Chimera Daylite softboxes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chimera Daylite softboxes

Chimera Daylite softboxes are the extra deep ones( for narrow beam lights) designed to withstand a lot of heat. I just purchased one - in hopes of using it on a Prolycht 300 FS(beam angle just 55). There appears to be no speedring that would allow me to mount it to a Bowens mount. I read on the description at B&H at Adapter Rods # 4099 are required to mount it to studio flashes(like a bowens mount). But the angle of the Daylite rod holes is less than 90 degrees - not straight in like on most speedrings. Has anyone ever successfully mounted a Chimera Daylite softbox on a small bowens type mount? Are the input section of Daylight rods larger in diameter than standard Chimera rods? Any input would be nice.
    Last edited by d shay; 02-05-2022, 04:30 PM.

I have the chimera 4099 for my quartz banks. The description specifically states "quartz" adapter, so I don't think it would work. Have you tried just bending the standard daylite rods into the bowens mount speedring? You'd lose some of the length, but it might actually fit fine due to the standard mount being a smaller circumference.

Also, Chimera has a daylite jr box meant for smaller lights. If it is an option, you could get a daylite jr bank, a bowens s mount internal ring, and a daylite jr external speedring.

Comment

Why not try Prolycht's soft box?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...0_fs_dome.html

Comment

Originally posted by Run&Gun View Post
        The Prolycht cannot fill up the softbox without an inner baffle. The baffle helps but light levels are knocked down significantly. (https://youtu.be/6YxSef1IEPU?t=992). Performance with their lantern is even worse. It would have been great to use a Prolycht 300 fs in a lantern without any gels. One solution I'm looking at is making a baffle out of Rosco Opti-Sculpt 60/40 degree. Rosco says it should increase the beam angle from 55 to 80 degrees with little loss of light.

Comment

Yeah, a lot of LED fixtures require(or it's recommended that you use) the baffles that come with soft boxes designed for them. The Chimera's for my Gemini's have them, but in most instances they still have plenty of output.

But I took my own advise and ordered the Prolycht 36" octo to try out. Supposed to be here today. I figured for only $190, it was worth the gamble. Heck, I probably have speedings that cost that much... I bought in on the 3-for-2 deal back in December and now I'll have a pattern projector and a set of barn doors(got the Aputures) for each and this soft box.

Comment

Originally posted by Run&Gun View Post
            Yeah, a lot of LED fixtures require(or it's recommended that you use) the baffles that come with soft boxes designed for them. The Chimera's for my Gemini's have them, but in most instances they still have plenty of output.

But I took my own advise and ordered the Prolycht 36" octo to try out. Supposed to be here today. I figured for only $190, it was worth the gamble. Heck, I probably have speedings that cost that much... I bought in on the 3-for-2 deal back in December and now I'll have a pattern projector and a set of barn doors(got the Aputures) for each and this soft box.
            I'm trying out multiple solutions. I also have a photoflex Cinedome on order. They are knock-offs of the Chimera Daylite Jr. series but they don't require the special speedrings. Photoflex discontinued the small and medium size but you can still purchase the 36x48". Like the Chimera series, they are designed for Fresnels with narrow beams. Also the Aputure mini-Dome II works pretty well with the Prolycht 300. Instead of a regular baffle it uses a silver reflector to spread the light. Loses about 2/3 of a stop over the larger Aputure Dome though.

Comment

Working...
            X