Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If this doesn't show that good cinematography is just good lighting, nothing will

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If this doesn't show that good cinematography is just good lighting, nothing will

Look again. That's Tobey, George, and Cate. This is not 1945, but 2006. It's the lighting stupid!

Read the article at CNN.com Read the article at NYTIMES.com

amend that.

If this doesn't show that good CINEMATOGRAPHY is just good lighting, nothing will.

Comment

Good amendment... but I have to say that the production design is doing a tremendous amount of work here as well.

Commercial and Creative Director at Psychic Bunny, a hybrid media studio in sunny Los Angeles, California.

Producer, Cement Suitcase ( feature film )
      Writer/Director/Producer, Dead Drop ( BetrayalFest finalist ) – "A very cool, slick and well done short."
      Producer, The Echo Game ( feature film ) - "There is never a dull moment..."
      Ex. Producer, Coma, Period. ( web series ) - "...few things in web video are done as well as they are in Coma, Period."

@TheSpiceEffect on TwitterIMDb

Comment

You're both right. But the lighting is tops for the beautiful image. The DP is kickin some serious ass there. Is that Timur's work?

Comment

No, looks like The Good German, Tobey Maguire, George Clooney, and Cate Blanchett. Looks good.

Cinematography by Steven Soderbergh (as Peter Andrews)
          When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk. (Tuco-The Good, the Bad and the Ugly)

IMDb Green Eyed Monster // Waiting 2 Die:A Veteran Affair // Bail Out

DVX100b / T3i / HMC150 / C100 / Atomos Ninja Blade
          50mm 1.8 / 24mm 2.8 / 18-55 5.6 / 75-300mm 5.6 / Rokinon Cine DS 85mm

Comment

How often does he end up being his own DP under a different name?

Comment

Why would a DP want to use an alias.....If everybody knows who he is..? I admire his work, and think he is brilliant, but am I in the minority here, in thinking that this is just a little crazy? What's next, romance novels ?
              And don't forget to credit the gaffer as well. NOT EVERY DP is great with lighting....Most yes, but who ever you do credit for this o' mage to Casablanca, they did their homework....

Comment

Neat! I also enjoy Steven Soderbergh's work, except the Canon XL1S scenes in "Full Frontal" which I found odd.
                "Babs Do or Babs Do not, there is no try." - Zack Birlew
                Production Company - www.BabsDoProductions.com
                Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Babs-D...11985705544940
                Pond5 Artist Page - https://www.pond5.com/artist/BabsDoProd

Comment

"Why would a DP want to use an alias.....If everybody knows who he is..? "

Legal reasons.
                  I invented the "remove echo" audio filter. And only people that boom their actors closely get to use it.

Alex Donkle - Sound Designer -

Comment

What.. "I won't work with Steven Soderberg, but I will with Peter Andrews" ?
                    Is it a contractual agreement thing....Is this how he can work with other studios, if he has agreement with someone else ? If everyone in Hollywoodland knows that Peter Andrews is Steven, what difference does it make ?

Comment

It started when he made Traffic. He orignally had the end credits say "Directed and Shot" by Steven Soderbergh, but union rules dictate that the screenwriter (in this case Stephen Gaghan) has to be credited before the cinematographer. He didn't feel like making the credits read "Directed by Soderbergh, written by Gaghan, Shot by Soderbergh" so he just used the opportunity to give a nod to his dad (Peter Andrews Soderbergh) and just stuck with it...

Comment

Seems like he just doesn't want to be one of those people whose name is on every single credit, even though he really is doing a vast amount of work. He also edits many of his films, under the name Mary Ann Bernard.

Commercial and Creative Director at Psychic Bunny, a hybrid media studio in sunny Los Angeles, California.

Producer, Cement Suitcase ( feature film )
                        Writer/Director/Producer, Dead Drop ( BetrayalFest finalist ) – "A very cool, slick and well done short."
                        Producer, The Echo Game ( feature film ) - "There is never a dull moment..."
                        Ex. Producer, Coma, Period. ( web series ) - "...few things in web video are done as well as they are in Coma, Period."

@TheSpiceEffect on TwitterIMDb

Comment

Amazing..., I suppose Mary Ann Bernard is his mother's maiden name.. LOL
                          From now on, I will be know as Jarred Land....

Comment

Very noir.

-

What's with Clooney? I find he does his most uninspired work with Soderberg; why the constant team-up ?

Besides Out of Sight I don't think George has done anything remarkable with Steven.

Comment

solaris

Originally posted by John_Hudson
                              Very noir.

What's with Clooney? I find he does his most uninspired work with Soderberg; why the constant team-up?

Besides Out of Sight I don't think George has done anything remarkable with Steven.
                              How about Solaris?

I totally bought his character as a lonely, depressed shrink who is battling his life's worst regret and when faced with an opportunity to fix it, gets not one but two chances to do so.

To this day I have trouble answering, for myself, the premise in the film: painful truth or pleasured fantasy?

His expression here is quite telling. Tired, but curious. Sad, but optimistic.

Awesome work.

Comment

Working...
                              X