Sony F3 CMOS skew?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sony F3 CMOS skew?

Anyone have any details on how fast the CMOS readout is on the F3? I haven't seen any jellocam effects in any of the footage that's out there, but I also haven't seen any whip-pans or any shaky handheld work. Any owners experiment with this yet?

http://vimeo.com/18331935
    Henry Epstein / CinemaElectronika
    Arri Alexa Mini / Red Epic-W Helium 8K / RED Epic-X Dragon / RED Epic-X Mysterium / Sony PMW-F55 4KRAW / Sony PXW-FS5 / Nikon D810 / Arri Ultra Primes / Leica R Primes / Zeiss CP.2 PL Primes / Nikon ED Zooms / Odyssey 7Q+ / Easyrig Cinema 3 & Flowcine Serene "Extended" / Ronin Full Size "Extended"

Comment

I'd love to see a comparison between the F3 and the Red.
      This space for rent.

Comment

Thanks for the vid! No sooner do I post this than I find this as well:

http://vimeo.com/20648667

Jim Jannard has stated that the EPIC has twice as fast a readout as the RED ONE, so while the F3 is certainly much faster than the 5D, you'd think the EPIC (or, more to the point, EPIC-S) will be faster than the F3...

Comment

If only that "S" actually existed. It will be a long wait so I look forward to more tests on what is real and costs less than $20k.

Comment

Hmmm.

I see some jello in that footage. I come from a film background and therefore do not have a lot of experience shooting video, so I don't have much of a yardstick to measure it against.

To me the F3 obviously does a better job than a DSLR.
            But how does it compare to the EX1 etc? I assume it's similar.

It doesn't look any worse than a Red One.

It would be interesting to see some footage of something like an airplane propeller or strobes on an ambulance.

But to me it looks perfectly usable.

Comment

Look here:
              by Schumacher camera :

http://vimeo.com/20899638

The Red MX and F3 skew seem to be in the same ball park.

Comment

The RED MX skew is extremely tolerable, that is to say the F3 is as well.

Truth be told, if you getting skew alot of skew on a RED youre panning to fast. 7 second rule.
                Cinematographer
                Sigma Pro

www.timurcivan.com 917-589-4424

Comment

Originally posted by TimurCivan View Post
                  Truth be told, if you getting skew alot of skew on a RED youre panning to fast. 7 second rule.
                  In MOST situations, sure. But what if you're shooting Saving Private Ryan or, say, Black Swan? The opening scene in Black Swan has some amazing, handheld camerawork. There aren't any whip-pans, but the shake in general -- you don't think these CMOS cameras would skew with shaky handheld camerawork? That's a legitimate stylistic choice in many situations, and that's what I'm wondering about specifically -- not tripod-mounted skew tests, but rather real-world handheld shake.

Comment

Originally posted by rbilsbor View Post
                    In MOST situations, sure. But what if you're shooting Saving Private Ryan or, say, Black Swan? The opening scene in Black Swan has some amazing, handheld camerawork. There aren't any whip-pans, but the shake in general -- you don't think these CMOS cameras would skew with shaky handheld camerawork? That's a legitimate stylistic choice in many situations, and that's what I'm wondering about specifically -- not tripod-mounted skew tests, but rather real-world handheld shake.
                    Well, considering that the F3's skew seems to be more or less on the same level as the Red One, take a look at Gamer and see if the skew in it is acceptable.

Comment

Skew is only one artifact of the CMOS rolling shutter; handheld work is usually more susceptible to showing "jello" than "skew". The faster the sensor scans, the milder the jello effect is, all other things being equal.
                      The AU-EVA1 Book - The DVX200 Book - The UX180 & UX90 Book - Lighting For Film & TV - Sound For Film & TV

Comment

Working...
                      X