Orion 675 FS production units

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mitch Gross View Post
    Reflectors are about punch, fresnels are about beam shape. At least that was what we decided, in large part based on talking to many gaffers and DPs (and in our own preferences). With that said, we get some huge efficiencies in our fresnel design, especially as we go to tight beams. At 15 degrees we output 28,100 Lux (@10m and 5600K) compared to 29,300 Lux for the 600D, which is pretty impressive when you consider that the 600D is using all its monocolor emitters at 100% compared to our six-color engine. When you compare to their color-tunable light the 600C that output drops to just 7,440. To be fair their fresnel wasn't designed for that light, but this is what is available today.
    Thanks Mitch, I see the wide angle reflector being unique in that it gives an even wider beam than the completely flooded Fresnel, as well as likely being the only reflector that gives more output than the Fresnel at the same angle. I don't see as much point in putting out a tight beam reflector within the Fresnel's spot range. But like the wide angle providing a beam outside the range of the Fresnel, a tight (or ultra tight) could be something like 10 degrees - an output monster, without the complexity of a projection system. It's like talking about primes and zooms!

With the Prolock, how tight should we be locking modifiers? Is there a big risk of over tightening? Would vibrations like being transported with the Fresnel locked or mounting to a moving trailer for filming ever loosen the lock? It feels rock solid!
    robnortondp.com

Comment

Totally agree with your approach Mitch - a fresnel is about having a nice even beam, better shadows, more precise control vs. maximum output.

p.s. The output you quoted for the 675fs at full spot is at 10ft yeah? Not 10m

Comment

Originally posted by chris_f View Post
        Totally agree with your approach Mitch - a fresnel is about having a nice even beam, better shadows, more precise control vs. maximum output.

Except (again, according to the table, Run&Gun seems to have witnessed different results) it's more like more output too, it's not just reflectors = punch, fresnel = quality.

If there were a reflector for every single degree of the Fresnel range, and we know that at 55 degrees the reflector gives more output, but at 30 degrees, the Fresnel is already pulling away, then I'm assuming in the 35-50 range (rough guess), reflectors would win, with 35 degrees and narrower however, the Frensel takes over as it begins spotting. Thoughts?
        robnortondp.com

Comment

Originally posted by rob norton View Post

Thanks Mitch, I see the wide angle reflector being unique in that it gives an even wider beam than the completely flooded Fresnel, as well as likely being the only reflector that gives more output than the Fresnel at the same angle. I don't see as much point in putting out a tight beam reflector within the Fresnel's spot range. But like the wide angle providing a beam outside the range of the Fresnel, a tight (or ultra tight) could be something like 10 degrees - an output monster, without the complexity of a projection system. It's like talking about primes and zooms!

With the Prolock, how tight should we be locking modifiers? Is there a big risk of over tightening? Would vibrations like being transported with the Fresnel locked or mounting to a moving trailer for filming ever loosen the lock? It feels rock solid!
          Finger tight is all that is needed. I don't think people worry about their camera's lens mounts coming loose too often.
          Mitch Gross
          Aputure Lighting
          NYC

Comment

Originally posted by chris_f View Post

Oops, did I write 10m? Yes, 10ft / 3m.
            Mitch Gross
            Aputure Lighting
            NYC

Comment

Except (again, according to the table, Run&Gun seems to have witnessed different results) it's more like more output too, it's not just reflectors = punch, fresnel = quality.

If there were a reflector for every single degree of the Fresnel range, and we know that at 55 degrees the reflector gives more output, but at 30 degrees, the Fresnel is already pulling away, then I'm assuming in the 35-50 range (rough guess), reflectors would win, with 35 degrees and narrower however, the Frensel takes over as it begins spotting. Thoughts?
              At a certain point a lens is more effective than a mirror.
              Mitch Gross
              Aputure Lighting
              NYC

Comment

Finger tight is all that is needed. I don't think people worry about their camera's lens mounts coming loose too often.
                I looked up finger tight before my post because I thought it meant not much beyond not being loose. Supposedly it means as tight as possible with your fingers/hands, without using tools.
                robnortondp.com

Comment

I looked up finger tight before my post because I thought it meant not much beyond not being loose. Supposedly it means as tight as possible with your fingers/hands, without using tools.
                  Yeah, I’d use extreme discretion with that definition. I’ve seen people tighten things down like that and it took tools to un-tighten it. Some people just don’t have a good “feel” for when something is tight enough to safely/properly hold and will just torque it “beyond” and prematurely wear out or even damage parts(not saying that would be a likely case with the 675, just kind of a rant about some other things, like tripod heads).

Comment

OK, tighten it until it feels snug and is not resisting. Nothing more is needed.
                    Mitch Gross
                    Aputure Lighting
                    NYC

Comment

OK, tighten it until it feels snug and is not resisting. Nothing more is needed.
                      Lol thanks Mitch.
                      robnortondp.com

Comment

I randomly came across this video showing one person's Fresnel - just a head's up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60h-_jaK6SM
                        Last edited by rob norton; 02-05-2023, 05:15 PM.
                        robnortondp.com

Comment

Has anyone tried fitting the Orion into a different case? I'm debating trying the 1200D case and partitioning off an area for the fresnel. The hard case isn't great for me - super heavy and feels a bit cheap tbh.

Comment

I randomly came across this video showing one person's Fresnel - just a head's up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60h-_jaK6SM
                            Dude should have called his dealer ASAP and gotten it replaced. Fortunately neither mine nor my friends has exhibited any of that behavior. More than likely, it was assembled poorly at the factory or it was damaged in shipping. These things were not handled delicately in the shipping process. The outer box that mine came in was in poor condition with the actual shipping case had been ground down in a spot, like it had been dragged across concrete for a while, and the pull-out handle on my friends case was broken and had to be replaced(which it was, no questions asked).

Comment

Originally posted by Quested View Post
                              Has anyone tried fitting the Orion into a different case? I'm debating trying the 1200D case and partitioning off an area for the fresnel. The hard case isn't great for me - super heavy and feels a bit cheap tbh.
                              I may try a milk crate, as I’m moving to a van for my main gear transport vehicle. Just depends on how it will effect load-in’s and out’s(stacking on carts).

Comment

The fresnel and padding fits perfectly into a Pelican 1550 size case. I generally like getting all of my kit into a single Pelican case, but the Orion is a bit of a conundrum. As a complete unit without the fresnel, it seems to work best in a 1650 case and trying to pack the fresnel in is going to require a very large case since the barn doors are so big. That being said, I wish Prolycht had just nestled the wider reflector inside the tight reflector for shipping and left the corner of the case that housed the wide reflector open for the cord or speedring or other additions.

Comment

Working...
                                X