Westcott 1x2 vs Aladdin Bi-Flex 1x2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Westcott 1x2 vs Aladdin Bi-Flex 1x2

I have two Aladdin Bi-Flex 50 and like them very much but am looking at the larger and more powerful 1x2 flex panels from Westcott and Aladdin. Everytime I use the Aladdin panels they work so great and have such a nice light quality so the idea of having almost twice the power and larger surface area is tempting despite the high price. The flex panels are at the same time so light and easy to fit when traveling and to me a great tool overall.

I like the cine package from Westcott with the frame as this is a ready solution to more or less but on a light stand, if you have the flex panel mounted to the frame already inside the case, as oppose to the Aladdin Bi-Flex 100 which takes some assembly before it's on stand.

But the Aladdin have an integrated V-lock mount on the dimmer unit thus making it a better solution to shoot with batteries. Thus I'm not sure which to get? On the other hand as they both share the same size it might be possible to get the Westcott frame and put it on the Aladdin 1x2, or just make something yourself. Ideas?

I thought the Westcott lights were simply the Aladdin lights sold under licence?

If you want the V-mount adapter built in, building a frame for the Aladdin lights (from 1" aluminium or plastic tubing and corners) will probably cost you a grand total of $5-$10 from a hardware store, then you could just tape some half soft frost or something in front of it.
    DREAMSMITHS | SHOWREEL | INSTAGRAM
    www.dreamsmiths.com.au

Comment

Light quality is the same but they differ in how they are put together. They have different dimmers and such.

Comment

I already have two Westcott Daylight panels, but mine are still bound to outlets. I will pick up the Westcott d-tap cable for my two lights and just buy a d-tap splitter 1:4.

Then I'll buy a good capacity v-mount battery and I can power (up to) 4 lights for a while pretty conveniently. For tighter interview setups you could probably even run from a single battery, even if one battery per light is more flexible.
        @andreemarkefors

Comment

Westcott is not as good as Aladdin when it comes to battery use. I really like the controllers with V-mount on the back. Usually I place them near the camera and can make adjustments while looking at the monitor. Battery powered is so great not needing to look at power on location.

Comment

Or you could customize it to he|| and back:

https://youtu.be/qlMtakaa7u8

Comment

Nice tip for the non-pro shooter. I'd be very careful using something home brewed that might stop working during a shoot.

I see a few more things to consider with these larger 1x2 flex panels. First they are wider and the concept of the 1x1 flex panels are their tiny size. With the 1x2 panels how do I best carry them? Rolled up or flat taking up more space? My 1x1 Bi-Flex panels fits in a B&W 50 case flat but with 1x2 I don't know how to store or transport them. So I'm also considering just getting one or two additional 1x1 Bi-Flex panels as they might be easier to transport.

Preferable I'd like a case to hold one 1x2 and two 1x1 panels and not be to heavy to carry. This would probably cover 90% of what I shoot.

Comment

Originally posted by Osslund View Post
                I have two Aladdin Bi-Flex 50 and like them very much but am looking at the larger and more powerful 1x2 flex panels from Westcott and Aladdin. Everytime I use the Aladdin panels they work so great and have such a nice light quality so the idea of having almost twice the power and larger surface area is tempting despite the high price. The flex panels are at the same time so light and easy to fit when traveling and to me a great tool overall.

I like the cine package from Westcott with the frame as this is a ready solution to more or less but on a light stand, if you have the flex panel mounted to the frame already inside the case, as oppose to the Aladdin Bi-Flex 100 which takes some assembly before it's on stand.

But the Aladdin have an integrated V-lock mount on the dimmer unit thus making it a better solution to shoot with batteries. Thus I'm not sure which to get? On the other hand as they both share the same size it might be possible to get the Westcott frame and put it on the Aladdin 1x2, or just make something yourself. Ideas?
                Do you still have your Astras? How did you like them, especially color on skin?
                Join my facebook group for other group buys and special pricing on video kit.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/cinekitlist/

Comment

I like the Astras and shoot with them every week. Their greatest feature is light output. But to me the Bi-Flex panels makes a prettier light albeit not as bright as the Astra, so the new 1x2 panels looks like something that can be near as bright as the Astra but prettier. Skin tones looks good on both but I actually think the Bi-Flex looks nicer.
                  Last edited by Alpha Beta Omega; 03-31-2016, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Osslund- I wanted to clear up some references in this thread to Aladdin and Westcott products. Originally, Aladdin was licensed to sell the Patented Flex product in certain parts of the globe. Due to some differing opinions over professional business practices, Aladdin’s right to sell the patented product was withdrawn. Currently F.J. Westcott is the holder of the patent and the only authorized seller of the Flex.

Comment

I guess that applies for the US only?

Comment

What I want to know is where the heck are the cheap Chinese knock-offs that should be littering eBay?

Comment

Originally posted by joe12south View Post
                          What I want to know is where the heck are the cheap Chinese knock-offs that should be littering eBay?
                          Oh, it will come - if the product becomes popular anyway. It takes some time. How long was it before Chinese Biax became ubiquitous? My Kino knockoffs have been superstars for 4 or 5 years now though.

And look at Aputure - their little 672 LED is a really, really handy little light. Yes, all the kids-with-their-first-DSLR are going to get really bummed using that as their main key, but for hair/rim/cheekbones or picking out some background detail - I could pack 6 of those in the space of one quad biax. Haven't loved a piece of gear like that in some time. And it doesn't really seem to be any sort of specific knockoff, just a well-thought-out light.

Noticed that Chinese 1.2k HMI's are now well under $1k. Hell, I might even bite that bullet - my 575 par just barely fights daylight for big-office interviews… need… more… light.

Comment

I put in an order for the Aladdin Bi-Flex 100 today, but as it's so new I don't expect it to arrive for at least a week or two. I just found the dimmer with integrated V-mount to be the thing that made me go for the Aladdin.

Comment

Originally posted by FJWinfo View Post
                              Osslund- I wanted to clear up some references in this thread to Aladdin and Westcott products. Originally, Aladdin was licensed to sell the Patent pending Flex product in certain parts of the globe. Due to some differing opinions over professional business practices, Aladdin’s right to sell the patent pending product was withdrawn. Currently F.J. Westcott is the only authorized seller of the Flex.
                              The official Patent has been issued http://westcottu.com/westcott-flex-now-patented

Comment

Working...
                              X