Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prolycht & dedolight announce Technical Collaboration

Prolycht and dedolight announce lighting technology collaboration

Prolycht and dedolight are delighted to announce a new technology collaboration. Prolycht is the innovator of the new Hyperlight Color Engine, which utilizes the computer controlled mix of six color LED emitters to achieve an extremely accurate and wide color spectrum. The dedolight company is the creator of some of the all time best selling lighting instruments for professional motion picture, television, still photography, and architectural uses worldwide with advanced opto-mechanical designs which have earned two Technical Achievement Awards by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Users will enjoy previously unattainable levels of accuracy, control and performance as the two brands cooperate on cutting edge new lighting technology.

Earlier this year, Prolycht launched the Orion 300 FS, a powerful LED spotlight that revolutionizes professional lighting with its incredible full color spectrum output. By using multiple LEDs in six colors precisely mixed together – red, green, blue, amber, cyan and lime (RGBACL) – the Hyperlight Color Engine at the core of the Orion 300 FS can reproduce light sources like sodium street lighting or candlelight which have traditionally been hard to emulate. This technology offers best-in-class color accuracy by eliminating the gaps in the spectrum found on other LED fixtures which result in unwanted or unexpected results.

In addition to their technical partnership, Prolycht has also appointed Dedo Weigert Film as exclusive distribution partner for Germany, Russia and the greater Eastern European territory. Dealers and users from Germany and Eastern Europe can now contact Dedo Weigert Film for information on where to purchase Prolycht lights and receive technical advice and support. Dedo Weigert Film will show the current range of Prolycht products on the company’s booth at upcoming trade shows.

Dedo Weigert built the first dedolight using the revolutionary optical principle of the dual lens concept in 1984. It went on to become the single best-selling lighting instrument for professional motion picture, television, still photography, and architectural uses worldwide. In 1990 dedolight earned the Technical Achievement Award from the Oscar Committee of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, which was later followed with an Emmy, multiple Cinek Awards, and the 2021 BSC Bert Easy Award. Over the years larger sizes of lights in both daylight and tungsten were introduced incorporating both a patented triple zoom focus and new patented Double Aspheric technology for further enhanced light output, tighter focusing range, and more even light and color distribution. Today dedolight offers discharge, halogen and LED fixtures with the most accurate and precise shaping of light in the business.
    Based in Shenzhen, China, Prolycht is the brainchild of leading color scientist Dr. Anqing Liu, who set out to create a better LED light by using his many years of experience studying color reproduction and perceptual color. Dr. Liu was formerly a research scientist at Philips and an academic at the Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in Troy, NY. He contributed to the current CIE (International Commission on Illumination) standards which are used to evaluate lighting. Frustrated by the inferior color fidelity he saw on most professional LED lighting fixtures, Dr. Liu developed the Hyperlight Color Engine and founded Prolycht. The Orion 300 FS represents the current state of the art in tunable full spectrum LED technology.
    Announcing the collaboration Dr. Anqing Liu said:
    "The Partnership with Dedo Weigert GmbH is an important milestone in the growing of Prolycht. While Prolycht has done a lot of research and development on color and control, we strive to make our products and their features best conform to the ways in which our professional customers wish to use the lights. Mr. Dedo Weigert is the master of lighting whom I admire very much. His unique understanding of film and television lighting has been representing the highest level of the industry for many years. I am full of expectations for the partnership with Dedo. When Prolycht’s colors meet Dedo's optics, magical things are about to happen.

Dedo Weigert stated:
    "As an image creator and DoP since the 60īs, I lived and worked through endless obstacles of traditional tools and hindrances. I started dedolight and we have worked for decades to create lighting tools with extreme focus range, perfect brightness and color distribution, and the utmost control. We worked hard over 10 years to create mono- and bi-color LED systems only to find that even the most perfect light sources could not reproduce clean skin tones since sensors of different cameras produce diverging skin tone interpretations. Finally we were able to match with all different cameras, skin tones of all different origins with clean reference light.

But now the perfect multi-color control of Dr. Liu’s Prolycht Hyperlight Color Engine opens a new world and the ability to match even mixed light and reflections. This is a dream come true for perfection and added creative potential in addition to all the outstanding features of the Prolycht system. The opportunity to support this by our optical achievements and potential is maybe the most promising creative partnership in my life."

Mitch Gross
    Aputure Lighting
    NYC

Wow! This is a very exciting turn of events.

I am a huge fan of Dedolight optics and can see the huge potential of these two brands working together.

Will have my fingers crossed that some of my current Dedo accessories will work on future lights made from this collaboration.

Comment

This has amazing potential. Exciting announcement Mitch. Congrats on the partnership!

Comment

Agreed. Excited to see the progression of this partnership.

Comment

Take our money. Very exciting!
          www.AbeFilms.com

All men are brothers

Comment

That's exciting news, thanks for sharing Mitch.

I'm interested to see how the collaboration shows itself. If anyone can come close to a FS light with DLH4 beam range (4.5 to 48 degrees), without current dedo pricing or being a monster in size, and enough output (not huge amounts but enough), they won't be able to make them fast enough.

Here's a haiku to celebrate the partnership.

lighting unicorn
            spectrum and optics
            Prolycht, this is Dedolight
            robnortondp.com

Comment

Thanks everyone. Abe, I'm happy to take your money whenever you want to give it and Rob, I'm sharing your poetry with our staff.

Both companies see this as an excellent, complementary match. We're working on several fronts and hope to show the fruits of our labors soon.
              Mitch Gross
              Aputure Lighting
              NYC

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch Gross View Post
                Thanks everyone. Abe, I'm happy to take your money whenever you want to give it and Rob, I'm sharing your poetry with our staff.

Both companies see this as an excellent, complementary match. We're working on several fronts and hope to show the fruits of our labors soon.
                The most important thing is to make sure that the first few releases all come with a promotional buy 2, get 1 free promo!

(btw, I took advantage of that recent offer!)

Comment

Received one of the pattern projector kits today and my three lights are supposed to arrive on Monday. Although I have no idea where in the world I'm going to put them. I have my truck completely unloaded right now to start having some work/upgrades done tomorrow, and between the gear that doesn't ride all the time that sits in storage and the gear that does, my storage building is full and running over.

BTW, Mitch. How's y'all's stock of pattern projectors? I was only able to get ahold of one, right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch Gross View Post
                    Rob, I'm sharing your poetry with our staff.
                    Haha that's great. In my rush to be the first to get out a haiku I messed up the order of lines 2 and 3 (for anyone getting into haikus, it should be 5/7/5 syllables).

Anyway it's also a smart announcement because I'm sure some people will hesitate buying currently available competitor products because they'd rather see what comes of the collaboration.
                    robnortondp.com

Comment

Originally posted by Run&Gun View Post
                      Received one of the pattern projector kits today and my three lights are supposed to arrive on Monday. Although I have no idea where in the world I'm going to put them. I have my truck completely unloaded right now to start having some work/upgrades done tomorrow, and between the gear that doesn't ride all the time that sits in storage and the gear that does, my storage building is full and running over.

BTW, Mitch. How's y'all's stock of pattern projectors? I was only able to get ahold of one, right now.
                      You're committed to some type of hard case for the FS300s aren't you?
                      robnortondp.com

Comment

Originally posted by ozmorphasis View Post

The most important thing is to make sure that the first few releases all come with a promotional buy 2, get 1 free promo!

(btw, I took advantage of that recent offer!)
                        Nice one oz, does this mean goodbye 300xs? I can't exactly remember what lights you have. You'll have to give us a report on how you like them.
                        robnortondp.com

Comment

Originally posted by rob norton View Post

You're committed to some type of hard case for the FS300s aren't you?
                          Once they come in, I’m definitely going to see what I can do to get as many as I can, safely into one hard case. Because the cases that they ship in, as nice as they may be, appear to be roughly the size of the case the 600d comes in or maybe larger. And that would be taking up a LOT of space for three lights.

But, now that my truck is completely empty of all gear, I need to take some time and re-evaluate what I carry on a general day-in/day-out basis. A lot of what I carry never, or almost never, gets used, but I don’t want to get caught in a situation where I need one of those pieces to save the day and don’t have it with me. Because if I own it and don’t carry it and then need it, what was the point of buying it in the first place?

Comment

Originally posted by Run&Gun View Post

Once they come in, I’m definitely going to see what I can do to get as many as I can, safely into one hard case. Because the cases that they ship in, as nice as they may be, appear to be roughly the size of the case the 600d comes in or maybe larger. And that would be taking up a LOT of space for three lights.

But, now that my truck is completely empty of all gear, I need to take some time and re-evaluate what I carry on a general day-in/day-out basis. A lot of what I carry never, or almost never, gets used, but I don’t want to get caught in a situation where I need one of those pieces to save the day and don’t have it with me. Because if I own it and don’t carry it and then need it, what was the point of buying it in the first place?
                            There's probably no winning if you're trying to carry everything just in case. Can you create a standard with 1650s or smaller cases then if you need to swap anything in/out, a case of the exact same size replaces it.

For the 300FS lights, maybe it's better to have individual cases per light vs. larger cases with pairs. For example, a storm 2700 is one of the bigger suit case style cases without adding extra bulk of wheels. This could house the light and power supply, cable, maybe reflector as a basic set up, then you carry a range of awkwardly shaped accessories separately.

I think you've got too much stuff and are screwed!
                            robnortondp.com

Comment

Originally posted by rob norton View Post

Nice one oz, does this mean goodbye 300xs? I can't exactly remember what lights you have. You'll have to give us a report on how you like them.
                              That's right. I'll be selling my 300x soon. I do want to try out the Prolycht's first though. I imagine it will be a no brainer. The only issue/concern I have are from the reviews that show that the fixture is too spotty to fill a dome evenly. Gaffer and Gear's review showed that. I can always back it up more when filling a frame in a big enough space, but getting a decent sized softbox into a small space is pretty important to me a lot of the time.

I actually don't like owning too many lights. I want a core group that works really well in a variety of situations and that scales up nicely with rentals when needed. If it won't all fit in my SUV, then it's a gig that should have a gaffer with his/her own truck/ van and the budget needs to support that. I'm trying to stick with that idea as I don't see my back getting happier over the years by just adding more and more owner/op gear.

If I owned more of a partnership type production company with a physical space dedicated to that, I'd maybe feel different about that.

So this brings me to my question: Will these new collaboration fixtures replace some of my other current fixtures (600d) with high horsepower AND great color control? Or, only in the direction of surgical control (Prolycht color engine + Dedo DLED optics/focusing)? If we get all of the above, I'll happily replace ALL of my hard fixtures. Take that, Mitch!

Comment

Working...
                              X