Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it normal for new lights to emit vapor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it normal for new lights to emit vapor?

Let me start by apologizing if this is already been asked... I looked around first.

I just got a brand new Lowel light kit, which I am very excited about... BUT I'm a newbie when it comes to lighting and what not. I read the instructions on how to assemble the kit and so forth, and was able to do so successfully. My question is:

Is it normal for the lamp to emit a slight "vapor" when they are first used? Since I'm new... I'm not sure if it's normal and I don't want to kill myself or set my house on fire. Just to be clear, it's NOT smoke... nothing seems to be catching on fire or anything. It just looks like a very thin vapor rising from the lamp after it's been on for a few seconds.

Thanks
    Last edited by EmperorHai; 08-05-2006, 10:25 PM.
    www.RYKN.com

Hi:

Yes, pretty normal. Lowel lights will reach around 400F degrees once they have been on a while and it is normal that brand new lights have a bit of oil, packing glue, styrofoam, etc. on them that could cause this.

Just be cognizant of what you set near your lights, using paper China Balls/gels/etc. Lights can catch things on fire and can catch fire themselves so just keep an eye on them and use your head.

Best,

Dan
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

Comment

Ahh.. good. That's what I was thinking, but better safe than sorry.

Thanks again.
      www.RYKN.com

Comment

also, don't point them past 45 degrees vertically (straight up or straight down) as they will definitely smoke. At least that's the case with the pro light and with totas. You would know the difference, though, they will smoke not vapor.
        www.spokefilms.com

Comment

Yeah, I read in the instructions that pointing them straight up or down is a bad idea. I don't really understand why... but who am I to question? lol
          www.RYKN.com

Comment

Pointing them straight up or down, will mess up the heat exaust route, passing through some delicate components, like lenses, or mirrors, and melt/bake them.
            www.juliotaubkin.com

Comment

WOnder if you could rig lights to have a small noiseless pc fan or such? hmmm
              w: Noel Evans TV

e: noel@noelevans.tv
              p: +61 (0) 408 455 374

Comment

Lot's of continuous lights for still photography have cooling fans. The bad thing about it, is that lights should last forever, and cooling fans don't...
                www.juliotaubkin.com

Comment

But cooling fans are dirt cheap, lights arent

Comment

Working...
                  X