Eyeglasses light reflection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eyeglasses light reflection

What's the best way for to evite eyeglasses light reflection? I am using 3 point lights....(I have a lowel kit: 1 V-light 500 watts and 2 Pro with 250 w and 125 Watts)...I want to know all options about....

thanks

There are many ways to address the problem, but there is no "best" way. One way is to ask the subject of the interview if they're comfortable without their glasses. Another way is to tilt the glasses forward a bit (but not so much that it becomes obvious that you've done so). Placing your lights up higher can get them out of the reflection path. But these placement tricks only work so long as your subject doesn't move around; if they do, it's very likely that they'll move their head in such a way that the reflection comes back at some point.

One thing I never got around to trying was to get some polarizing gels for lights; polarizing the lights the same way, and then using a polarizer filter on the camera, may make it possible to completely eliminate reflections from the light sources.
    The AU-EVA1 Book - The DVX200 Book - The UX180 & UX90 Book - Lighting For Film & TV - Sound For Film & TV

Comment

Barry: INTERESTING about the polarizing thing, someone needs to try!

Deparon: one thing to remember is that you will probably have SOME reflection of lights on the eyeglasses: the trick is to AVOID that reflection to be in front of the subject's pupils.
      Summary: reflection on eyeglasses semi-okay, as long as it's not directly over the pupils.

Comment

Thanks Barry....Like the problem is in an interview and the talent preffers to be naked that without eyeglasses I will try placing the lights higher. I am sure it will works fine.....Thanks a lot......By the way, last week I received the HVX 200 book (sent free by Pannasonic).......totally wet and destroyed... hehehehehehe....UPS says that it has not insurance so they can't replace....I hope Jan Crittenden can do something about....warm regards

Comment

I shoot host segments with a well-known movie critic who wears glasses all of the time. The flatter the lenses, the easier the reflections are to deal with. He also has anti-reflective lenses installed in his glasses, they are a breeze and we rarely have any kind of reflections.

OTOH, I shot an interview with Peter Bogdanovich a few months ago and he still wears his trademarked 1960s bug eye glasses that have large, extremely curved lenses and they are impossible NOT to get reflections that show, they are like a giant convex mirror. Raise the key, place talent off-axis with the key, tilt down, they all work in varying degrees of effectiveness.

Best,

Dan
          It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
          G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

Comment

Easy answer: Assuming the glasses are character prop, set by the character, or by wardrobe, but you absolutely do NOT want reflections...

POP THE LENSES OUT for the shoot, and put them back in when finished.

Alternatives: Specify NONGLARE, NONCORRECTING lenses for all prop glasses (or have a pair made for the subjects glasses, and install them for shooting and replace the normal lenses when finished).

Non glare will minimize the reflections, while keeping the realistic look of the glasses.

Comment

Working...
            X