Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bright tangerine kasbah shoulder support system

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tICl8DP7Sd0

I was surprised to see the plate is rear mounted by attaching a single screw. There's probably not much point discussing this configuration though because mounting directly underneath looks like the more sensible position.

Asymmetrical shoulder pad - good or bad?

The material looks great but I wonder how durable it will be in the long run.

Thoughts?
    robnortondp.com

Interesting padding tech. I fear it's gonna get absolutely filthy/torn-apart by random bits in people's accessory cases (where most people seem to store their handheld rigs) though.

I can't see much point in the rear-mounting option, that puts the pad WAY too far back. And the dovetail component (while it looks like it'll cover the average balance-points of most rigs) seems unnecessarily limited in its range of motion.

The high-quality rosettes for the handles sound nice (if the quality claims are true), but those circular tightening screws look like a NIGHTMARE. As soon as the rosettes begin to wear (even a fraction), the inherent difficulty of applying torque to tighten circular lockoffs is going to instantly become a massive issue. Big, fat, kipping levers are common for a reason. They may look more awkward, and be fiddlier to pack away - but they let you comfortably tighten things down when you need to (without painfully digging into your fingers like smaller lockoffs will).

Also, they should really have included some 15mm rod clamps on the shoulder pad (so that the handles can live permanently attached to the pad), having to separately attach the shoulder pad and the handles, kinda robs you of all the wonderful speed advantages the Left Field quick-release systems offers. What I love about it, is being able to hop of the tripod and connect to my Arri-dovetail based shoulder rig in seconds - that's what makes it so convenient.
    DREAMSMITHS | SHOWREEL | INSTAGRAM
    www.dreamsmiths.com.au

Comment

I think it looks pretty interesting. I do appreciate Bright Tangerine's unique approach to an otherwise copycat-filled arena of camera accessories (coming at it out of left field, as it were), even as I find small complaints with things in their system (I have yet to master the three position catch on their baseplate, it's always a little fumbly). Grug, could you not just leave the handgrips in place when on sticks? A little klugy perhaps but can't imagine it could get in the way much, maybe if you are regularly putting the camera on the deck or a sandbag etc?

I'll reserve judgement on the pad until I get a chance to try it out in person--hopefully I'll find that the Kasbah rocks!

OK, two bad puns in one post. I'll see myself out.
      Charles Papert
      charlespapert.com

Comment

BT asked some of their dealers last year to ask some of their clients for their shoulder mount feature wish lists and to submit images with their current cameras and shoulder mounts on the users shoulders and with reference measurements in frame, and I participated (not knowing at the time that it was BT, just that “someone” was working on a new shoulder mount and looking for real world input). When they went public with this a few months ago, my rep reached out and let me know that this was what that was for. I have a great relationship with my rep and we’re both straight shooters with each other. The nice, Readers Digest version of my email reply was basically, “I’ll pass”.

Comment

Originally posted by Grug View Post
          The high-quality rosettes for the handles sound nice (if the quality claims are true), but those circular tightening screws look like a NIGHTMARE. As soon as the rosettes begin to wear (even a fraction), the inherent difficulty of applying torque to tighten circular lockoffs is going to instantly become a massive issue. Big, fat, kipping levers are common for a reason.

What I love about it, is being able to hop of the tripod and connect to my Arri-dovetail based shoulder rig in seconds - that's what makes it so convenient.
          I was thinking the same thing! If the rosettes are in fact strong enough then maybe people will jump ship to wanting circular. Do you have the arri shoulder mount? Is there anything you'd change?

Originally posted by CharlesPapert View Post
          (coming at it out of left field, as it were)

OK, two bad puns in one post. I'll see myself out.
          lol. I'd never made the left field connection but makes sense as in atypical or different to the rest, not weird or crazy.

Are Spidergrips still popular? I know there have been posts about them over the years but just wondering where they stand today. You were selling o-grips too, are they a thing of the past?

Originally posted by Run&Gun View Post
          BT asked some of their dealers last year to ask some of their clients for their shoulder mount feature wish lists and to submit images with their current cameras and shoulder mounts on the users shoulders and with reference measurements in frame, and I participated (not knowing at the time that it was BT, just that “someone” was working on a new shoulder mount and looking for real world input).
          Since Charles added zingers to the thread - what does the BT stand for, Beta Testing?
          robnortondp.com

Comment

Originally posted by rob norton View Post

Since Charles added zingers to the thread - what does the BT stand for, Beta Testing?
            Bright Tangerine!

Funny, I don't remember posting about selling my O-grips, I must have mentioned in a thread sometime? Good memory. Anyone want 'em? I haven't used them in years.

Charles Papert
            charlespapert.com

Comment

Just kidding, I’m already a fan of the company (Titan arm owner). I just thought it was funny how Run&Gun provided feedback without fully knowing what it was for.

I remember Spidergrips and (less frequently) O-grips popping up over the years in various threads so I searched them in the forum, which showed your for sale post.

I would take them off your hands if I was in the market but don’t shoot much in a dedicated shoulder mount position. I’m more curious and preparing myself if the need arises. It probably seems like overthinking, asking all of these questions about handgrips but it’s interesting to see what small design tweaks occur over the years.
              robnortondp.com

Comment

What about the camera comfort cushion?

https://www.alangordon.com/product/o...omfort-cushion

It looks like it's 50% hanging over the edge towards the neck but maybe that's no big deal?
                robnortondp.com

Comment

Working...
                X