• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Latest FS700 music video

Good Morning.
    I just wanted to share my new film for the band Snow Ghosts

http://vimeo.com/148731238

Shot mostly on my trusty Sony FS700 and Odyssey 7Q in Highspeed 2K Raw to Apple Pro Res.
    Graded and composited in Resolve by the supremely talented Tancredi Monaco (http://www.tancredimonaco.com)
    Its a practical effects based film using long exposure photographic animation and stop motion. The song recently featured on the the X-men Apocalypse Trailer.
    Director: Craig Murray (https://vimeo.com/209mm), DoP: Myself (www.colinelves.com)...
    Colin Elves
    Director of Photography
    London, UK
    www.colinelves.com

Great stuff!
    Sony FX9 | FS700R | A7S | Odyssey 7Q+ | Atomos Ninja V
    FE: Sony 24-70/2.8 GM, 70-200/2.8 GM, 28-135/4, 24/1.4, 50/1.8, 90/2.8, 28-70, SEL: 50/1.8, 35/1.8, 18-105/4
    Samyang 16, 35 & 85mm Cine
    Sachtler Flowtech 75 | Benro S8
    MacBook Pro 2018 6-core i7 2.6 ghz / 32gb ram / 512gb HD | macOS Catalina
    Hackintosh i7-8700K 6-core 3.7 ghz / 32 gb ram / 512gb NVMe / Radeon RX 580 | macOS Catalina

Comment

Originally posted by dmitrizigany View Post
      Great stuff!
      Thanks Buddy!
      Colin Elves
      Director of Photography
      London, UK
      www.colinelves.com

Comment

Yes great visuals, great sound - love it

Comment

thanks!
          Colin Elves
          Director of Photography
          London, UK
          www.colinelves.com

Comment

great work! I loved the color and the lighting. I especially liked the lighting in the first scene.

Comment

Originally posted by EAumen View Post
              great work! I loved the color and the lighting. I especially liked the lighting in the first scene.
              Thanks EAumen! As always it was super simple with me: a hive plasma par with a 5ft octagon softbox as soft key and a 1.2K HMI fresnel as back light - all run off a little 3Kw petrol generator.
              Colin Elves
              Director of Photography
              London, UK
              www.colinelves.com

Comment

Really great! Love the music as well and buying up all their albums

Colin, if you don't mind me asking:

- Were the skies white / overcast, or are they blown / creative decision to make them white? Just wondering if the FS700 could have kept color / detail in the sky and that level of exposure with the actors.

- Do you remember roughly what ISO you shot at and what lens / aperture?

Thanks for sharing, and really beautiful work!

Comment

Brilliant, very nice work, the lighting is well done especially.
                  Thanks for reading my post

Jonathan Warner
                  Corporate filmmaker

Comment

Looks awesome! Good job to the team.

What lenses did you use? I'm loving the flares! Or are they comped in?

Comment

Originally posted by hoju View Post
                      Really great! Love the music as well and buying up all their albums

Colin, if you don't mind me asking:

- Were the skies white / overcast, or are they blown / creative decision to make them white? Just wondering if the FS700 could have kept color / detail in the sky and that level of exposure with the actors.

- Do you remember roughly what ISO you shot at and what lens / aperture?

Thanks for sharing, and really beautiful work!
                      Thanks Hoju! Glad you liked it.

Well. The skies might have been overcast (I actually think we had some sun in the morning though) but to be honest, I don't think there's a camera out there that can hold the skies when shooting in the dark of a forrest and still maintain relatively clean blacks (or at all) you're looking at something like 20 stops of DR required I should think. Maybe a Red using HDRx - but then you couldn't shoot slow mo and it would be a total mess with all the running about.

ISO would have been an assumed 1,000 (using the LCRec709 -1 LUT) which gives us about 11 stops of usable DR. As we were shooting Pro Res there was no room for highlight recovery via the raw (except what you can achieve with the RGB colour mixer in Resolve). I'm pretty sure the sky had no detail in it though - it was all burnt out.

We were shooting 240fps so shutter was probably wide open. A lot of it was on the 14mm ( I think) so that would have been max 2.8 - although I suspect I probably shot at f4 as that's my go-to stop.
                      Last edited by Colinelves; 12-16-2015, 02:38 AM.
                      Colin Elves
                      Director of Photography
                      London, UK
                      www.colinelves.com

Comment

Originally posted by pythonman View Post
                        Brilliant, very nice work, the lighting is well done especially.
                        Thanks Jonathan!
                        Colin Elves
                        Director of Photography
                        London, UK
                        www.colinelves.com

Comment

Originally posted by samphibbs View Post
                          Looks awesome! Good job to the team.

What lenses did you use? I'm loving the flares! Or are they comped in?
                          Thanks Sam!

Well, apart from the Lens baby it was my Canon FDs 14mm. 85mm (probably) and maybe the 35mm and 50mm (can't really remember). Craig says he only added a semi flare to the top of the monsters - which is the light from the animation, but that's just part of the comp between animation and live action. Everything else is a live flare.
                          Colin Elves
                          Director of Photography
                          London, UK
                          www.colinelves.com

Comment

This is a fine example of my confusion about why people really want to spend (big) money on cameras or glass.

I think it looks really good with a (fairly) cheap package

S
                            http://www.sammorganmoore.com View my feature Film

Comment

Great video. Not a fan of the lighting for the ending when it's all dark, it was a little harsh for my taste but that's probably just me. Everything else was great.

What time of day was it while shooting the first half? And did you use a shoulder rig for most of the shots or any kind of glider for the running shots?

Comment

Working...
                              X