No announcement yet.

Tokina 16-28 f/2.8 with PL mount looks interesting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It was my understanding that Zeiss took the original Contax Distagon 15mm design of 13 elements in 12 groups and added two aspheric lenses to the design increasing performance from f3.5 to f2.8 but loosing 4 inches at close focus in the production of the newer Zeiss ZF & CP.2 15mm lenses. For what it's worth, the original Distagon lens design came about in 1950. Do you have some info which contradicts this? I would love to see the comparison you shot between the Zeiss CP.2 15mm & the Tokina 16-26mm PL showing the Zeiss 15mm running circles around the Tokina lens, any chance you could post this? By the way, I also own over 20 Zeiss lenses.

All the Best!

Dave

Comment

I just shot with Tokina 28-70mm f2.8 this weekend and what a treat. I forget what a pain in arse fixed primes are!

Anyway I don't see point of PL mount tokina when you can convert with adapter.
      Dennis Hingsberg

Comment

Originally posted by starcentral View Post
        Anyway I don't see point of PL mount tokina when you can convert with adapter.
        Well it would be a good match for my PL mount Duclos 11-16mm with everything fully manual, and no need to change out lens mount adapters.

Comment

Originally posted by David W. Jones View Post
          Well it would be a good match for my PL mount Duclos 11-16mm with everything fully manual, and no need to change out lens mount adapters.
          True enough, and if you are running a good mix of native PL mount and non-PL mount lenses you can always equip your non-PL lenses with dedicated PL adapters. I know some guys on the forums here who have gone and done that. It's true nothing can be worse than fiddling with adapters during a shoot...
          Dennis Hingsberg

Comment

[QUOTE=David W. Jones;1986223734]It was my understanding that Zeiss took the original Contax Distagon 15mm design of 13 elements in 12 groups and added two aspheric lenses to the design increasing performance from f3.5 to f2.8 but loosing 4 inches at close focus in the production of the newer Zeiss ZF & CP.2 15mm lenses. For what it's worth, the original Distagon lens design came about in 1950. Do you have some info which contradicts this? I would love to see the comparison you shot between the Zeiss CP.2 15mm & the Tokina 16-26mm PL showing the Zeiss 15mm running circles around the Tokina lens, any chance you could post this? By the way, I also own over 20 Zeiss lenses.

All the Best!

this might help from decent photographer.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/zeiss/slr/15mm-f28.htm

as it says, the best superwide he ever used..

Comment

Well it is pain to use Primes but at the end of the day you get rewarded better pictures because primes are the way to go.
              Tokina especially DUCLOS one is fantastic value for money(i own 2), but fully open it is not as sharp.
              http://matthewduclos.wordpress.com/2...ra-wide-fatty/

Comment

Does anyone know if Duclos lengthened the throw on their converted Tokina 11-16 lens?

Comment

I think it remains the same...

Comment

Spoke with Tokina rep at PhotoPlus NYC show. They did not have the PL on the floor but he definitely knew the lens. No price yet. Shipping hopefully around NAB. Operant word is hopefully.

Also got a look at the new Zeiss primes and Zeiss zooms. Interesting thing is that there is an available interchangeable mount kit for PL, Canon, Nikon, and Sony E (I think it was E, but have to check the press kit). User changeable. Comes with mount, tools and shims. Tricky operation which rep said takes about 10 minutes until you learn it and thereafter under 5 minutes.

Ned Soltz

Comment

Originally posted by nsoltz View Post

Also got a look at the new Zeiss primes and Zeiss zooms. Interesting thing is that there is an available interchangeable mount kit for PL, Canon, Nikon, and Sony E (I think it was E, but have to check the press kit). User changeable. Comes with mount, tools and shims. Tricky operation which rep said takes about 10 minutes until you learn it and thereafter under 5 minutes.

Ned Soltz
                      That has existed since the onset of the CP.2 version. The fourth form is not E mount, it is MFT.

Comment

Working...
                      X