What size generator for a 4000W HMI?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What size generator for a 4000W HMI?

Title says it all. I have a 4000W HMI fresnel. What size generator would I need to power it outside?
    Thanks
    sigpic
    Adaptimax Nikon and Canon EF to Micro 4/3 Lens Adapters
    www.adaptimax.com

▪ Professional Quality Lens Adapters for Professional Camera People
    ▪ Engineered To The Highest Specifications, 12 months no quibble guarantee
    ▪ Adaptors for PMW-EX3, AG-AF100, HVR-Z7, GY-HM700, HPX300 Plus More...

Something huge

4800W YANMAR Diesel Generator 110/230V 10hp

Of course you'll need the proper Stingers and a quiet gene as well.

But I would contact a lighting house before taking my gospel

Comment

I big warning, if you are going to use an HMIs with a genny, don't use a magnetic ballast, use a flicker free electronic one instead. All of these smaller genny's (anything smaller than a 100 kw) have pretty poor frequency regulation, particularly when loaded at anything above 30 - 40% of their rated load. The result can be flicker even though you are paying attention to the shutter angles and frame rates.

I just recently got bit by this problem and I will never make that mistake again.

Comment

You definitely want to watch that ballast issue; a crystal-sync clean-power generator would be best. And I doubt a 4800w max will even be able to handle it, you'd probably need to go to something like at least a 6k and probably an 8k generator.
        The AU-EVA1 Book - The DVX200 Book - The UX180 & UX90 Book - Lighting For Film & TV - Sound For Film & TV

Comment

OK thanks. I have continued to research and discovered a Honda 6500 is the minimum required! Yes the HMI is electronic, so no probs there.

Cheers
          Steve
          sigpic
          Adaptimax Nikon and Canon EF to Micro 4/3 Lens Adapters
          www.adaptimax.com

▪ Professional Quality Lens Adapters for Professional Camera People
          ▪ Engineered To The Highest Specifications, 12 months no quibble guarantee
          ▪ Adaptors for PMW-EX3, AG-AF100, HVR-Z7, GY-HM700, HPX300 Plus More...

Comment

Consider distribution (cables and connectors) in your choice as well. A 4k HMI is 220v, probably with a 30, or 50 amp bates connector. You'll need a genny from a lighting company to get these connectors and cables.
            Director of Siren at www.sirenthemovie.com, Essence of the Force at www.kerbybrothers.com, and creator of Fightscenes For Motion Pictures at www.kbproducts.com

Comment

Working...
            X