This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jon Oskar
    "I think it was Jerred who rightly mentioned that LEDs can be "difficult" on the subject's eyes; hence good optics and diffusion is ESSENTIAL; something we have found good solutions for."

Can you elaborate?

Well, first off, my bad: it's Jarred, not Jerred!
    Secondly; any light that originates from a small surface area is perceived as VERY bright by human eyes, and some have criticized these tiny LEDs for being somewhat unpleasant for the talent/subject to look at; i.e. it strains their eyes.
    The advantage of our current LED lights is that they are spread out over a larger area, and we ship out color correcting gel, AS WELL as "Light Tough Rolux" diffusion by Rosco Laboratories Inc. to make best use of our lights, especially for car applications, etc.
    Works like a charm, and we also offer suction cups and vacuum cups; we tested the vacuum cups on a melamine wall and it held a small camcorder for over 100 hours!!

So, in summary: having a SUPER bright light originating from a TINY surface can be "stressful" if you are the one in front of the cam looking at the light. We have not had negative feedback from our lights in this regard, but the Lamina 1x1" LED engine is just WAY too powerful without proper diffusion.

Hope this helps...I could go on...
    Last edited by vidled; 05-04-2006, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by vidled
      lol... was that a special effects shot?
      http://www.wizedot.com

Comment

Originally posted by redindian
        Hehe, you mean a little After Effects? No, I am not that good!
        BTW, we took the same light a few days later, and carried on beating it up:
        http://vidled.com/destruction3.mov

Comment

Originally posted by redindian
          I think that any question regarding the Napoleon's Dynamite "look" can from now on be put to vidled. He has cracked it.

Comment

Hehe, you mean a little After Effects? No, I am not that good!
            BTW, we took the same light a few days later, and carried on beating it up:
            http://vidled.com/destruction3.mov
            You should have said you sold it, three days later!

Comment

vidled - $245.00

Kino Flo Mini-Flo 9" Kit - $829.17

Litepanel DV kit- $685.00

Hi,

Some observations/questions

Isn't comparing "vidled" with "lightpanel" kind of strange as although the "vidled" is almost half the price it is also less than half the amount of LED's. Am i missing something?

Is the difference between the flood and spot version of litpanel in the actual LED's or just in how they are set in the actual panel. Couldn't the flood version be changed in to a spot version with some black-wrap?

I once played around with the lightpanel's on a daylight shoot, and found them to be completely useless as a fill even on close-up's. So im thinking that they would mostly be useful in low-light and interior settings, so getting the tungsten version seems the obvious choice. Someone mentioned the daylight version had more light output. Once filtered to tungsten are they the same?

What's the benefit of using the small kinoflo?
              But back to being serious, anyone care to take on some of the other questions? Some ligtpanel/kinoflo owners?

Comment

Anyone looked in to those?

http://www.seritaliain.com/PEN_60_LIST.html

Comment

But back to being serious, anyone care to take on some of the other questions? Some ligtpanel/kinoflo owners?
                  To answer the question regarding flood/spot:
                  the different beam angles in a normal 5mm LED are achieved by changing the position of the die in the LED encapsulation, the shape of the encapsulation, and the encapsulating material itself.

Comment

Vidled - 52 LED's @ 2 dies each = 104 LED dies per light

But this only applies to the coolLED version.
                    speak english

Comment

Paint is something we will try this coming week: if "satisfactory", we will offer black housing versions for an additional cost.
                      OK convinced of its indestructibility!

Regarding making it black - can you also see if the silver nuts are also available in black or paintable too?

Thanks!
                      Lighting Camera Operator/DOP
                      London, UK.

Comment

Originally posted by ericyoung
                        OK convinced of its indestructibility!

Regarding making it black - can you also see if the silver nuts are also available in black or paintable too?

Thanks!
                        I agree as well, it should be all black!

Comment

Originally posted by Vidled
                          Vidled - 52 LED's @ 2 dies each = 104 LED dies per light
                          Originally posted by pkendall
                          speak english

If you look at the light, you will see 52 LEDs, thus you might assume there are only 52 light sources.

BUT, inside each LED are TWO light sources and 52 x 2 light sources = 104 light sources total.

Putting two light sources inside each LED bulb, doubles the brightness output of the light.

I hope this helps.

Bob Diaz
                          Last edited by BobDiaz; 05-08-2006, 10:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BobDiaz
                            If you look at the light, you will see 52 LEDs, thus you might assume there are only 52 light sources.

BUT, inside each LED are TWO light sources and 52 x 2 light sources = 104 light sources total.

Putting two light sources inside each LED bulb, doubles the brightness output of the light.

I hope this helps.

Bob Diaz
                            Bob, we need to hire you as our plain-speaking PR person with superb technical noesis!

ADDED: and just be clear, the LEDs with two light sources is only true for the cool LEDs, not the warm LEDs.
                            Last edited by vidled; 05-08-2006, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Good so there are a lot of lights.. I am happy about this.. I am also waiting for word on a BLACK enclosure since I cannot put something that looks like that on my camera or on the set.. I do a lot of feature work and lights like this are great for hiding in small places to kick up some light.. BUT they are a lot easier to hide when all black
                              Jay

Comment

Originally posted by Jay A. Kelley
                                I am also waiting for word on a BLACK enclosure since I cannot put something that looks like that on my camera or on the set.
                                Darn, I wanted to wait until finished, but here's the teaser, I guess you could call it (and the first one is also already sold too!).
                                Will be available as an option end of this week, at an added cost ($25.00) and longer delivery time though, as they will be special-order:
                                Last edited by vidled; 05-08-2006, 10:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X