This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bwhitz View Post
    Wow that's an expensive piece of garbage for 20K. It can only do 60p in 720p? Really? And no over-cranking like the AF-100? How is this better than a $800 T2i... which is fully progressive and not wrapped in that BS 60i crap. The only thing it's got going is that fact that there will probably be less aliasing... which is not work and extra $19k.. and 4:2:2 10-bit output.
    Are you familiar with the terms:

F35?
    Log?
    PL?
    Dual SDI?
    Don't be a BillyBob...

Comment

Originally posted by PerroneFord View Post
      Are you familiar with the terms:

F35?
      Log?
      PL?
      Dual SDI?
      F35 is just Sony's term for 35mm sized sensor area. The Rebel has an APC-sensor, same as the 7D, which is basically super-35 size. 5D still trumps all of them with FF35... Are you familiar with that term?

PL...? As in PL mount? I don't see any problem with paying for the 7D PL mount. You're still coming in under $5k.

Dual SDI? Big deal. That just adds to the cost factor if you want higher color resolution. Still doesn't change the fact that it can only record on-board 4:2:0 color space... Which don't get me wrong, I think that's fine, but not when $800 cameras are doing it. I'd like to see you rig up your sony with dual SDI recorders and mount it on a steady cam rig. Some things in the film-making process are more important that image quality.

Comment

Originally posted by carlweston View Post
        what i am saying is ... an apc-c sized competitor to the af-100 is needed because the aps-c lens selection is larger and better..the last thing I would want to do is to put a aps-c lens on a 4/3 cam...I want sony/canon/nikon to create aps-c camera!
        any and all lenses that work on a aps-c will work on a 4/3 camera, the nice thing about a micro 4/3 like the Panasonic AF-100 one can use Leica still lenses which some people fell are the best glass made and yes all pro s35 and 35 Cine lenses will work as well.

Comment

F35 is just Sony's term for 35mm sized sensor area. The Rebel has an APC-sensor, same as the 7D, which is basically super-35 size. 5D still trumps all of them with FF35... Are you familiar with that term?
          It is? That's interesting. I thought the F35 was a Sony Digital Cinema camera. I could have SWORN I'd seen pictures of it on numerous movies. Oh look, here's a photo of it:

sony-f35-camera.jpg

PL...? As in PL mount? I don't see any problem with paying for the 7D PL mount. You're still coming in under $5k.
          Awesome. Good luck with that.

Dual SDI? Big deal. That just adds to the cost factor if you want higher color resolution. Still doesn't change the fact that it can only record on-board 4:2:0 color space... Which don't get me wrong, I think that's fine, but not when $800 cameras are doing it.
          Yes, Dual SDI is a big deal. Especially to those shooting for VFX, shooting for 35mm film out, or anything else where having uncompressed color is worth the additional weight and expense. I am quite disappointed to see that this unit is recording 4:2:0 as well, and I hope that at some point that's changed. And I hope for the same with the EX1/EX3 camras as well.

I'd like to see you rig up your sony with dual SDI recorders and mount it on a steady cam rig. Some things in the film-making process are more important that image quality.
          If you can rig up the IMAX cameras (as used on The Dark Knight) on Steadicams, or the Genesis (as in Apocolypto, 21, etc.) putting this little thing on a Steadicam is a BREEZE.
          Don't be a BillyBob...

Comment

Wow that's an expensive piece of garbage for 20K. It can only do 60p in 720p? Really? And no over-cranking like the AF-100? How is this better than a $800 T2i... which is fully progressive and not wrapped in that BS 60i crap. The only thing it's got going is that fact that there will probably be less aliasing... which is not work and extra $19k.. and 4:2:2 10-bit output.
            LOL. This cam is designed to be used on much higher budget feature films and stepping in as b cam to an f35, not to shoot skate videos with. 50fps is possible out of dual sdi if you really really want it
            (9:38:44 PM) ngubbet: ROYGBIV 4:4:4:4:4:4:4

Comment

I'd like to see you rig up your sony with dual SDI recorders and mount it on a steady cam rig. Some things in the film-making process are more important that image quality.
              Paired up with a Cinedeck ($8,000) you could record 4:4:4 Uncompressed, or any of a number of other format. No problem fitting that on a Steadicam.
              Dylan Reeve // Edit Geek
              Editor / Post Production Supervisor / Geek

Comment

Originally posted by DylanReeve View Post
                Paired up with a Cinedeck ($8,000) you could record 4:4:4 Uncompressed, or any of a number of other format. No problem fitting that on a Steadicam.
                Ok, well all the DSLR's plus Scarlet and Epic will be able to fit on a Glidecam 2000 or 4000. I'm not talking about that $10k vest and arm crap.

Originally posted by PerroneFord View Post
                It is? That's interesting. I thought the F35 was a Sony Digital Cinema camera. I could have SWORN I'd seen pictures of it on numerous movies. Oh look, here's a photo of it:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25483[/ATTACH]

Really? I quite aware. My point was that F35 is no more than just a digital 35mm camera. Just like how the T2i and 7D are also digital 35mm cameras... You made it sound like there was something magical about the title "F35".

Originally posted by Fohdeesha View Post
                LOL. This cam is designed to be used on much higher budget feature films and stepping in as b cam to an f35, not to shoot skate videos with. 50fps is possible out of dual sdi if you really really want it
                Haha... The only reason that there are so many stupid skate videos is because the freakin camera is only $800 dollars. It's doesn't change the fact that this $20k Sony cam and a $800 DSLR you can get at Best Buy are both capable of the same resolutions and frame-rates. I bet Sony sure is glad that there are still "Pros" like you that fall for that professional equipment stigma.
                Last edited by bwhitz; 11-08-2010, 07:33 PM.

Comment

The F3 has several features the AF100 doesn't have. Its a matter of whether those features have value to you as to whether the camera is worthwhile to you. Obviously those features do have value to many industry professionals.

Less noise and aliasing is a real big deal. 4.2.2 and 10 bit output is also a big deal for many people. An no, 60i is not the only way it records.

Comment

Haha... The only reason that there are so many stupid skate videos is because the freakin camera is only $800 dollars. It's doesn't change the fact that this $20k Sony cam and a $800 DSLR you can get at Best Buy are both capable of the same resolutions and frame-rates.
                    bwhitz is hilarious. LMFAO

Comment

Originally posted by dcloud View Post
                      Hahaha. Somebody drank to much kool-aide in DSLR-land and isn't coming back.

If cinematography wasn't infinite, I'm sure I would have found the end by now.

Comment

Originally posted by dcloud View Post
                        I hope you're pointing out my hilarity in the sense that I'm correct and awesome... because everybody else on this site is apparently retarded and easily tricked by dumbass sony.

Originally posted by Duke M. View Post
                        The F3 has several features the AF100 doesn't have. Its a matter of whether those features have value to you as to whether the camera is worthwhile to you. Obviously those features do have value to many industry professionals.

Less noise and aliasing is a real big deal. 4.2.2 and 10 bit output is also a big deal for many people. An no, 60i is not the only way it records.
                        Of course... but are they 19 thousand dollars of a big deal? Nope. And I'm also not saying that a T2i is a professional product... I'm saying that this Sony sucks balls because it's basically a $20k Rebel. I can't believe how many stupid people are not seeing this. It's sad to see that some of you are even working in the industry... wow. No wonder the industry is regressing.

Here I'll spell it out again for people who are slow (i.e. everyone in this thread but me):

$800 - Canon T2i Rebel: S35mm 1080p (24p/30p) 720p (60p) H.264 45mps... slightly worse codec, but higher bit-rate

$20,000 - Sony F3 "crap machine": S35mm 1080p (24p/30p) 720p (60p) Xdcam 25mps... better codec, but lower bit-rate, both are long-GOP. On-board audio (which you aren't using if you're a professional, right?) and external capture options.

$28,000 - Red Epic: S35mm 5k RAW 120fps, HDRx imaging, Small form factor, touch and track focus ect...

Are you "Pros" not seeing the errors in this pricing hierarchy? Or are you just subconsciously compulsive to expensive cameras that say "professional" on them even if the technology doesn't warrant it?
                        Last edited by bwhitz; 11-08-2010, 10:49 PM.

Comment

the whole site is retarded. including me.
                          i wont buy a sony because of your reasoning but because i dont like sony :P

Comment

Guys, he's clearly very young or just trying to get a laugh. Some of the things he said would only be able to be said by someone with no experience whatsoever in the film industry or a child

"that 10k and vest arm crap" That really made me lol

You realize the type of people in the market for the sony will most definitely be using "that vest and arm crap"

All the still cameras you listed are absolutely not even to be considered here, I wouldn't even risk using one for a freelance wedding shoot, the aliasing and moire are not acceptable outside of youtube. they have the same resolution and framerates, just like a canon dslr has the same resolution and framerates as an alexa. Cameras must be exactly the same! We're discussing professional equipment here, I think you're in the wrong forum
                            (9:38:44 PM) ngubbet: ROYGBIV 4:4:4:4:4:4:4

Comment

Let's keep the discussion in one place:

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread...-35mm-XDCAM-EX

Comment

Working...
                              X