DI Space Light, 400 watt HID. Nice!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DI Space Light, 400 watt HID. Nice!

Found a use for my mogul 6500k grow bulb & ballast. Made a nice space light, 20" square x 32" tall.

Gives me F4, 1/60th at 10 feet or so on my AC130 (sensor is about 300 iso). Frame grab was a corporate shoot, used an Alzo bulb/ballast in a 24" china as fill. They wanted very flat light. Side/back light's a dual biax flo with 1/4 minus green - I wasn't too fond of the harder back light, they loved it.

The 400 bulb needs 1/2 CTO to get it to daylight, that's maybe a 1/3 stop loss?? Really pleased with it, packs flat and I also made a black hood with just the front open and silver fabric lining - seems to add an extra stop out front. making a "box" out of ripstop is sort of a challenge...

Well under $200 bucks for everything.

spacelight.jpg

grab.jpg

Nice. Thanks Michael.
    "The enemy of art is the absence of limitations"
    -Orson Wells.

"To me the great hope is... people that normally wouldn't be making movies will make them and suddenly some little fat girl in Ohio will be the new Mozart and will make a beautiful film using her father's camera-corder and the "Professionalism" of movie making will be destroyed forever and it will finally become an art form."
    -Francis Ford Coppola.

Comment

Very cool! Nice work.

Comment

What did you use for frames to wrap the fabric around?

Comment

Here's a look inside...

it's a PVC outlet box & 3/4 PVC. There are 2 aluminum bars to clip gels on (one sheet will wrap all the way around), and the HID rated mogul socket is mounted with bolts for a 2" or so standoff.

The metal plate that the socket mounts to is bolted all the way through the box (the regular mounting screws came loose from the heat). There's a 3/8-16 bolt up top - you just screw a female-threaded baby post to it, filmtools has those.

The "bag" just hangs from velcro, a 20" square of 1/2" pvc sits in the bottom to keep it from sagging... and there's a 4" hole in the bottom panel to allow ventilation. The back of the bag overlaps so you just open it to access the bulb/gel.

I made the bag from ripstop and fabric glue. The glue held up for an 8 hour shoot but I'll get someone to sew the seams. I'm generally not a fan of PVC on set, but the tubing's totally hidden in use, so it looks legit. To make the bag, a t-square & fine sharpie are really handy.

DSC_5598.jpg

Comment

Working...
          X