Lighting ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lighting ideas?

Am filming a card game scene set around a singular table in a poorly lit garage, anyone care to shed some thoughts on how to do the lighting/ anything else?

Start by asking yourself where the light would naturally be coming from in the scene. Is there sunlight streaming in through a window? Is there a single, bare bulb hanging over the table? Let us know what's going on and we can be of more help.
    sigpic

Comment

Yeah, how big is the garage, how high are the ceilings. Are you going to shoot with the garage door down ? Workshop type garage, or just for cars and storage??

Comment

The garage is fairly small with pretty much nothing at all in it. The ceiling is pretty low and has some tube lights already up there. The garage door would be closed, and would like to just have a hanging light above the table. That help?

Comment

"would like to just have a hanging light above the table"

That sounds like what I would do...

You could use fluo, or a bare bulb, or a directional light and light the talent with the spill and bounce from the table. There are many ways to go.

Comment

In Guy Ritchie's "Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrells", there is a poker game being played in a room. They actually light from the ground upwards and cast odd shadows on the actors. It's kind of a cool look. You should rent it and check it out.

Vantage Point Productions Website
            Van Alan - Filmmaking Blog

Comment

yea have seen it, although i want to avoid copying it.

Comment

not to sound like a pessimist but the bare bulb over the table has been done quite a bit as well.

ritchies floor lighting worked so well i think because the card game was on a boxing ring. i think the brain could understand the lighting bouncing off of the white mat.

i really like j's idea of just a fluoro above and bouncing it off the table...that is as long as we dont really see the table. if you want a wide shot of the game just have them playing on one of those old metal foldouts or something.

i am not too sure. i hope that made sense. it is way to late for my senses to still be in working order.

Comment

Working...
                X