Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sigpic

Independent Filmmaker
    BMD URSA Mini 4K/Avid Media Composer/NukeX/Blender/Mixcraft/ProTools/Resolve Studio

Feature Films
    Wulf - 2008 | Leap - 2010 | Leap: Rise of the Beast - 2011 | Surviving The Wild - 2020

Comment

Tuesday, May 31, 2022

Music.

I am not a musician, but I can hear an eight count. I know a few guitar chords and I can pluck out a tune or two on the piano, but that's it. I can't sing. I can't read sheet music. Yet somehow I take an active role in the music for my films.

It started in my high school video production class back in 2002-2003. I would edit a 1-3 minute project by cutting the picture first and then finding some song to drop in. Time after time, I found that my natural editing rhythm would sync up with beats in the song we'd rip from a CD and drop in. I made a short film for my senior project and ripped soundtracks to drop in as this was the only way I knew to get music for my movie.

A year later, I decided I needed a way to get music that was my own and purchased Sony Acid Music Studio. It had something like a thousand loops and I learned how to make loop-based music using this technique. I "scored" a bunch of my short films this way and honestly thought that I was doing it like Robert Rodriguez (You all know what I mean )

In 2007, I made my first feature film and I knew that I needed original score but had no idea how to do it, yet knew I'd figure something out. I went to see TMNT at the theater with a buddy and a guy I knew from high school was working behind the counter. We started talking and I told him about my upcoming movie and he told me he just got done going to school for film scoring and asked if he could work on it. I agreed and just like that, I had my very own composer!

Being classically trained, my composer could read music and did his scoring in Finale, which is a notation based software. Once I finished the rough cut, I gave him a DVD and he guided me through the process, leading our first spotting session. He would compose by writing notation in Finale, export out an .mp3, and email it to me to drop into the movie. Once the music was finalized, he created MIDI files and had another friend of his export the MIDI using real sampled instruments. For the B-Grade slasher that this was, the process worked out fine.

In 2009, I was on feature number two. Another buddy who was into filmmaking showed me his new iMac and was giving me a tour of Garage Band. I thought that it was the greatest thing that I had seen and set out to see if there was a Windows equivalent. That's when I found Mixcraft. It was in version 4.0 at the time, but it looked to have all the same features as Garage Band. I found some hack workarounds that let me use the computer keyboard as a music keyboard and started fiddling with creating actual score.

A week later, I was at Best Buy and they had an M-Audio USB keyboard for $99. I purchased it and went to town experimenting. My buddy, who introduced me to Garage Band, he liked it so much that he went out and bought the same keyboard. I watched a few YouTube videos on music theory and convinced myself that I could score my film.

^- My editing and music setup from 2009, running Vegas Pro 7 -^

I ended up doing all the original score, save for one track, by myself in Mixcraft 4. A lot of my tracks were loop based as Mixcraft had some nice loops, but I did a lot of keyboard based scoring as well. My composer from the first film did do one track for me, and he used Mixcraft too after I had turned him onto it. Honestly, my tracks were not the best, but I had fun doing it, and it allowed me to move quickly.

By 2010, I was on feature number three. By this time, I had gotten a second computer just for creating music and my composer wanted to try doing the score himself again, soI let him. The working relationship that we came up with was that I'd create an eight note long melody or motif to establish mood, and he would create a track based on my idea. This was by far my favorite way to work as I felt that I got to be creative in the music without having to really know what I was doing and it could still sound great. Since we both used Mixcraft, I could send him project files, and he could send them back to me. Eventually, we brought on another friend who used Fruity Loops (now FL Studio) to do percussion. The two guys did a great job and I gave them their own commentary on the DVD since, aside from me, they were more involved with the production than anybody else.

^- Composer 1 at work on my system -^

^- Both of my music guys -^

Fast forward to today as I'm working on the new Leap movie. I've upgraded Mixcraft to version 8, and now I can import video to my Mixcraft timeline and write directly to that! I also have a new keyboard, the M-Audio Oxygen 49, since my first was destroyed in a house fire. Since I know live out in Montana, I'm currently doing the music for the opening scene I'm working on by myself. I still don't know all the nuances about music and how it works, but I know what I like and I'm trying to trust my gut. My current process is to leave Mixcraft open in the background while I'm working in Blender or Nuke and as I wait for caches, bakes and renders, I noodle around the keyboard. If I find something I like, I flip over to Mixcraft and record it. I've toyed with learning Cubase or something else, but just like with Blender, Mixcraft is what I know and I don't feel like learning a new tool.

I spent a few hours yesterday going through my music notes (no pun intended) was able to piece together something that I think sounds really nice and sets the vibe for this opening sequence. I really wanted to pay homage to the first two Leap films, so there's hints of theme from them. It's not overly complicated, but with the instruments I'm using, it works. I had my wife listen and she thought it reminded her a bit of the opening of "Heroes", so I guess that's a compliment. I'll be sharing the intro video sometime this week or next, so I'll be sure to post it here.

A problem I'm having right now though is that it sounds great on my computer system with my sub and good monitors, but it's not sounding so great on my laptop or phone when I watch it on YouTube. I thought it might be my levels, but they're set to -6 for dialogue and -10 -12 for music.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

^- Scoring in Mixcraft 8 for the new Leap -^
      sigpic

Independent Filmmaker
      BMD URSA Mini 4K/Avid Media Composer/NukeX/Blender/Mixcraft/ProTools/Resolve Studio

Feature Films
      Wulf - 2008 | Leap - 2010 | Leap: Rise of the Beast - 2011 | Surviving The Wild - 2020

Comment

Alright, El Director, you've got me emotionally invested in your progress because you've been mostly talking to yourself about this for the last 10 years and now I'm rooting for you.

Comment

Originally posted by NorBro View Post
          Alright, El Director, you've got me emotionally invested in your progress because you've been mostly talking to yourself about this for the last 10 years and now I'm rooting for you.
          Appreciate it. Hoping you'll see as this goes on that this isn't the same movie I wanted to make back then. Less pluck, and a smaller, more interesting story.
          sigpic

Independent Filmmaker

Feature Films

Comment

Mocked up a new poster this morning. The parkour figure is me from 2008 and the background is two images I shot with my iPhone last year. This won't be the final design by any means, but it's something to keep me excited for the time being. One of the core concepts that's survived since the first drafts 10 years ago is that I want to take the parkour out of the urban environment and into a mountain landscape. Natural Parkour.

sigpic

Independent Filmmaker

Feature Films

Comment

Prologue for "Leap"
              sigpic

Independent Filmmaker

Feature Films

Comment

A little VFX testing. Shot on iPhone 14 Pro, VFX in NukeX
                sigpic

Independent Filmmaker

Feature Films

Comment

Originally posted by El Director View Post
                  Mocked up a new poster this morning. The parkour figure is me from 2008 and the background is two images I shot with my iPhone last year. This won't be the final design by any means, but it's something to keep me excited for the time being. One of the core concepts that's survived since the first drafts 10 years ago is that I want to take the parkour out of the urban environment and into a mountain landscape. Natural Parkour.
                  I'm already working on the sequel. It takes place a few years after the original storyline.

Attached Files
                  Doug Jensen, Sony camcorder instructor
                  HOW TO MAKE MONEY SHOOTING STOCK
                  http://www.dougjensen.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Jensen View Post

I'm already working on the sequel. It takes place a few years after the original storyline.

Dude! That's great! Love it!
                    sigpic

Independent Filmmaker

Feature Films

Comment

I'm glad you liked it and took it in the spirit I intended. Good luck on the first film in the series, later we can talk about my ideas for the sequel. :-)

Comment

Casting Begins.
                        This shoot is going to creep up on me quicker than I realize so I decided to start casting today. I'm beginning the process with a craigslist post, as that had usually worked well in the past. One thing I do to help filter out spam is ask that potential actors send a headshot (even if it's just on a phone), a list of previous acting credits - theater or film, and a code phrase in the subject box. You'd be amazed how many people can't follow simple directions.

At this point, I'm really just looking for my two main leads since I need to get them going with the parkour stuff soon. After craigslist, I'll be reaching out through some Facebook groups and also the local theaters. We only have a community college out here, but I'll reach out to them too.

I've also started storyboarding with my favorite app, Previs Pro. I imported my Final Draft script and it automatically creates all the scenes and populates them with each character. Now it's a matter of building out the scenes with all the set dressing and props and then I can start "shooting" using the AR feature.
                        sigpic

Independent Filmmaker

Feature Films

Comment

So this is cool, about a year ago as I was starting on the script, I was getting ready to pitch to a potential client and through the staff page of their website came across someone that has the look for my female lead. In her brief bio she said that she was a Christian, wanted to be an actress, and someday compete on Ninja Warrior - meaning she'd be a great fit for the parkour. While I now have over 100 submissions on Backstage.com, none of them were local. So I did a local search within 50 miles of Kalispell, MT and she popped up, along with about 13 others that had the right look for Blake or Liz - the two leads. I reached out to her, she's interested, and is currently reading the script before deciding if she wants to audition.

Then, last night, I got a contact submission from my website. It was from a guy that was raised here in Kalispell, he lived in LA for four years where he did a few indie projects, some stunt work, competed on Ninja Warrior, and is an MMA guy. Now he's back in the area and wants to meet up. He said he saw my post on Backstage but his profile still says LA and he wanted to "cut through the noise" so he messaged me directly. We're doing lunch next week to discuss the film. Even if he's not a good fit for this role, we'll probably end up working together on something else since I'm also a martial artist and parkour guy.

So yeah, really like Backstage at the moment. Especially since it didn't cost anything.

I did receive another reply to my Craigslist ad. This one was an older actor who could be a great fit for Trevor, the father character. He's worked with Lou Gosset and send a photo to prove it.

I also started playing with some new title design ideas. The font I've been using the past 10 years for the film was recently used on The Orville. While I was using it first, now that's all people associate it with. So now I'm playing with some new ideas:

I'm not in love with it yet, but I think there's potential and like where it could be headed.
                          sigpic

Independent Filmmaker

Feature Films

Comment

Had a few auditions yesterday. One was over Zoom due to the actor being three hours away. The other was in person at a local park. I'm really not a fan of Zoom, but figured I'd give it a go. The audition went okay, but the the second audition for the female lead went great. She gets it. Great attitude, great acting, and loves the idea of a low budget film. I think I'll offer her the part. Still trying to figure out the male lead though. They guy I auditioned did a good job, but he didn't blow me away. The search goes on.

sigpic

Independent Filmmaker

Feature Films

Comment

One month to go. Lots to do.

I'm halfway through "Directing Actors" and wow is it changing how I'll direct this movie! Some of it is a little touchy-feely for me, but I can see why it's beneficial for working with actors. It's info like what's in the book that will add a layer of production value that we don't often talk about. Usually we think of the camera and what's in front of it. Great sets, cool props, amazing stunts... But actors are in front of the camera too, and the better I can help them do their job, the better the film will be.

I've had to revamp the shooting schedule a few times to accommodate the actors availability, but it's making for a much tighter shoot and I think that will be a good thing. It keeps the energy up.

I made an announcement at my church about the film and that I'm looking for some locations and actors. I had one lady that was super excited and wanted to act, but once she read the script, she had a problem with one specific scene that ended up being a deal breaker for her. I've racked my brain to see if there's a way to address and mitigate her concern, but I got nothing. So the casting search continues.

Starting next week, I'll be reaching out to all the businesses that I've been wanting to shoot at. I've been trying to frequent them regularly so they get used to seeing me and know who I am, that way when I ask them if I can shoot there, it's not like I'm a total stranger.

Equipment-wise, I've purchased everything I need. I have a large mat for stunt work, a large diffusion screen with stands for shooting outdoors, reflectors, c-stands, audio recorder, mic, XLRs, tons of lights and more.

Audio-wise, I'm trying to decide what to do. I have a Zoom H4n with an AT875r mic. I also have a boom holder for a c-stand in the event I don't have someone to hold it. I'm also not opposed to doing ADR if I need to. Basically, I'm trying to decide if it's worth recording my sound separately or just run it into my camera. Recording in camera will save time on set since I don't have to hit record on two devices and slate every shot. I'm just wondering if what my camera records via XLR is indistinguishable from the Zoom in a theater or on the TV?
                              sigpic

Independent Filmmaker

Feature Films

Comment

Originally posted by El Director View Post
                                Audio-wise, I'm trying to decide what to do. I have a Zoom H4n with an AT875r mic. I also have a boom holder for a c-stand in the event I don't have someone to hold it. I'm also not opposed to doing ADR if I need to. Basically, I'm trying to decide if it's worth recording my sound separately or just run it into my camera. Recording in camera will save time on set since I don't have to hit record on two devices and slate every shot. I'm just wondering if what my camera records via XLR is indistinguishable from the Zoom in a theater or on the TV?
                                Should be easy enough to find out the audio specifications of your camera. I'd look it up but I don't know what you own.
                                If it is a Sony camera then it is probably 24-bit/48kHz -- and that is plenty good enough. I certainly would not use external recorder without a real strong need for it, such as if I had to record more sources than there are channels on the camera. For example, if I need to record 5 mics, then I'd need an external recorder because my cameras only have four channels.

BTW, Im skeptical that a $169 shotgun is good enough.

Comment

Working...
                                X