No announcement yet.

Sony XLR-K3M

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@Abe, I'm not sure if there's any compression on the Rode units. For the internal recording there is a compressed and uncompressed mode and I just leave it on uncompressed... @ Norbro -- yeah I have to update my mini-shotgun. I didn't realized the VMP's native gain was so low...

Comment

Originally posted by scorsesefan View Post
      @Abe, I'm not sure if there's any compression on the Rode units. For the internal recording there is a compressed and uncompressed mode and I just leave it on uncompressed... @ Norbro -- yeah I have to update my mini-shotgun. I didn't realized the VMP's native gain was so low...
      if I had to guess, I'd guess that the Rode wgII is recording the same file on both sides of the transmission? because it's sending it digitally, so it probably digitizes the file and then send the same file that it's recording on the transmitter. but then it spits back out an audio signal from the receiver to the camera, right? so I guess there could be some additional noise introduced there...but I would expect it to come out in camera sounding pretty much just like it does on the transmitter file. but I don't know that much about audio

but yeah, sometimes I feel like my tascam dr-10L recordings sound richer than my Sennheiser G3 sound, which I attribute in part to the tascam recording the signal directly from a wired mic vs the sennheiser converting the signal to RF and then back to audio. of course, that's an RF transmission vs 2.4Ghz of the rode, totally different animals. and i don't have total confidence in the theory
      www.VideoAbe.com

"In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant. Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant." -Harvey

Comment

Originally posted by scorsesefan View Post
        It doesn't make it a bad microphone, it's just not as sensitive as others.

A $2400 CMIT 5 has pretty much the same sensitivity (I linked to the green screen one because it's cool): https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...icrophone.html

A lot of professional gear needs powerful, crystal clean gain from Sound Devices, etc.

Or even if the microphone hears very well, sometimes you will have to have it 5-6 feet over heads and it needs help (preamp).

Comment

Originally posted by ahalpert View Post
          if I had to guess, I'd guess that the Rode wgII is recording the same file on both sides of the transmission? because it's sending it digitally, so it probably digitizes the file and then send the same file that it's recording on the transmitter. but then it spits back out an audio signal from the receiver to the camera, right? so I guess there could be some additional noise introduced there...but I would expect it to come out in camera sounding pretty much just like it does on the transmitter file. but I don't know that much about audio

but yeah, sometimes I feel like my tascam dr-10L recordings sound richer than my Sennheiser G3 sound, which I attribute in part to the tascam recording the signal directly from a wired mic vs the sennheiser converting the signal to RF and then back to audio. of course, that's an RF transmission vs 2.4Ghz of the rode, totally different animals. and i don't have total confidence in the theory
          Yeah, my Tentacle E/Oscar mic combo sounds very rich and full even compared to a G3...

Comment

Working...
          X