All around zoom for the FS5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FS5: All around zoom for the FS5

I'm looking for recommendations for a light weight all around zoom for run n' gun. I bought the Sony 18-105 (couldn't hit manual focus) a while back and exchanged it for the Tamron 28-75, which is great but I find it to be a). Not wide enough on APS-C b). Too jittery without OS. No worries, I use it on my A7III. I thought I could use my Canon 17-55/Metabones, but after hand holding for an hour I was practically in traction (I'm not 20 anymore ;)

Any advice would be great. My budget is around $1000. Thanks

The Canon is only 645 grams so that really limits your options.

If you'd like a lens lighter than that with IS and a decent range, I think your only options are the slower kit-like lenses.

Most good glass is heavy (especially zooms), and many people use zoom lenses that are twice/3x as heavy as the above.

___

If image stabilization is a must-have, here all of B&H's options filtered for E-mount and EF mount priced low to high:

E: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...3Asony-e-mount

EF: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...16%3Acanon-eos

[Can't group them since they separate mirrorless and DSLR lenses.]

Comment

Did your 18-105 have the most recent firmware? I found that it was significantly improved when I updated the firmware. It's still not great, but I feel like it's usable now, which really wasn't the case previously.

Otherwise I'm not sure you have many other options within your parameters. I like the Canon 24-105mm paired with a speedbooster, but it's definitely heavier than the 18-105.

Comment

Thanks, Norbro. Do you have any experience with the Sony 24-105 on APS-C?

Comment

Originally posted by drboffa View Post
          Did your 18-105 have the most recent firmware? I found that it was significantly improved when I updated the firmware. It's still not great, but I feel like it's usable now, which really wasn't the case previously.

Otherwise I'm not sure you have many other options within your parameters. I like the Canon 24-105mm paired with a speedbooster, but it's definitely heavier than the 18-105.
          Yeah, I had firmware V4. It was just really hard for me to hit my focus. I felt like I was spinning the focus ring a lot just to get slight focus changes. And the MFD of 3 feet when zoomed to 105mm was tough to work with. If you have any tips for MF on this lens I would be happy to hear them...

Comment

Originally posted by scorsesefan View Post
            Thanks, Norbro. Do you have any experience with the Sony 24-105 on APS-C?
            I don't, with neither the Sony or Canon.

Most of the time I actually like shooting wider than 24mm on APS-C. And when I need to zoom it's more than 105mm (like a CU of a speaker all the way from the back of a room).

Lensmakers have forever tortured us with lens designs as there is always a compromise (IS - speed - weight - range), so you'll probably always have to have a few pieces of glass in the bag.

One reason I love full-frame cameras is because you can potentially use the camera's crop modes (like on your a7III), so a 24-105mm would be more useful on the wider end in FF mode, and you could still have the 105mm in APS-C if that would suffice.

Comment

Yeah, I had firmware V4. It was just really hard for me to hit my focus. I felt like I was spinning the focus ring a lot just to get slight focus changes. And the MFD of 3 feet when zoomed to 105mm was tough to work with. If you have any tips for MF on this lens I would be happy to hear them...
              When B&H opens up again, test lenses (many are on display) because a lot of them focus by wire.

Comment

Yep, my dream lens would be a 14-200 2.8 with IS.

Comment

Originally posted by NorBro View Post
                  When B&H opens up again, test lenses (many are on display) because a lot of them focus by wire.
                  Yeah, I'm going to bring my FS5 there and play.

Comment

If the a7SIII ever comes out and it's a really good camera and the world is normal, I would love to pair it with this thing below.

I most likely won't, but it's fun to think about it.

Sony 16-35mm Cine.jpg

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...5mm_t_3_1.html

Comment

What about the Tamron superzooms? I've used a Tammy 18-270 on my APS-C cameras. (I believe they now make a 16-300.)

Pros: lightweight, huge range and wide-enough wide-angle, cheap, nice looking image, stabilized

Cons: doesn't zoom smoothly, not parfocal, not that sharp (but sharp enough IMO), ramping aperture and very slow on the long end

But for run-and-gun b-roll where you want a close-up of the guy at the podium and then a wide shot of the entire crowd watching, it was awesome. I used it mostly on daylight exterior shooting to accommodate the f/6.3 on the long end.
                      www.AbeFilms.com

All men are brothers

Comment

Originally posted by ahalpert View Post
                        What about the Tamron superzooms? I've used a Tammy 18-270 on my APS-C cameras. (I believe they now make a 16-300.)

Pros: lightweight, huge range and wide-enough wide-angle, cheap, nice looking image, stabilized

Cons: doesn't zoom smoothly, not parfocal, not that sharp (but sharp enough IMO), ramping aperture and very slow on the long end

But for run-and-gun b-roll where you want a close-up of the guy at the podium and then a wide shot of the entire crowd watching, it was awesome. I used it mostly on daylight exterior shooting to accommodate the f/6.3 on the long end.
                        Thanks for the suggestion. I find the ramping on the non-constant aperture lenses very distracting. What are your thoughts?

Comment

Okay. I'm not sure if you ever used it with the earlier firmware but imagine something even worse!

Honestly my only tip for MF with this (or any) lens on the FS5 is using an external monitor. I had so many slightly soft shots that I ended up getting an Atomos Shinobi to use when I'm not using the Shogun. I don't like having to carry around another piece of kit (and batteries/charger), but the focusing and exposure tools are so useful it's worth it. If you don't already have an external monitor and you've got about $1K to spend consider splitting that between a decent lens and a monitor (I got my Shinobi on eBay for a little over $300).

One combo I like is the Sigma 17-50 (adapted via Sigma's MC-11). You lose range, but if you need a shot in a pinch you can use ClearImage Zoom or Center Scan (assuming you're not using raw over SDI).

Comment

Originally posted by drboffa View Post
                            Okay. I'm not sure if you ever used it with the earlier firmware but imagine something even worse!

Honestly my only tip for MF with this (or any) lens on the FS5 is using an external monitor. I had so many slightly soft shots that I ended up getting an Atomos Shinobi to use when I'm not using the Shogun. I don't like having to carry around another piece of kit (and batteries/charger), but the focusing and exposure tools are so useful it's worth it. If you don't already have an external monitor and you've got about $1K to spend consider splitting that between a decent lens and a monitor (I got my Shinobi on eBay for a little over $300).

One combo I like is the Sigma 17-50 (adapted via Sigma's MC-11). You lose range, but if you need a shot in a pinch you can use ClearImage Zoom or Center Scan (assuming you're not using raw over SDI).
                            Thanks. The FS5 monitor is pretty crappy. I do have a monitor but I use it so seldomly I have to check what focus assists (if any) it has. I think I may just buy a used 18-105 and try to accept its limitations....

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion. I find the ramping on the non-constant aperture lenses very distracting. What are your thoughts?
                              The aperture ramping is ok if you're already stopped down for the slower side or the zoom. It also doesn't zoom smoothly, ramping aside. So I wouldn't recommend it for slow, steady zooms, but you can get decent results with a quick zoom. And as far as fast run-and-gun coverage goes, it's a great lens that I bought for around $600.

Here's a video at Smile Farms that I shot with the 18-270 on a 60D a few years back. I've used it many times more recently, but I remember that this video was shot solely with that lens. There are several zoom moves in there: https://www.onlygood.tv/smile-farms-...078465740.html

For years if I'm not shooting on a prime, I've used the f/2.8 Tokina 11-16, Canon 24-70 or Canon 70-200. The Tamron 18-270 was for when I needed maximum speed and versatility. If I had to buy it again today, I would get the 16-300. 18 is wide enough, but 16 is even better.
                              www.AbeFilms.com

All men are brothers

Comment

Working...
                              X