Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Traveling with equipment.......advice please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Traveling with equipment.......advice please.

When flying with equipment, how do you guys transport your valuables?

I am just getting my feet wet and know next to nothing.

I have a friend who is flying from Vancouver to Mexico with equipment for me.

He is bringing me all new equipment which are:

GH4
    2 lenses
    Gimbal
    Various odds and ends like batteries, filters etc.

Do you load all your equipment into a hard travel luggage, lock it up, and check the baggage?
    Or do you always carry your cameras onboard with you?

Any advice on luggage or specialty travel cases would be appreciated.

Thanks everybody.

With a camera that small, there is no reason NOT to carry it on, and he should definitely do that. Even if it's the only thing he carries! Carry it on. Don't risk it.

Comment

Originally posted by Finn Yarbrough View Post
      With a camera that small, there is no reason NOT to carry it on, and he should definitely do that. Even if it's the only thing he carries! Carry it on. Don't risk it.
      +1

Always carry cameras and lenses with you, theft or damage is too big a risk.

Comment

Thanks guys. I appreciate the advice.

Comment

Camera, lenses and laptops/external HDDs will always go into carry-on. Even when they say the cabin is getting full and I have to check it for free I just point out it has X thousand pounds worth of camera stuff in it, do they really want to be responsible for that.

Everything else I'm more happy just putting in my normal bag. Things like tripods will likely get wrapped in a fleece or something just incase as I travel with a soft holdall rather than a hard case.

Comment

If you travel with a lot of gear I have also done the following. One, I have shipped stuff via UPS. Bringing essentials with me but having other stuff show up on site. For checking stuff I have a golf bag hard case. Good for packing light stands, sliders, tripods. Although often these days it can be easier to rent stuff onsite. The Thinkpad Shapeshifter is a good carry on bag for moving a good chunk of gear. Fits under your seat and on smaller airplanes.
            Chris Bernard
            Dangerous Amateur
            Chicago, IL

Comment

If you're doing this a lot get a credit card with your airline of choice. Depending on the airline, the benefits can be more than just the frequent flyer miles. For example, United gives you a free checked bag when you buy your ticket with the United Mastercard. It also gives you some leverage in case your flight is delayed/cancelled. I've used it a few times for just that kind of thing, getting rebooked on a different flight while most other passengers were being stranded for hours. The lounges are nice for longer layovers too.

Comment

Working...
              X