Rate this lighting kit...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rate this lighting kit...

I'm looking for something that'll cover various projects (indoors/outdoors...music videos & short films) and I'm wondering if this one's a good deal...

http://cgi.ebay.com/1600-Watt-Video-...QQcmdZViewItem

I have no idea if this is the limit of your budget, but 3 heads and soft boxes for under $500?

I really doubt that these are quality sources.

Personally, I am not really a fan of an all open face lighting kit. I myself would look for Fresnel's that accommodate scrims and barndoors. For domestic mains lighting, 650s are a good upper limit, but not necessary for every source. I really doubt there would be many situations where you would need a softbox on every source.

Trying to shoot outdoors with anything smaller than a 2k isn't really going to do much for you. Music videos could be a real challenge with this small of kit.

If you don't plan on using your lighting all the time, I would suggest that you consider renting instead of owning. If you are in a major film market area like LA, you can get a set 3 of Arri or Mole 650s with a Chimera for less than $80 day/weekend. These are the real thing and well give you great results.

Comment

Thanks.

I live in Omaha, Nebraska.

You all know, that state in the middle of the US.

We're kind of more than just cornfields.
      Well, kinda

Anyhow, there is Lights On (http://lightson.com/rental/omaha/lighting) here in town. I stopped by today, however, the owner/advisor wasn't in, so I'll check back with them later this week. They have some very decent stuff. If you have time, check 'em out, let me know what you think - or if you could tell me what I should rent...if that's even possible.

We (My co-producer/location scout/all-around awesome girl & I) are expecting to be notified Wednesday on whether or not we'll be granted to tape inside of an office building...so the lighting will be an issue.

As far as the outdoor shots are concerned, we're hoping for a bright-sunshiney-afternoon!!

Oh, we'll probably shoot on a DVX or Canon XL2.

Comment

Those are Britek fixtures, do a search on them.

If you are on the look for those fixtures, this is the best place to get them:

www.rostronics.com

Good Luck!
        www.juliotaubkin.com

Comment

Originally posted by OldManWinters
          Thanks.

I live in Omaha, Nebraska.

You all know, that state in the middle of the US.

We're kind of more than just cornfields.
          Well, kinda

Anyhow, there is Lights On (http://lightson.com/rental/omaha/lighting) here in town. I stopped by today, however, the owner/advisor wasn't in, so I'll check back with them later this week. They have some very decent stuff. If you have time, check 'em out, let me know what you think - or if you could tell me what I should rent...if that's even possible.
          Yeah, despite being in LA, I do know about the middle of the country (I was born in another corn state, Iowa).

I looked at the link that you provided, they seem to have a good selection of great lighting to choose from. I would be happy to make a few suggestions, but would need to know about what you are shooting, the size of the setups, the type of look you want, etc. You need to consider your power issues (will you have a genny?) as they will also influence your choices.

Comment

It's for a music video. I find out tomorrow (crosses fingers) if we'll have access to an office building. I'll most likely shoot on a DVX. We're going for a "film" look. So I'm thinking the more light the better, right? I can always fix it in post, I assume.

I've also heard to use little light and to manually adjust the iris...for that "film" look. But let's face it, it's video, so I'll just be happy with nice lighting that looks great & creates dimensions.

For the exterior shots we'll probably just use household outlets.

I'm hoping we don't blow any fuses
            I suppose that's less likey in the office building scenario.
            Possibly.

Comment

In general, keep your light useage to less than 2000 watts per circuit and you shouldn't blow it (provided that you're dealing with a 20 amp circuit).
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X