Kudos to Vidled!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kudos to Vidled!

I had a shoot down in Orlando, FL the first week of August and I charged up my light battery and here it is September 8th and I still have 4 out of 5 lights lighting up on the battery....I used the light for about an hour or so when I was in Florida...Can't believe that thing still has a charge!

Is that the standard or the deluxe model?
    sigpic

Comment

DVX100shooter:
      SWEET! And thanks for the kind comments.

bgundu:
      That'll be the standard model Vidled with the Li-Ion external battery pack. It lasts about ~2.5 hours on the coolLED, and ~4hrs on the dayLED and warmLED, at full power.
      Last edited by vidled; 09-08-2006, 07:45 AM.

Comment

I am leaning towards grabbing a vidled, I want to shoot a scene on a train and figure I can use the incoming window for a key and then fill the shadows with the the vidled. (battery operate is appalling here) I guess this light should be daylight balanced, should I get the coolLED and use cto or get the dayLED. What circumstance would you ever want to use the coolLED in filmmaking given the color temp?

Thanks
        Jim
        Central Square Films

Comment

Originally posted by bosindy
          What circumstance would you ever want to use the coolLED in filmmaking given the color temp?
          First of all, "daylight" isn't always 5600K, it can go to well over 12000K.
          The coolLEDs are intentionally left un-geled, as they have their maximium output in their "virginal" state. You can effectively use them ungelled: 1) when it is your only light source; or 2) it is the dominant light source; and 3) for an interesting effect.

The notion that all lights in a scene HAVE to be 5600K (or all have to be 3200K) is somewhat absurd. There is a LOT to be said for using color in various shades for lighting a scene. Many movies use heavily colored lighting to achieve a certain effect. It is because of this reason why we now include 9 gels with each light; inlcuding some Gaslight Green, and some 1/4 CTB. Place some 1/4 CTB on the coolLED for an even stronger "blue", cold feel.

To light your particular scene you should be fine with a coolLED with gel. Keep in mind though, that if there is FULL sun coming in through the window, you might get more fill light from a simple reflector/white foamboard, than from a 6W LED light.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
          X