Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FIONA APPLE lighting....PLEASE HELP!

Hey guys,
    Ok...check out the Fiona Apple video, everyone's seen this type of spot light, lighting effect. I know the RING LITE exists but a) it doesnt seem for sale. and b) it costs just as much as a dvx!

So...

Does anyone have any DIY or tips/tricks to achieve this type of lighting method? Please help and gimme some input. Much appreciated!

here is the video with the lighting im looking to get.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJhoI...=fiona%20apple
    Noah Shulman | Founder, Creative Director | Sleepless City Productions
    @noahshulman | www.sleeplesscity.com | www.noahshulman.com
    ** Check out the 3D short film Genesis **

Looks like a (softened) camera-mounted spot to me.

But thanks for the Fiona vid.
    Movies, Music

"I thought you had to go to Pittsburgh for that."

Comment

I just shot something similar with a light just above and behind the camera. It wasn't quite as dramatic as the Fiona Apple video but the technique is the same. You can take a look here.

http://www.winstonhacking.com/films/inthecan.mov
      www.barrycheong.com

Comment

I had never this this video till I watched it here. Like GenJerDan, to me it looks very close to a bright ,on camera light, softened to mimic a ring light. Some camera angles do show the tailtale signs of a ringlight type shadow however.
        For an indie film, a friend of mine bought 4 mini flo lights at home depot. They are about 6-7 inches long, and they run on double "A" batteries and last for about 2-4 hours. He cut a hole in the middle of some foam core about 2 feet square,and placed it over his lens. He adjusted it so that it would not interfere with lens controls, and taped these lights on the board..One top and bottom, and one on either side of the lens.
        Alittle color correction directly on the lights, and off he went. He did have to keep his subject close though...no more than 3 feet away. Some people have done the same effect with christmas lights and rope light, placed around the lens.
        Some of the new ring lights are great, do you have an equipment rental house near you ?
        You could rent one of these babies for probably around $ 175-$250.00 a day...

Comment

I think for that shoot I started out using a Lowel Pro Light but the bulb went so most of it was just shot with a PAR38 practical bulb with some blackwrap. I gelled it with 1/4 CTO.
          www.barrycheong.com

Comment

Inspire, I don´t think the ring light is appropriate. The technique closer to Fiona Apple´s video is what bcheong did.

Check it out:

http://www.cinematography.com/forum2...hl=fiona+apple

And this ring light test I did -- as you´ll see, it´s not the same effect:

http://www.esnips.com/doc/413060fb-1...ing-light2.mov
            (DO NOT save target as. Go to the page and THERE you can download or stream it)

Comment

No the same effect, but nice though gumonstro....

Comment

Somebody feed that girl!

DIY Equipment / CACHE (7min) / After Class (6min) / The Seeing (6min) / snodart.com / Snod35

Comment

Mark Romanek info

I picked up a DVD the other day, “The Work of Director Mark Romanek”.
                  It is a collection of some of his favorite videos. One of them is the video in question. It’s really a pretty good DVD. It has the videos, the director commentary and commentary by the subject of the videos. He mostly talks about the process, aesthetic and ideas for the videos, not really a lot about the technical particulars. What he says about he light for the Fiona Apple video, is that they (himself and DP Harris Savides) were going for a snapshot look. They experimented with a variety of small lights, and came up with the smallest light source they had ever seen. They didn’t specify brand or type. His DP held up his fingers showing how small it was, it looked like a couple of inches.

Best regards,

bp

Comment

Gumonstro, can you PM me and send me a pic of the light you used for that? or link me to it? Did that just mount to the top of your camera? It is a different look but i've also seen that look a zillion times, might be useful for future projects. Send me a link/pic.

Thanks buddy
                    Noah Shulman | Founder, Creative Director | Sleepless City Productions
                    @noahshulman | www.sleeplesscity.com | www.noahshulman.com
                    ** Check out the 3D short film Genesis **

Comment

Working...
                    X