CineGear Expo - Lighting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CineGear Expo - Lighting

I went to CineGear Expo to look at lights. I'm interested in Litemat products. I haven't read up on them yet, but I'd like to hear how they are in regards to handling. Being a bunch of LED chips mounted on a piece of plastic is clever, but just how vulnerable are they? Has anybody had a lot of use with these? (first picture)

I don't know if these are new, but I found the CarpetLight fabric interesting. The LEDs are mounted to fabric that has no wires. The power is conducted through the fabric, which has conductive threads. Does anybody find a use for these? (second picture)

20170602_131918.jpg20170602_123423.jpg
    Last edited by Paul F; 06-30-2017, 07:14 AM.
    Awarded Best Clear Com Chatter, 2001, PBS Television

I agree; the CarpetLight looks very interesting. I'd love to hear more about it.
    Jeremey
    --
    "That's just my opinion...I could be wrong"

Comment

Have used the Litemats for a couple of years now, they are durable and reliable. They have become an industry standard and most gaffers I know have a few in their kit.
      Charles Papert
      charlespapert.com

Comment

Awhile ago I saw some prototype LiteMats with much improved cables, & connectors. We're those shown at Cine Gear?

Comment

That German Carpetlight is super expensive, kit for the one displayed is like 7k Euros .
          Jean Heguy
          http://www.jeanheguy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Bern Caughey View Post
            Awhile ago I saw some prototype LiteMats with much improved cables, & connectors. We're those shown at Cine Gear?
            Yes, they had both types of connector at the show. The first type are really cheesy, but the new ones look like a nice connector. I don't know what brand/type they were, but they looked like a quality barrel connector. They also replaced the cheesy ribbon cable.

20170602_131215.jpg

Comment

Thanks Paul.

Those blue connectors look like the ones on my Aladdin Bi-Flex(s), & have (so far) worked great.

Comment

Anyone hear anything about RGB Litemats?

I've used the litemats and ribbons on two occasions, so I'm not an expert, but I found them to be very convenient...either for tight spaces, or for hiding fixtures with minimal gripping.
                Rafael Abreu-Canedo
                http://abreu-canedo.film
                Instagram

Comment

They showed an RGB Litemat at CineGear. Their story is impressive. I didn't follow it all, but it will be worth reading up more on it. I couldn't find anything online about it. Here is a picture of it with the diffuser pulled back. You can see it has two different LED chips. The LED chips looked like they had multiple color emitters on each chip. The monitor is showing a slide about it. He was explaining that the panel can be made to only emit light in the REC 709 color space.

The second picture shows it producing a red. What my Samsung phone captured and what my eye saw were two very different things.

I don't know why the pictures are posting upside down.

20170602_135843.jpg

20170602_131312.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Paul F View Post
                    They showed an RGB Litemat at CineGear. Their story is impressive. I didn't follow it all, but it will be worth reading up more on it. I couldn't find anything online about it. Here is a picture of it with the diffuser pulled back. You can see it has two different LED chips. The LED chips looked like they had multiple color emitters on each chip. The monitor is showing a slide about it. He was explaining that the panel can be made to only emit light in the REC 709 color space.

The second picture shows it producing a red. What my Samsung phone captured and what my eye saw were two very different things.

I don't know why the pictures are posting upside down.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]124067[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]124068[/ATTACH]
                    Thanks, Paul!

Wow, you know, I never thought about the capabilities of light to emit in certain color spaces. Very interesting thing to explore. Also glad to see they are already in prototype mode, too! I've been waiting for this. Were you able to get any hint or indication on a potential release timeline? And I mean vaguely: 2017, 2018?
                    Rafael Abreu-Canedo
                    http://abreu-canedo.film
                    Instagram

Comment

I did not get details about the light because I don't have an application for it at out facility. The controller for it was about 2" x 7" x 7". It had a LCD with a lot of information on it besides color temperature. It had hue, sat, gain, temp, and other knobs on it. He was explaining that the light could be somehow calibrated to specific cameras. This is the part I didn't follow. Somehow the light was able to be calibrated to the color science of each camera. You tell it what camera you have and it did something to put out light calibrated to your camera model. Whatever he was saying, it seemed quite revolutionary.

Comment

Were any interesting new focusing COB LEDs shown at Cine Gear?

Comment

Dedolight was there. I did not look at their stuff. I wasn't looking for that type of light. I don't recall seeing anything similar to an LED Dedo. There were plenty of LED Fresnels, but I wasn't shopping for those either.

Comment

Quasar Science Q50R RGB LED tube light Cinegear 2017

http://www.newsshooter.com/2017/06/0...cinegear-2017/

Comment

Pretty impressed with what I see as the current version of the LiteMats. You also can get a good bead on what they cost. The kits are inline with what Kinos cost. I can live with that. Looking forward to adding some of these larger LED fixtures to my regular kit.

Comment

Working...
                              X