Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On camera monitors

Hi

I'm looking for an on camera monitor and I'm looking for a reasonable priced option. I'm using an A7Siii on an RS2 gimble with rear handle, but I can't see the screen in underslung mode which is 80% of time. I saw the SmallHD Focus 5", but it's now discontinued. Then I saw a couple of used ones on ebay that were refurbished and the other used ... both a little more than the old new price ... I'm not sure ...

What is my best option for on camera monitors mounted on the rear handle of my gimbal - needs to be under a $1000? Also is the SmallHD Focus 7 too large for the rear handle of my gimbal?
    Last edited by adam777; 09-14-2021, 02:50 AM.

If you plan to use it outdoors, get one with at least 1,000 cd/mē brightness. You may also consider features like loadable LUTs, scopes, and false color.

Comment

If interested: https://www.dvxuser.com/forum/market...orld-7-monitor

Or just buy one from the store. (Mine's brand new.)

2200 nits. (Insane.) Lightweight. Sharp.

An incredible panel for such little money.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I'll get a smallHD 702 Touch at a discount (due to being open box return). Do I need those huge sony L batteries, or can you get away with the smaller L series lower power batteries?

Comment

I think you'd want at last an NP-F750, or maybe look for something like an IndiPRO Tools Power System. That way you can keep heavy NP-F970 batteries at camera level and not change the center of gravity.

Comment

Originally posted by adam777 View Post
            Hi

I'm looking for an on camera monitor and I'm looking for a reasonable priced option. I'm using an A7Siii on an RS2 gimble with rear handle, but I can't see the screen in underslung mode which is 80% of time. I saw the SmallHD Focus 5", but it's now discontinued. Then I saw a couple of used ones on ebay that were refurbished and the other used ... both a little more than the old new price ... I'm not sure ...

What is my best option for on camera monitors mounted on the rear handle of my gimbal - needs to be under a $1000? Also is the SmallHD Focus 7 too large for the rear handle of my gimbal?
            A powered 7" monitor is pretty big for that set up. Abe on this forum uses a desview r6, which looks like a pretty good option for your rig - https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1631607-REG/desview_r6_uhb_5_5_2800nits.html. You can buy a cheap 5 inch monitor to see if you prefer that size or find out if you definitely need a larger monitor. I don't have any experience with feelworld but looks like a contender as well.

If you're committed to the larger size the 702 touch should serve you well. Re batteries, the larger L batteries are the way to go.
            robnortondp.com

Comment

Originally posted by rob norton View Post

A powered 7" monitor is pretty big for that set up. Abe on this forum uses a desview r6, which looks like a pretty good option for your rig - https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1631607-REG/desview_r6_uhb_5_5_2800nits.html. You can buy a cheap 5 inch monitor to see if you prefer that size or find out if you definitely need a larger monitor. I don't have any experience with feelworld but looks like a contender as well.

If you're committed to the larger size the 702 touch should serve you well. Re batteries, the larger L batteries are the way to go.
              ... oh dear ... buyers remorse. Thats ok, I'm sure it's exactly what I'm looking for.

Comment

I'm thinking of getting a 7" monitor for my Sony FX6. I'd rather go 7" so it can sometimes serve as a client monitor as well as something I could use as a director's monitor when I'm not the DP.

The SmallRig 702 looks good.

But, I'm also considering the better-priced Atomos Shinobi, which has pretty good reviews: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._hdmi_sdi.html

As well as the BlackMagic Avida 12: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...d_video_assist _7_monitor.html

But what do you think about the Feelworld LUT7S? It's the most affordable by far!
                https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ch_screen.html

What do you think?

Comment

owning smallhd and atomos.. Id be buying feelworld next time round.

same sh_it less money
                  http://www.sammorganmoore.com View my feature Film

Comment

I recommend my Desview R6 with a npf770 battery (I think mine are from Wasabi). I use it with the a7siii on a ronin-s. but I never go underslung, so I'm not sure if there are any complications I'm not considering...

my feeling is that the build quality of a more expensive or legacy brand is superior than the cheap monitors being turned out today. but otherwise, the feature sets and image quality are totally on par. I'm guessing that it doesn't really matter WHICH cheap monitor brand you buy, as long as it's the latest generation because they are rapidly getting new features and improvements. The specific features, specs, and menus will differ between brands and models, but I think that the technology (LCD display) is cheap and commonplace enough, that nobody out there is totally screwing it up

it's amazing what my $200 2800 nits touchscreen Desview with loadable LUTs and a bevy of exposure aids, guide markers, etc can do... My $1k Ikan D7 that it replaced (which I bought in 2011) was so much darker and did almost nothing
                    www.AbeFilms.com

All men are brothers

Comment

^ Agree with that Abe - thanks to you & for Rob linking it - hadn't seen or heard of that brand before.
                      This is one of those threads that pop up from time to time... and it always depends quite a bit on what exactly you're wanting. For me, having both full size HDMI as well as an SDI input are a must. As is having a waveform monitor (which I don't believe that Feelworld has - it's histogram only).

Comment

The one I'm selling above doesn't have waveform but other Feelworlds do.

At the end of the day, I don't know if anyone would be surprised if they were all made in the same factory.

Comment

I got a FeelWorld LUT7 when it was on sale for $200 to replace my Lilliput 664. My Lilliput still works, I just wanted something with scopes and loadable LUTs.

The LUT7 has about the same plastic build quality as my Lilliput, but it lacks a sun-shade, gets pretty hot, and the bottom 1/4"-20 threads are way too close to the DC input, so I can't simultaneously use the DC input and mount a mini Arca QR plate. My work around is to use the side 1/4"-20 threads with a 15mm rod to attach it to my rig. I might consider taking it apart and re-routing the DC ports to the empty SDI slots, since mine is the HDMI only version.

The biggest thing the LUT 7 has going for it, is an on-screen false color scale mapped to corresponding IRE levels, a detail which my Lilliput and many other monitors lack.

A 7" monitor is nice for pulling focus, not saying that it can't be done with a 5", it's just easier with a larger screen.

I never owned a nice monitor like a SmallHD or TVLogic, so I can't speak to how it compares.

For studio use, I'd be tempted to try one of these $90 monitors.
                          Last edited by Imamacuser; 10-04-2021, 11:45 AM.

Comment

I'd also give a shout-out to my Lilliput A5, which I bought for $86 used. Headline feature: it weighs only 118 grams. I wanted something lightweight to use with my lightweight weebill-s gimbal rig.

It's much darker and lower-contrast than my Desview R6. The color is less accurate. It only has 1 type of false color and isn't touchscreen (although I can toggle false color with the programmable button). No loadable LUTs.

But it's totally fit for purpose. I can see my frame from any angle. I can evaluate my exposure even in bright daylight. And it barely adds any weight to my rig. I run it off LP-E6 batteries. (It has a dual battery plate - LP-E6 on one end and NPF on the other, just like my Desview R6. Such a cool design feature.)
                            www.AbeFilms.com

All men are brothers

Comment

Working...
                            X