Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FS7: HG7 & HG8 for Camp fire shots

Heya guys

So... read almost all of the Alister and Doug posts about the FS7 and hypergammas. So this is just a "confirm me" post...

I'll be shooting a camp fire scene where the fire itself will be the main illumination on the two actors sitting a metre or so away from the fire itself. We will be bringing a battery operated Lupo Superpanel to provide a general lift from the direction of the fire, but in terms of gamma. Since this will naturally be a relatively high contrast scene, wouldnt' HG8 be better than HG7 in a case like this? I imagine shooting around iso 3200 and I can go as low as T2.9 on the Fujinon lenses.

Edit: Oh... we will be shooting just before sundown
    Last edited by legrevedotcom; 01-27-2018, 09:13 AM.

Think about the dynamic range required in your shot(s). If you have a full shot of the campfire and your people around it, are you trying to hold detail in the bright parts of the fire? If so, how bright do you want the faces to be at that point? When you say 'just before sunset' does that mean that you are hoping for some of the sun's last golden rays to light your scene and background? Or are you thinking magic hour - and needing to shoot very quickly to keep your backgrounds consistent? Or are you looking for a scene that bridges day into night? Personally I'd probably go for the increased dynamic range of Log - though if staying in the HG's I might go with HG7 to help the faces a bit...

Comment

I tend to also think HG7. I don't use HG8 much though. HG 7 will get your faces up more than HG8 while still holding some of the fire. That's my 2 cents. I imagine you're not doing log because it will be low light which is a good idea.

Comment

I'll throw in my 10cents with OnSet on this one. I just got back from shooting in Senegal and we shot a campfire scene. Granted we shot almost exclusively on a 50mm F1.4 wide open, but I found that the choice to stick with the DR of Slog3 worked very nicely. We have decent shadow data, and A LOT of the fire details are still retained. By all means try HG, but I'd recommned test shooting (maybe with a bunch of candles if making a campfire isn't easy or safe where you're located ;-).

jason
        ----------------
        Freelance Site: www.Opticalism.com/jason
        Company Site: www.Opticalism.com
        Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/jasonbrooks/videos
        Africa Blog: www.Opticalism.com/travels

Sum Ergo Edo.

Comment

I agree with Jason,

I only use SLOG2 and SLOG3. Davinci Resolve 14.2 Studio is cheap and loads of tutorials on line to help you learn how to Grade with it. Take advantage of the camera and shoot the full 14 stops. HG7 or 8 will be disappointing compared to SOLG.

Just my suggestion, but if HG is your choice I hope it all goes well.
          https://paulcroninstudios.com/

Comment

Originally posted by jasonbrooks View Post
            I'll throw in my 10cents with OnSet on this one. I just got back from shooting in Senegal and we shot a campfire scene. Granted we shot almost exclusively on a 50mm F1.4 wide open, but I found that the choice to stick with the DR of Slog3 worked very nicely. We have decent shadow data, and A LOT of the fire details are still retained. By all means try HG, but I'd recommned test shooting (maybe with a bunch of candles if making a campfire isn't easy or safe where you're located ;-).

jason
            Thank you all for feed back... I eventually dug up some tests that mentions some of the things you write here. Then I decided to try and do a little test with our braided bamboo lamp from Ikea x)
            I has a fairly warm glow to it and the braids act kind of like logs on a fire.
            I ended up liking log to be honest, the range really does make a difference, especially after denoising in Davinci.
            I think I'll give slog 3 a go... and hopefully the little china battery led and a Superpanel will help a bit. As well as a few oil lanterns for background light here and there.

In regards to time of shooting. We deliberately went for an overcast day due to the nature of the product and storyline. So dusk will be less contrasty, but the light die down fast. I think we will end up bridging into night time to make it work.

Thanks again for useful input!

Comment

Ended up with log... after some denoise and grading and reintroduced grain, I find it fairly useable... it's not squeeky clean, but it's ok.

slog3 cine at T 2.9

Untitled_1.4.1.jpg

Comment

At that light level I think I would have gone for a HG.. thought it was a camp fire..?.. do you have any screen grabs of the fire shots..

Thanks

Comment

Great job, SLOG is the way to go with that light.
                  https://paulcroninstudios.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Donny 123 View Post
                    At that light level I think I would have gone for a HG.. thought it was a camp fire..?.. do you have any screen grabs of the fire shots..

Thanks
                    You make a valid point! xD Here's one of the acutally fire... but we did end up adding to the fire with a Superpanel. The fire alone wouldnt have cut it to be honest the light level was very weak, partly because we didn't have enough room in the car to bring the amount of wood that would have been needed. This ofcourse also meant that we had to live with the fake light. The Superpanel sat around 1-3% of power (an attempt to let just a little fire flicker seep through) and was around 2-2.5 metres away with a 1/2 CTO on it.
                    I would have loved if we could have flickered that light, that would have sold the look I think... but again, time and money. We were 4 people in total including the models.
                    Before arriving at the camp location I had crashed my Phantom 4 Pro at the previous location, that took away 30 minutes of climbing and fishing it out of the limestone lake xO So when we arrived at that camp we were almost an hour behind schedule.
                    But lessons learned indeed... I did shoot a single establishing shot with an A7S II in available light only, but that ended up sitting at iso 20.000.

The fake moonlight came from a small on-camera china dual color LED I had lying around with NP-F batteries which I put on a stand and moved around according to shots and composition... a lot of close-ups indeed ;D

In the defense of the FS7, its 10 bit slog3 is pretty robust combined with denoising and grading, that graded grab is gained 1.84 on the wheel.

Camp_Gr.jpg

Camp_UnGr.jpg
                    Last edited by legrevedotcom; 02-01-2018, 02:26 AM.

Comment

Funny I would have thought even a fairly small fire would have kicked out quite a bit of light.. suppose it also depends how long you need that light to last.. pretty tricky ! hope your drone is ok

Comment

Originally posted by Donny 123 View Post
                        Funny I would have thought even a fairly small fire would have kicked out quite a bit of light.. suppose it also depends how long you need that light to last.. pretty tricky ! hope your drone is ok
                        Yeah, so I thought, I guess I could also have worked on size, but again, with one car we were limited by trunk space

I think a rather large pile like 60 70 cm high would have made a difference.

Drone is dead I'm affraid. I rang up the local DJI reseller and their experience with water crashes is that DJI will refuse to repair, because their experience is that even if they clean up and dry, the damage could "re-appear" later on. I suspect that some parts are worse at drying than other or something like that.
                        So it's an insurrance thing now... and my P4P is reduced to spare parts

Comment

Working...
                        X