No announcement yet.

Exterior night scenes with no power source

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you referring to the tiny little cooling fan?
    a lot louder than a CPU fan definitely.

you're right about the card...i'd suggest go the hardware store and try various shades of red...too much might give you green instead of blue.

this isn't mine, but it was done with a red card.
    Those that know how will always have a job...
    Those that know why will always be their boss.

Comment

RED! Ah that's the ticket, thanks novelt!

Comment

The DVX also has color temp adjustments built in, so raising it would make it bluer...

Comment

A couple RV batteries, a high wattage inverter and a charger? Is there a reason why this setup won't cost more than buying myself a 1000W genny?

Bcheong, I can only afford a set of worklights if we do not recieve any more funding. At 1000W, and maybe an additional 250W and 100W I can probably rent a lower-powered genny, like a 1500W right? I believe those come in considerably smaller sizes than a 2000/3000 would.

Is it possible to drain the car battery flat with it connected to the car and the engine running? Can anybody give a figure as well as to what wattage average car headlamps are rated at?

Riff R4ff, you're talking about the night for day technique, if you don't already know that. I've seen it used on TV and I hate it and can absolutely tell it's fake. Considering the fact that I'm only starting out I doubt I can pull it off realistically.

Does anyone have any idea how I could DIY a portable muslin sheet about 6'x6'(give and take)? I've seen it being hung tilted about 50-60 degrees above the actors on movie sets. If all else fails I can always ask my grip and best boy to hold it up XD

Comment

A couple RV batteries, a high wattage inverter and a charger? Is there a reason why this setup won't cost more than buying myself a 1000W genny?
            ah you may have me there...cheapest generator i found was $199. the inverter i have cost $69 and i have one battery it was $39 at walmart and i already owned a charger...if not i could borrow my parents.

however the real comparison...my set up makes less noise and costs less to operate..especially with gas at $3.00 per gallon...the generator i was looking at said it had the lowest consumption at 1.4 gallons per hour. i can run my set up for 7 to 8 hours before needing to recharge or replace the battery...that would cost you $29 to $33...i don't even scratch that using electricity to recharge the battery. so in the long run you will spend way more on gas than i will on electricity, but if you want to save money on the initial investment...go right ahead.

as for the DIY "silk"...i made frames and stapled my fabric to the frames...it was real inexpensive. i bought 2x8s at lowes - not 2'x 8' these 2" x 8' - ah you know what i mean - anyway they were $1.33 each. then either a DIY crane or have someone or sometwo hold it.

Comment

Originally posted by novelt
              ah you may have me there...cheapest generator i found was $199. the inverter i have cost $69 and i have one battery it was $39 at walmart and i already owned a charger...if not i could borrow my parents.

however the real comparison...my set up makes less noise and costs less to operate..especially with gas at $3.00 per gallon...the generator i was looking at said it had the lowest consumption at 1.4 gallons per hour. i can run my set up for 7 to 8 hours before needing to recharge or replace the battery...that would cost you $29 to $33...i don't even scratch that using electricity to recharge the battery. so in the long run you will spend way more on gas than i will on electricity, but if you want to save money on the initial investment...go right ahead.

as for the DIY "silk"...i made frames and stapled my fabric to the frames...it was real inexpensive. i bought 2x8s at lowes - not 2'x 8' these 2" x 8' - ah you know what i mean - anyway they were $1.33 each. then either a DIY crane or have someone or sometwo hold it.
              Lol yes I can't afford buying both those solutions so I guess I'll have to go with renting a genny. Your setup seems quite perfect tho. Will consider getting it if we get asked to do a series of films ^^

What "frames" were those? Metall? Wood? Foldable? 2"x8' is pretty damn large to fit into anything smaller than a bus XD I would think. Anywhere I can find instructions for a DIY crane?

Comment

You can't afford to properly light a night exterior action scene - trust me!! There's even a lot of independent 35mm low budget films that can't afford to do it!

Your best bet is day for night. Heavy ND and post effects
                your best off doing it on overcast day, or if you can afford to silk large areas.

Comment

What "frames" were those? Metall? Wood? Foldable? 2"x8' is pretty damn large to fit into anything smaller than a bus XD I would think. Anywhere I can find instructions for a DIY crane?

no i meant i bought 1 piece of wood for $1.33 and since it was 8' long i cut 4 2' sections. so i made a frame 2'x2'...you said you were looking at 6' so buying an 8' and then cutting it would work...or for a few cents less or more they do have 6' pieces. the boards are like 2" wide and 3/4" deep. as for DIY cranes did you browse the DIY section of this board? i think somebody posted plans.

Comment

Originally posted by Icarus2005
                    You can't afford to properly light a night exterior action scene - trust me!! There's even a lot of independent 35mm low budget films that can't afford to do it!

your best off doing it on overcast day, or if you can afford to silk large areas.
                    Maybe if they had used a DVX instead they might have been able to afford it.

Comment

Originally posted by Icarus2005

We'll be doing a lot of things that require actual night, that much is set.

PP to make actual and day for night look similar/identical is way beyond my abilities.

So I'll have to stay with all night ^_^

I'll see what I can pull off and hit you guys with the results...that is, if they are good XD

Comment

Working...
                      X