Lighting problem night Blue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lighting problem night Blue?

Well I'm finally getting around to shooting the short I started with the original DVX Zombiefest. Diary of the Dead(now Romero is making it too?). Anyway we had a good script meeting and read thru and plan to shoot some outdoor scenes next weekend. I am running into a small problem with some of the planned interior scenes. I would like to have the light coming thru the boarded up windows in a scene appear Blue while maintaining the color on the actors faces.

I have two 500w work lights on a stand outside the window casting the light into the room. I have one other 500w work light and a couple of spots with reflectors(cheap hardware variety). I can get a great Blue light look by tricking the white balance(thanks to Barry's book) but I lose the color on the actors as everything takes on a blue look. I suppose I either need to gel the other lights or the outside work lights. Suggestions?

On another lighting note I am considering overexposing some scenes to work better with some of the Magic Bullet look suite.(I find some presets darken the scene too much) Has anyone got any tips on suggestions on this as well.

As always thanks for the advice and yes I have Jackmans book and Barrys book and lots of other books. But when you get everyone together and can't get the look you want it screws up the whole day(I know this from just filming the read thrus).

"Forgiveness is between them and God. It's my job to arrange the meeting"

Seems as though it would be easiest to gel the outside lights, or the windows themselves.

How is this blue light going to show up in the shot? Do you actually want something illuminated with it, or do you just want a blue glow around the boards on the window? If the latter, you can probably control it best by putting some diffusion gel on the window. (That's just a guess, though. There's no substitute for experimenting.)

Comment

I actually want the light coming in the window to appear blue as well as the light from the flashlights used by the actors to appear Blue. I've seen a similar look in many films and would just like it for the night scenes. The light from the window will be projecting a shadow from the window onto a wall in the back of the scene. I can get a nice blue light look with white balance but I'd like to retain some color in the scene. I am going to play with some mismatched lights to see if I can create what I'm looking for. Maybe a combination of white balance, different lights and some gels will suffice.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

Trick the WB to get your exterior lights blue, then any other interior light that you want to look whiter should be gelled with CTO to warm them up.

If you tell me exactly where you want the light to come from in the scene, I might be of more help. For instance, Is the "moonlight" and flashlights going to be the only light in the scene, or is there something else? I recently shot something along these lines.
        sigpic

Comment

I would gel the lights. I did exactly the same thing on a short we shot. The exterior light was gelled blue. The interior light was 4 dozen candles and a chinese lantern. you could also gel the flashlight.
          www.maverickproductions.org

Comment

The "moonlight " will be the primary light for one scene. The flashlights are in another scene. I am going for a blue look to the ligth without totally having to tint the entire scene blue. Thanks

Comment

Yes, blue gel the ouutside lights and do NOT over expose, you can never get those blown out whites back. A far as Magic Bullet goes, yes some pre-sets do darken the image quite a bit, you just have to experiment with the settings...
              Make It Happen
              www.lancejrehaphotography.com
              www.lakefilms.com

Comment

Yo Maverickstunts, I see you worked on National Treasure and Swordfish...
                Christina Fong is a good friend of mine....She just finished the newest Rocky picture....

Comment

Working...
                X