The Sony ILME-FX6V Owners Club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by drboffa View Post
    And yet we read plays all the time! It's a standard part of the curriculum in many schools. This—to me—is WAY more "incorrect" than leaving log footage as is. Plays are much more than just the words on the page! (Which is not to deny the very real pleasure that people may experience from reading, rather than watching, a play.)
    more like singing the sheet music acapella. less like marveling at the shapes on the page. do some people frame and hang sheet music? maybe. but for the sheer aesthetic of it? doubtful
    www.VideoAbe.com

"In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant. Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant." -Harvey

Comment

Any recommendations for a super telephoto on the FX6? Say the Sony FE 100-400mm? I'd be interested in hearing how these still lens work in practice for getting some more reach than my 28-135.
      Thanks
      Nathan

Comment

Originally posted by jmone View Post
        Any recommendations for a super telephoto on the FX6? Say the Sony FE 100-400mm? I'd be interested in hearing how these still lens work in practice for getting some more reach than my 28-135.
        Thanks
        Nathan
        I have the Canon 200-400 f/4 with built-in 1.4x extender so I can cover anything from 200mm to 560mm without changing lenses. It has has very good manual focusing and is really the only SLR lens I can stand using for shooting video. On the FX6 iris and stabilization work but not AF -- if that was of any interest to you. It really is a gorgeous lens that has paid for itself many times over on my F55 and FS7 and now it finds new life on the full-frame FX6.
        Doug Jensen, Sony camcorder instructor
        HOW TO MAKE MONEY SHOOTING STOCK
        http://www.dougjensen.com/

Comment

Thanks Doug, Probably not for me going down the adapter route (though I did read here that with that Canon focusing works when not using the 1.4).

...or I could just wait for the rest of the Mythical C line from Sony but given the pricing of the 16-35.....

Comment

Thanks Doug, Probably not for me going down the adapter route (though I did read here that with that Canon focusing works when not using the 1.4).

...or I could just wait for the rest of the Mythical C line from Sony but given the pricing of the 16-35.....
            surely there won't be a super-telephoto C line lens from Sony any time soon? more like a 70-200...
            www.VideoAbe.com

"In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant. Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant." -Harvey

Comment

Thanks
              Nathan
              Tamron just came out with a 150-500mm that looks very promising: https://www.newsshooter.com/2021/04/...-di-iii-a-rxd/

I've been using an adapted Sigma 150-600 (Canon mount) with pretty good results. It's not the sharpest lens at 600 (and it's softer than the Sigma 100-400mm at 400) but the reach is excellent, especially if you're willing to crop in to S35 mode in HD. And I've been getting pretty decent AF via the Sigma MC-11 adapter.

That said: if you're willing to spend about twice as much as the above lenses I think you'll be very happy with the Sony 100-400.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Jensen View Post
                I'd never allow ungraded LOG into a finished production, but a webcam is a different story and it does have a nice look. Either my computer or the BM Web Presenter makes the footage look darker and more contrasty than what the camera is actually putting out, so in a sense it is not a pure unadulterated S-LOG3 signal by the time it goes down the series of tubes. I don't know where/why the contrast is being added because I don't care enough to bother investigating. But I do know a super shallow DOF LOG shot in a semi-outdoors location from the FX6 (plus the slight grade my other hardware gives it) looks a hell of a lot better than the fake background replacements and other stuff the other meeting participants are using. A creative choice . . . but not art.

Absolutely.
                ----------------------------------------------------------

My reel
                Website

Comment

Thanks
                  Nathan
                  I wish I could help. All I have is the Canon FD 100-300 which is super super cheap on ebay but not the greatest quality. Will do in a pinch for the rare times I need one though.

My reel
                  Website

Comment

Originally posted by ahalpert View Post
                    surely there won't be a super-telephoto C line lens from Sony any time soon? more like a 70-200...
                    I think you are right, I'm expecting they will rehouse the F2.8 24-70, and 70-200 --> the C line, like they did for the 16-35.

Comment

Originally posted by drboffa View Post
                      Tamron just came out with a 150-500mm that looks very promising: https://www.newsshooter.com/2021/04/...-di-iii-a-rxd/

I've been using an adapted Sigma 150-600 (Canon mount) with pretty good results. It's not the sharpest lens at 600 (and it's softer than the Sigma 100-400mm at 400) but the reach is excellent, especially if you're willing to crop in to S35 mode in HD. And I've been getting pretty decent AF via the Sigma MC-11 adapter.

That said: if you're willing to spend about twice as much as the above lenses I think you'll be very happy with the Sony 100-400.
                      The new Tamron does look promising but all the reviews barely touch on it's use on a Video Cam like the FX6 (I found one that covered focus breathing for 2 sec!).... and absolutely no Sony 100-400 vs Tamron 150-500 comparison for video use.

Comment

Remember Tamrons focus in the nikon direction . It can drive a man to suicide.

Comment

I think I'll grab the Sony 100-400 during the current promotions here in Oz, and then I'll have pretty much a full set with plenty of overlap:
                          - 28-135 F4: Love the PZ. It has been my main lens to date but I found the 28mm was just not wide enough indoors and it is kind of "stands out / in your face" in these settings.
                          - 16-35 F4: It gets the job done and is nice and small. For indoors the faster F2.8 would have been better, but I did not like the lack of OSS and the obvious focus breathing of the F2.8.
                          - 100-400 F4.5-5.6: TBA

I've also got the 24-240 F3.5/6.3 for a "light travel super zoom". I was also hoping this lens would work well on my gimbal, but the zoom ring is so stiff the zoom motor on my Crane 3S Pro can not drive it without slipping.
                          Last edited by jmone; 06-19-2021, 11:23 PM.

Comment

Hopefully you have at least one medium f/1.4 in there to take advantage of that beautiful FF sensor and eye-AF (even if it's just here or there).

Comment

The Sony 200-600 is currently on sale

Speaking of fast primes, I just got the 50 GM 1.2 and it's gorgeous. (But yes, breathing)
                              www.VideoAbe.com

Comment

Originally posted by LennyLevy View Post
                                Remember Tamrons focus in the nikon direction . It can drive a man to suicide.
                                Ahh right that's me out then. Unless it's just my only AF lens.

My reel
                                Website

Comment

Working...
                                X