Failure rate of Sandisk Extreme Pro SSD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Failure rate of Sandisk Extreme Pro SSD

SanDisk Extreme SSDs keep abruptly failing—firmware fix for only some promised | Ars Technica

"Multiple DITs/Loaders/ACs on both coasts have experienced the exact same failure with these drives over the last month.The symptom seems to be that after a sustained write they will completely lose their filesystem and it's a total crap shoot [whether] you can recover it or not. The primary way you will see this is that the drive will unmount and you will not be able to get it to mount again, despite showing up in Disk Utility. You can sometimes recover it using DiskDrill's filesystem rebuild, but occasionally that does nothing. It persists with any filesystem type."

I was really close to getting a couple 4TB for the summer, they have been 40% off from several vendors at a couple points this year. I had assumed it was a collapse in demand and clearing out inventory..perhaps not.

Anyone here experiencing this? I have used mostly Samsung T5/T7s successfully & reliably for a few years for in-field backup & remote editing and only read online reviews of these Sandisk Pro drives

Ars saw two 2TB units become unreadable, but SanDisk only confirms 4TB troubles.

I bought a 2TB sandisk extreme pro in April 2021 and I used it relentlessly for backup and editing up until I bought a 4TB version 2 weeks ago which I now use as my primary footage Drive for active projects and the two terabyte has become an additional drive or for shuttling footage back and forth from my archive to my four terabyte drive. So, I'm probably talking about a few thousand hours of editing footage from the 2 TB extreme Pro during that time period without a hitch and I'm not sure how many cycles of filling it up and emptying it and filling it up.

I had one curious issue with the new 4tb Drive which I think was operating system related. When I first got it and tried to format it, I couldn't copy any footage to the drive even though I could run disc speed tests on it and it mounted properly. It turned out this had something to do with the drive name. I had named it 4TB extreme. But when I changed the name to just extreme or while it was labeled Untitled during one test, it worked fine. So I just named it extreme and I'm still not sure why it didn't work to name it 4TB extreme

because my MacBook Pro doesn't have the matching USB spec as the drive whatever that is 3.2 Gen 2 or something, I can't use the full speed of the extreme Pro but I get a very consistent roughly 900 megabyte per second sustained read and write unlike the t7 which in my experience takes about three times longer to do transfers over 100GB. I decided that the extreme Pro is fast enough for my large data transfer needs which is why I bought a larger capacity version rather than upgrading to the pro-g40 which has a thunderbolt 3 Connection and can apparently sustain transfer speeds of twice the extreme Pro. But it's nearly twice the price and I'm happy with the extreme Pro speeds because theyre consistently sustained. I haven't had any reliability issues whatsoever

I thought the reason they were getting discounted was both because the price of ssds is substantially falling but mainly because ssds with Thunderbolt 3 or maybe usb4 are the next big thing and can do much faster speeds. But even the pro-g40 or the OWC Envoy FX Thunderbolt 3 drives are on sale lately
    www.AbeFilms.com

All men are brothers

Comment

Interesting, just saw this on arstechnica: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023...-promised/amp/

Looks like the problem only affects sandisk extreme and extreme pro drives produced after Nov 2022 and the company claims that a firmware fix is forthcoming
      www.AbeFilms.com

All men are brothers

Comment

Ran across the topic on, I believe, Reddit a while back. I have several 2TB’s that I’ve picked up when SanDisk SSD’s go on-sale, seemingly every other week. B&H was almost giving the 4TB’s away last week. I would have loved to have grabbed a couple, but I’ve been reading too many horror stories from people in our industry.

Knock-on-wood, the 2TB that I’m currently using as my TM back-up hasn’t failed, but it has un-mounted/ejected itself a few times. I’ve stopped leaving it plugged in and only attach when I’m doing a deliberate TM back-up, like before I take my laptop out of town with me. Which kind of defeats part of the benefit/purpose of Time Machine.

Comment

A comment. Everything should be going on two drives, even your edit steps (EDL, davinci project DRP)

Footage.. take off cards to 2 drives, 83A and 83B (which lives offline, ideally in a different building)

Make a davinci projectss..

2023_05_12_myclient_thierjob

at the end of the edit day

export project 2023_05_12_myclient_thierjob20230513_2015 place this on both A drive and your computers C drive. When the project is done move the folder of projects from C drive to B drive.

http://www.sammorganmoore.com View my feature Film

Comment

Two drives, minimum. Best practice is usually three, with at least one copy being located off-site.

But I rarely see anyone practice it. Especially on the “TV” side. I’ve saved producers butts, because I took it on myself to back-up footage myself to a personal drive.

Data back-up, safety and security is like an afterthought. Which is amazing, because in todays world there is so little actual, physical media(tapes, film). It’s all 1’s & 0’s on drives. There’s almost nothing “real” anymore. Just ask Turner about the NBA archive they lost. Decades of historic footage gone into the ether…. On the one hand it’s hilarious, because it’s so mind bendingly stupid that the system was set-up and run like that, and that there weren’t multiple off-line back-ups to prevent F-up’s on that colossal scale, but it’s terrifying when you look at just how easy it is to lose an entire history in the blink of an eye, without someone even purposefully trying.

Comment

Originally posted by Run&Gun View Post
              Two drives, minimum. Best practice is usually three, with at least one copy being located off-site.

But I rarely see anyone practice it. Especially on the “TV” side. I’ve saved producers butts, because I took it on myself to back-up footage myself to a personal drive..
              I've saved butts as well, but not because their drives went kaplooie, just because they accidentally cleared the footage.

My memory is getting foggy, but I think I've only ever had one camera card (compact flash) and one HDD fail on me. I may have improperly formatted the compact flash, and the HDD was pushed to work in a very hot environment.

Like I said, I've had a 2TB Extreme Pro serve me flawlessly and extensively for 2 years. I just got a 4TB Extreme Pro and now I'm worried about that, but so far it's working well. I've never had either drive unmount unexpectedly like you mentioned. The 4TB says "Product of Malaysia" on the back, whereas the 2TB does not. But I looked online and it seems like they shifted production to Malaysia well before the bad batch of drives that was produced after Nov 2022.
              www.AbeFilms.com

All men are brothers

Comment

Originally posted by ahalpert View Post

I've saved butts as well, but not because their drives went kaplooie, just because they accidentally cleared the footage.

My memory is getting foggy, but I think I've only ever had one camera card (compact flash) and one HDD fail on me. I may have improperly formatted the compact flash, and the HDD was pushed to work in a very hot environment.

Like I said, I've had a 2TB Extreme Pro serve me flawlessly and extensively for 2 years. I just got a 4TB Extreme Pro and now I'm worried about that, but so far it's working well. I've never had either drive unmount unexpectedly like you mentioned. The 4TB says "Product of Malaysia" on the back, whereas the 2TB does not. But I looked online and it seems like they shifted production to Malaysia well before the bad batch of drives that was produced after Nov 2022.
                I’ve unfortunately seen several drives go belly up(all spinning drives). The last one kind of astounded me, as it was 2-3 months after the shoot when the producer reached out to me, because they were just starting to edit.

Fortunately, I can’t recall personally having a camera card fail. I’ve had some scares and error messages, but nothing that resulted in the loss of footage. Can’t say the same for tape… Lol

Comment

FWIW, I've burnt out Memory Cards in a few weeks - but that was with continuous writes from a Sec Cam. Drives or Cards failing are not so much the problem (as everything wears out).... It's when it fails unexpectedly!

Comment

Working...
                  X