter only does AF with sigma lenses. not sure how well it works
          www.VideoAbe.com

"In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant. Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant." -Harvey

Comment

Speaking of AF, now that I'm shooting more with Sony telephoto lenses (mostly the 200-600mm) I've been trying to force myself to get comfortable using AF assist for tracking wildlife, vehicles, and other non-human subjects that have a lot of movement. I''m experimenting with different settings, but in most cases I can now get AF to track better than I can manually. Very impressive AF capability on the FX6. Using a seamless mix of MF and AF is proving to be pretty effective. I'm sure I'll be selling my Sigma adapter and Canon lenses later this year when I get home.

Comment

No experience on fx6, but before I got the a7siii I had little faith in AF. But now I use it all the time and I have to say it's amazing. The IQ is incredible and as a solo shooter it's such a life saver.

Comment

Speaking of AF, now that I'm shooting more with Sony telephoto lenses (mostly the 200-600mm) I've been trying to force myself to get comfortable using AF assist for tracking wildlife, vehicles, and other non-human subjects that have a lot of movement. I''m experimenting with different settings, but in most cases I can now get AF to track better than I can manually. Very impressive AF capability on the FX6. Using a seamless mix of MF and AF is proving to be pretty effective. I'm sure I'll be selling my Sigma adapter and Canon lenses later this year when I get home.
                For sure - The mix of AF/MF works really well. That is why I am moving to Sony lenses. On occasion I have rented Zeiss CP lenses or other manual lenses when I use an AC, but I am pretty impressed with the AF - of course there will always be certain projects where focus pulling might be needed (for now). I still need to get used to the AF on FX6 and become a bit more confident that it is right on. So far I have good results.

Comment

I found that on my FX9 my metabones Mark IV ( not speedbooster ) worked as well as the MC-11 for the 18-35 and seems to have pretty good AF. Also tried both adapters with the older V-1 tamron 24-70 f2.8 and neither adapter had decent AF, both had iris control as expected.

Comment

Originally posted by LennyLevy View Post
                    I found that on my FX9 my metabones Mark IV ( not speedbooster ) worked as well as the MC-11 for the 18-35 and seems to have pretty good AF. Also tried both adapters with the older V-1 tamron 24-70 f2.8 and neither adapter had decent AF, both had iris control as expected.
                    Tried my Metabones IV (non SB) with my C 24-105/C 70-200 on a7siii. Both worked for aperture control and IS but AF option grayed out. I expect FX6 to be similar.

Comment

Originally posted by scorsesefan View Post

Tried my Metabones IV (non SB) with my C 24-105/C 70-200 on a7siii. Both worked for aperture control and IS but AF option grayed out. I expect FX6 to be similar.
                      Same for me on A7SIII with canon lenses and sigma adapter. AF option grayed out. But I think it works with sigma lenses, though I dunno if it will work as well as native lenses
                      www.VideoAbe.com

"In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant. Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant." -Harvey

Comment

It only worked for me on the Sigma 18-35- go figure

Comment

Originally posted by LennyLevy View Post
                          It only worked for me on the Sigma 18-35- go figure
                          of all the sigma lenses you own? or versus the canon lenses you own?

is the firmware up to date? as far as I can tell, the only thing about the firmware that gets updated is more lens compatibility, which sort of makes me feel like the adapter simply chooses not to work with canon lenses rather than that it can't
                          www.VideoAbe.com

Comment

About the FX6 and the EF lenses with Metabones.
                            I sold my Canon cameras some years ago, but still kept some Canon EF lenses and a Metabones IV some time: 17-40 F/4, 24-105 F/4, 70-200 F/2.8 and an old EF 35/1.4
                            The Iris management was working with all.
                            The AF was quite good with the 17-40, functional (but not really usable) with the medium zooms and not functional with the 35/1.4
                            Optically quite good, but I noticed some flare with the 70-200 and I decided to sell it, despite it was a gold sample.
                            And finally I sold the other, I still have only the 35/1.4
                            Now I have in Sigma: the 14-24, the 24-70, both 105's (the Macro and the monster) and in Sony the 55/1.8 and the 100-400... and an A7R4.
                            The AF is perfect with all, and all is functional. I would say the FX6 has quite the same performance as the A7R4.

Depends on the use, but except if it's only for landscape at wide angle, and never to film people, OK I could survive with the 17-40 and the metabones combo but otherwise it's a pity to have an FX6 with a so good AF and not use it in good conditions, specially for the eye tracking.

The only lacking feature on the FX6 is the focus tracking (it's already an old story)

Comment

Originally posted by did View Post
                              The only lacking feature on the FX6 is the focus tracking (it's already an old story)
                              With Sony lenses or just non-Sony lenses? If you are talking about Sony lenses, in what way is it lacking?

Comment

With Sony lenses or just non-Sony lenses? If you are talking about Sony lenses, in what way is it lacking?
                                Pretty sure he is referring to the ‘object tracking’
                                autofocus which the A7siii has which the FX6 lacks.
                                It is probably the #1 requested feature from FX6
                                shooters hoping Sony can update the firmware
                                to bring it to the FX6.

Comment

Working...
                                X