sony electret lavaliers to fs7 xlr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FS7: sony electret lavaliers to fs7 xlr

I have a bunch of electret lavaliers for my sony wireless system. They have 3.5 jack connectors.
    Anyone using these microphones with a xlr cable, direct into the fs7?

any tips or thoughts?

I think I need a special 3.5jack to xlr adapter ,do I?
    Last edited by Publimix; 07-27-2020, 12:07 PM.
    Peter Bosman

Short answer yes. Depending on the brand of the receiver and how the outputs are wired will determine how your cables are to wired. If they are Sony or Sennheiser you can buy pre-made screw-down mini jack to XLR cables from various video audio outlets. They are wired differently so check carefully the ones you get are the ones for your wireless kits. The ones wired for Sennheiser for example will work with the Rode RODELink kits. Also depending on the output levels of the wireless receivers, some you can adjust output levels you will have to adjust the input levels of the FS7 most likely.

For example with the RODELink wireless kits, I'm running the Rode output switched to 0dB. The FS7 inputs are set to -50dB or -60 depending on the interviews. If all-female more often set to -60dB. Setting levels manually on the camera in most interview situations I aim for input gain settings somewhere between the 3-5 level on the pots. This gives me a pretty decent drive level into the FS7 that will keep the signal to noise ratio good on the input preamps. The resultant levels on the camera will sit somewhere between 0 and -10dB on the camera meters if you flick over to the Status menu and check your levels. I also have the FS7's Limiters set to -6dB. Rare but if you get a level from your wireless that should go above -6dB it will start to limit. Surprisingly I find the FS7 limiter to have a fairly soft onset to the limiter and have never suffered any problem recordings. For on the street type vox pops where you have a multitude of voice levels one after the other and don't have time to manually adjust I will use the AGC switches in the Auto mode and have the internal AGC settings also at -6dB. Again this will give you decent levels with a fairly smooth AGC coming in if you have plosive levels that are going to drive levels that high.

I go through the same process whether I'm using Lectros, Sennies, Sonys, or any other brand. Some of the better brands have really good companders in them and will effectively control the levels arriving at your camera inputs. Typical cases for a good compander are like being in the pits with 8-11,000-horsepower Top Fuel dragsters. The noise levels they generate will vibrate every bone in your body and test any audio input to the absolute max. Mind you those top fuel cars can cause other audio issues with around about 40 amps cranking out of their ignition coils. I have had interference with all brands of wireless mics in those conditions when close to the cars. Other than surprisingly the 2.4GHz unlicensed wireless kits.

Regardless of the situation, I would do some thorough stringent dry runs simulating any condition you are likely to run into to work out the best TX output and RX output settings for the wireless kits you are using in conjunction with the best settings you can develop in the FS7. That old devil of c**p audio is a 'bar steward' to fix afterward in post.

Chris Young

Comment

Thank you for the short and long answer. I just got my hands on a Sony DC-78 lavalier power adapter. (for electret microphones). Not sure yet if this is the right one (but got it cheap). I will try the 3.5 jack - xlr plug too.
      Peter Bosman

Comment

I'll point out it is very very rare to hardwire lavs direct to camera, usually it is all wireless.

You only need an absented minded talent to ONCE get up and walk away, in the process dragging your camera from the tripod down into smashing the floor... to never want to do this ever again!
        Am a Sound Recordist in New Zealand: http://ironfilm.co.nz/sound/
        Follow my vlog and adventures in sound: https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding

Comment

When working as a one man band I always prefer to hardwire any lavalier for an interview rather than use a wireless as there is less to go wrong, there is less crap to hassle with and much faster to set up. For the same reason I don't use a mixer. But that's all because I didn't start off as a sound man - so while i do know what i'm doing its always a distraction that requires more mental effort than I want to spend. In my experience you don't just adapt the 3.5 to an XLR but you need an adapter that is often a power supply and also adapts to XLR. I don't actually know what its called but you'll find it with the Lavs on B&H. . These come with Trams or Sonotrims or I have one for a Cos 11. You can buy them separately and most will work with any of the Lavs. You can either put a battery in it or leave the battery out and run the power from the camera's 48V phantom. That's my experience for what its worth.

By the way - never had anyone knock over the camera though it is scary when they start to get up on their own.- Leave plenty of slack!

Comment

Working...
          X