No announcement yet.

An opinion on ARRI Softbank Kits @ B&H

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have an Arri Softbank kit that I bought from B&H and I'm very happy with it. They're built to last.

The only problem I've ever seen with any Arri stuff was some light stands that had the threads stripped on the tighteners, but I suspect that was probably the result of some careless person abusing the equipment.

Comment

lago, what Softbank kit did you get?

Comment

I rented a couple of ARRI Fresnels and can't wait to get some extra cash to buy myself a set!!!! I'm looking at the softbank D2. If you use crappy open faced lights such as the Britek kits (I have a set, they're pretty bad...) and you try these, you will wonder how you got along without them. The stand seemed kinda flimsy, but to its credit it is a rental and people don't usually treat them with respect.

Comment

Originally posted by farfromsubtle
          lago, what Softbank kit did you get?
          I have the softbank I with the 1k open face, two fresnel 650's, and one fresnel 300.

Comment

I like Arri fresnels but,
            those Arri softbanks are tedious to set-up and take-down.

I prefer the Lowell Rifa-Lite myself.
            So amazingly quick and easy to set-up.
            Everything is self contained, opens like an umbrella.

No adapter ring to worry about or to have to wait to cool down.
            It's the only light I recommend from Lowell.

-BillP

Comment

Yes, the Lowel Rifa lights are awesome, but expensive; I only have one but use the hell out of it. And yes, it's the only Lowell light I own

Yes the Arri chimeras are a pain in the ass to use and time consuming; that's why I don't have any.

The reason I don't have any 150s is because the difference in price to go up to a 300 is almost nothing, so why not give yourself the extra light and just scrim or dim when needed?

As far as starting a kit goes: always start with fresnels, they're the most versital.

Of course all this is only one man's opinion, and my opinion has been known to be less than reliable during a full moon.

Comment

you might want to look into altman lights as well. Basically they are exactly the same as Arri, but in a different color and a lt cheaper. As far as 150s are concerned, I use them for rim lights constantly, they are also great for highlighting background items in a room. Alternately, pyramid film (i forget thier website) ake a great 200w fresnel that makes a sweet rim for pretty cheap too.
                01.PRODUCTIONS
                www.01productions.com

Comment

Pyramid's URL is:

http://www.pyramid-films.com/

I bought a 2k Fresnel and some combo stands from them a while back.

Comment

Working...
                  X