Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wireless microphone

Hello i am looking for a pair of wireless mic to use with my xt2/dr40

My first look is at the rode go 2, price is a bit high, but may be used i can afford
    The thing is that i would need to buy 2 lavalier also, and price rise enough
    So my first questiojn is Is it possibile ot use the go transmitter itself, without lavalier, meaning, is it okm to hide them and how good is quality?
    As cheaper alternative are there other brands you can suggest? I heard a lot about Boya, Synco and others..any good?
    Thank you
    Lumix GH3 +Neway CL77H +Rokkor MD50 +Rokkor MD135 + Rokkor 35-75 +Lumix 14-45 +Lumix 45-175

I haven't used those mics, but I remember reading that the 1st gens were pretty much line-of-sight, and could lose signal if the transmitter was clipped on the interviewee's back.

$300 for two transmitters and a dual receiver is cheap, Sony's dual kit cost $800. Decent lavs start at around $350, but I've read that the Oscar Sound Tech's are really good for $150, albeit not particularly sensitive. On the low-end, you could get a MIC-J 044 for $30, which is a knockoff of a Sennheiser ME-2, which isn't a very good lav to begin with.

In 2009 I got a Pro 88W wireless mic kit stamped with the Audio-Technica logo, and it was a complete piece of junk, that had really high self noise, was very susceptible to interference, had limited range, and would sometimes cut-out. I learned an important lesson, that you get what you pay for, and I wasted so much time trying to save the audio in post processing that I should have spent $700 on a Sennheiser kit. Sometimes budget stuff punches above it's weight, and sometimes it's complete junk.

I finally bought a Sennheiser AVX when they were on sale for $400 a few years ago. I love the AVX, except I wish there was an option to disable the encryption to improve the latency, and I wish they made a larger battery pack for the receiver.

I'm a penny-pinching cheapskate, and hate part with money earned by blood, sweat, and tears, but I'll pay more for quality, as it's counterintuitively cheaper in the long run.

Another option that's not much cheaper, is to get a lav audio recorder, like a Tascam DR-10L, but you wouldn't be able to monitor the audio that's being recorded. I just looked them up, and they're on sale for $154 at B&H.

Comment

ok, i know what you mean, but everyone has his budget..that's something we cannot avoid! If i see properly your suggestions are more expensive than those rode anyway..
      Lumix GH3 +Neway CL77H +Rokkor MD50 +Rokkor MD135 + Rokkor 35-75 +Lumix 14-45 +Lumix 45-175

Comment

If you're in the USA, you can get two Tascam DR-10L recorders (which include lavs) for $308, but you'll have to sync their audio with your camera's scratch track in your editing software.

You could look at used Sennheiser G2/G3 kits, just make sure that you get one in a legal frequency range that isn't overcrowded.

I believe that those tiny Rode wireless kits and similar knockoffs, are intended for YouTubers who's camera is within spitting distance. They're fine for short range line-of-sight applications, but not for live events where you're at the back of the auditorium surrounded by tons of competing 2.4 GHz frequencies.

Comment

well i don't think i'll ever find myself in such a situation, normally i use it for interview, where i am more or less on front of the 2 persons
          And i m not in the usa

Comment

Working...
          X