Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey everyone, this thread seems quite sporadic so trying my luck here- Any tripod recommendations for the C100? Also following up the question Jonny35 was asking about quick release plates. Is there a standard?

Comment

I just unpacked my new Benro H10 kit. It is great! I am mounting my FS100 rig on it and it really is a true fluid head. I bought it because Benro has a sale going on. I got this kit for $854.25. One of the better purchases that I have made.

http://www.benrousa.com/products/cla...a674tmh10.aspx

Comment

I recently bought a Libec RT30B with a RS25 head (about $650 in all).

About 6 lbs for the tripod - the specs say it "supports a payload of up to 55 lb (25 kg) and can extend from 16 - 59.5" (40.5 - 150.5 cm), making it ideal for small- to mid-sized HD cameras used in a range of broadcast and production situations."

My Manfrotto 028 has a greater reach 89" (it has a center crank which I really like) but the head that I bought with this i.e. 501HDV has a lot of starting friction icompared to the Libec. The 028 weighs 10 lbs (about double that of the Libec) but I like it for outdoor events where there are crowds between me and the event.

Very happy with Libec combo.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...um_Tripod.html
        http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search...op+Nav-Search=

Comment

This thread appears to have met the fate of most stickies: to clutter the place up while being utterly ignored by regulars.

All the same, maybe some people are subscribed to it and can help me.

What’s the meaningful difference, if any, between the Miller Air and the Miller DS10 fluid heads?

They look darned near identical except for paint. A Miller brochure I found shows the DS10 to have an “additional pan-tilt drag control trim”. What’s that in English? Just a screw pushing a brake against a barrel for friction? Useful? Does the Air have no adjustment for pan and tilt drag?

Any other thoughts on these heads – or competitors in the same weight range – are welcome.

Comment

Just one general thought...

Businesses and products change over the years.

As the years go by, sometimes cheaper models that exist are definitely subpar compared to the same company's better offerings, and sometimes the world changes enough that newer products which still cost less money than the same company's more expensive but older products end up being better.

It's sometimes difficult to understand how any engineering or marketing changes affect actual practice, so heavy research is always necessary - especially for tripods, which is a product family that has so much variety. There are tripods which have been made 20 years ago that some think are perfect in every way while some options today may be the same price but much inferior because they were changed the way they were made (usually to save money or because the company originally making them was acquired by someone else).

With the Air and DS10, the DS10 has several drag levels/controls which could be very, very useful depending on what you're shooting. The Air doesn't but in general the head packs way above its weight (I bought it when it briefly went on sale for ~$300) and is great for basic operation.

But for productions like sports filming, the best drag control is highly worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by NorBro View Post
              As the years go by, sometimes cheaper models that exist are definitely subpar compared to the same company's better offerings, and sometimes the world changes enough that newer products which still cost less money than the same company's more expensive but older products end up being better.
              Sure. That’s what I’m hoping has happened with the Air.

Here it costs a lot more than $300 or even B&H’s current price of $445.50 (which is far less than the original price several years ago, based on my reading of old reviews).

But I like the approach that Miller has used to achieve a low price: drop optional features, gimmicks, and frills like illuminated bubbles rather than compromising on build quality and core function. That appeals to me a lot. It’s also light by true fluid head standards. Still expensive for a poor hobbyist. Hmm.

Is there anything else I should look at?

Comment

There are tons of cheap heads even for $25-$50, so I'm not sure what a hobbyist in your case would need - but the Miller Air is incredibly hard to beat for around $445.

It's such a smooth and solid head.

There are a few Manfrottos that may be worth taking a look at like the 608 Nitrotech, but would still be around the same price as the Air. Benro is a company people seem to like for their value (especially heads/legs kits), but it's only a savings of $100-$200 in most cases for the few options below the Air's price (for the head).

In the long run, an investment for a great tripod is really worth it...more than most other pieces of production gear.

Comment

Cartoni Focus 8 versus Vinten Vision Blue?

Comment

Originally posted by Less_is_more View Post
                    Sure. That’s what I’m hoping has happened with the Air.

Here it costs a lot more than $300 or even B&H’s current price of $445.50 (which is far less than the original price several years ago, based on my reading of old reviews).

But I like the approach that Miller has used to achieve a low price: drop optional features, gimmicks, and frills like illuminated bubbles rather than compromising on build quality and core function. That appeals to me a lot. It’s also light by true fluid head standards. Still expensive for a poor hobbyist. Hmm.

Is there anything else I should look at?
                    As someone that has been doing this for well over two decades, an illuminated bubble is not what I'd call an "optional feature, gimmick or frill". An illuminated bubble on the head ranks up there with a VF or monitor on a camera.

Comment

Working...
                    X