Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PixaPro LED 100D Mark II+ (S-mount) and 3rd party fresnel add-on reviews (links)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PixaPro LED 100D Mark II+ (S-mount) and 3rd party fresnel add-on reviews (links)

Hi there!

I'm considering buying a light and have come across the PixaPro LED 100D Mark II+ which has fairly recently become available for shipping to the US. I just wanted to share the news here, as I couldn't find any posts about it on this board. Color temperature is 5600K, CRI should be >94, light output is officially around 15000 lux @ 1 meter (11500 lux measured in Nitsan's review), and the fan should be extremely quiet. The latter is very important to me as I would be using it for interviews. It's fitted with a Bowens S-mount, so it should accept all types of modifiers, and the plus (+) version can run on V-mount batteries. There is also an optional 2.4GHz remote control available which is said to be able to control up to 99 lights across 10 different channels. Price for the plus version should be around 460 USD including shipping to the US.

The lights appear to be available on Ebay and also from Essentialphoto in the UK, where they have many kit options as well as cheaper non V-mount and first generation versions. Please note that color accuracy and fan noise was improved in generation two (mark II).

UglyMcGregor got a 5% promo code for his subscribers which can be found under his review of the light. Just to make it clear, I am not affiliated with any of the reviewers or resellers. I'm just on the market for a light and wanted to share what I found.

Review by Nitsan Simantov: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOS-6YyFeSc
    Review by "UglyMcGregor": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbPTPFDsrU0
    Review of 3rd party fresnel add-on by Nitsan Simantov: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JuitNXvtQI

Last edited by HJD; 06-22-2016, 07:00 AM. Reason: Changed title to include fresnel add-on review

I have been debating between the pixapro 100D MK 2 and the Aputure 120c lights and saw this thread on eoshd that might help you decide. Let us know what you go with as I am debating between those two lights myself (tempted to break down and buy the pixapro now since its available and the daylight Aputure 120c is not out yet, but trying to sell my lowel Caselite first)

http://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic/...ghting/?page=2
    Florida Based Photographer & Cinematographer
    http://www.austinburke.photography/

Comment

...and to further complicate things, there's this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfPsGPY2YtU

There is a recent thread here about it.

I'm in the same boat, trying to decide which bowens mount light to get.

Comment

Originally posted by ozmorphasis View Post
        ...and to further complicate things, there's this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfPsGPY2YtU

There is a recent thread here about it.

I'm in the same boat, trying to decide which bowens mount light to get.
        The build quality on that light appears to be total crap. I wouldn't trust those knobs (which you could probably replace) for even light use. The focusing mechanism of the lens will also fail quickly, considering the cheap plastic/design it appears to use. At least it is using a lens though, the Aputure 120c doesn't. The spot lux on CN-60f looks nice.

Thanks for posting the review though as I was unaware of the brand, and reviewer. He did a good job, will have to check out some of his other videos
        Last edited by hojomo; 06-22-2016, 04:49 PM.

Comment

Looks like the pixa-pro is a little better on the build side. The bowens mount on the guang one doesn't look like it would support a substantial soft box.

Comment

One thing to mention about hte pixa-pro is its bought and shipped from a UK site last time I checked (correctly me if I am wrong) and the UK pound is dropping a bit so if you are in the US the conversion rate might work in your favor and it might be worth picking up the pixa pro

Comment

@ReelFilmGeek/Austin Burke: Thanks for reminding me of that thread! I'd seen it before and now I'll be following it and I've also asked a question about the light there. Yes, I also find the PixaPro tempting. I was also tempted when Nitsan reviewed version 1, but now I'm glad I waited as CRI and fan noise should be improved in version 2 as well as its dimmability. Fan noise is the thing I'm most concerned about.

@ozmorphasis: Yes, that light also looks interesting. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. It even exists in a 200W version that I found on Aliexpress. I'm a bit concerned about its build, but other than that it looks appealing - especially since it has no fan. Where I live I'd have to factor in import duty as well though, so that's another factor to consider.

@hojomo: Thanks for weighing in. Yes, I also thought reviewer did a very nice job.

@StrobelPhotography: Yes, I would also prefer metal. Though one would think they have had their reason to go with a composite material.

@ReelFilmGeek: Yes, the PixaPro is shipped from the UK. I'm in mainland Europe, but I can also take advantage of the lower GBP. So I might just end up doing that.

Thanks to everyone for weighing in! :-)

Comment

Ordered two of the pixapro 100D MK II since B&H had some bowen s mount speed rings to switch out with the rings on the Paul C Buff softboxes so I'll give my input once I get them in.

Comment

Originally posted by ReelFilmGeek View Post
                  Ordered two of the pixapro 100D MK II since B&H had some bowen s mount speed rings to switch out with the rings on the Paul C Buff softboxes so I'll give my input once I get them in.
                  @ReelFilmGeek: Sounds great! Looking forward to hearing your view on the PixaPro 100D MK II. I just got new video editing software and received my new speedlights and remote commander today, so I'm waiting for my debit card to cool off a bit before I order more stuff. I'm still very interested in the PixaPro though. They just lowered the price by 50 GBP on the MK II+ as well. Very tempting! This weekend I'm going abroad for a week, so I'll probably look into lights again when I return.

Comment

Originally posted by HJD View Post
                    @ReelFilmGeek: Sounds great! Looking forward to hearing your view on the PixaPro 100D MK II. I just got new video editing software and received my new speedlights and remote commander today, so I'm waiting for my debit card to cool off a bit before I order more stuff. I'm still very interested in the PixaPro though. They just lowered the price by 50 GBP on the MK II+ as well. Very tempting! This weekend I'm going abroad for a week, so I'll probably look into lights again when I return.
                    No problem. Yeah heard from a review they were able to shoot high frame rates without flicker so that basically sold me on them. Anything you would like to see tested out?

Comment

No problem. Yeah heard from a review they were able to shoot high frame rates without flicker so that basically sold me on them. Anything you would like to see tested out?
                      Ah, yea I guess no flicker at high frame rates would be important especially if you plan on doing slow motion. It's really kind of you to offer to test out things about the light I might be interested in. - thanks a lot Austin! What I'm most concerned about is fan noise. Every report I've seen from PixaPro owners seems to suggest that fan noise is not really a problem with the 100D MK II. If you could weigh in on that it would be great. Although not a scientific test, it could be helpful if you had like a Rode filmmaker or Sennheiser wireless kit or a wired lavaliere and set the record level so normal interview dialogue had a strong signal and then moved closer and closer to the light in a quiet/silent room and perhaps measured at what distance from the light the fan noise would be picked up by the lavaliere. This is only a suggestion as I would appreciate any feedback you might have on the issue. The light should be dimmable from 100-10% and it would also be interesting to know if you feel the 10% setting is low enough for moody lighting. I guess an ND gel in front of the LED could solve it, if it turned out to be an issue. And of course it would be nice to know what you feel about the light in general. Once it's in your hands I'm sure you'll discover things you like and perhaps things you wish were different. Any feedback you wish to share would be appreciated. Thanks

Comment

Hi Austin, have you received your Pixapros yet, and if so, what's your impression of them?

Comment

Working...
                        X