Ikan IFB 576 dimmable bicolor LED, pros and cons, feedback needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ikan IFB 576 dimmable bicolor LED, pros and cons, feedback needed

Has anyone here worked with the Ikan IFB 1024 or 576 bicolor dimmable LED lights?
    If so, what are the pros and cons of these lights? Just asking because I didn't find any reviews on these lights after googling. And I'm particularly interested in these lights because of their nature (LEDs), their lower price (compared to Litepanels), and their battery options. I have the Sony V-mount type.

How does the IFB 576 compare to the IFB 1024? Is it half as bright in luminence?

Ikan claims the IFB1024 to be 10,020 lux (3,139 lumens) and the IFB576 to be 5,600 lux (1,754 lumens). Percentage wise, that would mean the IFB576 is 56% less bright than the IFB1024 or conversely the IFB1024 is 179% brighter than the IFB576. Does that sound right?

And if so, would an Ikan IFB 576 3-point light kit be enough light for a talking head interview filmed with a Canon C300 or 1DC? Personally I'd rather go smaller for traveling purposes. So if the 576 is enough light for a three point interview, I'd go with that.

Thanks very much in advance for your feedback.
    Last edited by Nicholas Natteau; 09-14-2013, 07:15 AM.

While I have no experience with using these Ikan units, my experience with other bi-color LED lights is that they are fitted with both daylight and studio LEDs, and when using them in either just 5600K or 3200K your light output is really half. So your output is way lower that using a dedicated 3200K or 5600K light.

Comment

Wow, I didn't know that.

So just to clarify, David, you mean that on these bicolor LEDs, half the LED bulbs are 3200K and the other half are 5600K, therefore, you're really getting half the brightness of a dedicated tungsten or daylight LED?

I had the impression that it wasn't one or the other, but that the temperature could be dialed in anywhere from 3200K to 5600K, thereby giving you 4500K, if you so wanted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMu86fdS-fk

At 0:35 it's what Ikan seems to be claiming.
      Last edited by Nicholas Natteau; 09-14-2013, 07:05 AM.

Comment

Well like I said, I have no experience with their products, so maybe they have an actual single LED that is color temp controllable.

In all the bi-color LED light I have used they run both the 5600K and 3200K lights mixed to achieve the different color temps.

Comment

Originally posted by David W. Jones View Post
          While I have no experience with using these Ikan units, my experience with other bi-color LED lights is that they are fitted with both daylight and studio LEDs, and when using them in either just 5600K or 3200K your light output is really half. So your output is way lower that using a dedicated 3200K or 5600K light.
          +1

Comment

Thanks again David.

Comment

so maybe they have an actual single LED that is color temp controllable.
              not in this case. no.

right from the start, at 0:05 in that video, it illustrates what david is saying. the single temp fixture on the left are all one color. and the bi-color on the right shows only the 32k bulbs on. the ones that arent lit (every other column) are the 56ks. so at that point its a 500 32k. and at the other color extreme, the 56ks will be on and the 32ks will be off. so you have a 500 56k

I had the impression that it wasn't one or the other, but that the temperature could be dialed in anywhere from 3200K to 5600K, thereby giving you 4500K, if you so wanted:
              it can be dialed in. but it achieves that my mixing the power from each group. the mixing knob controls the strength of each set. as one goes up, the other goes down.

at 45k(ish) would be both sets at full power. when you move in either direction from 45k you begin dimming half of the bulbs.
              so at either end, though you have a 1000-bulb fixture. youre only using 500 of them.

like i tell everyone else; it's FAR more efficient to just buy a daylight fixture and a stack of graduated CTO gel sheets.

its an argument of power vs convenience for the dollar

with all of this said - ive used a variety of ikan flos and LEDs for several years now. and i've yet to have any problem with them in the field.
              Last edited by wgzn; 09-17-2013, 07:14 AM.

Comment

@ WGZN I don't know if you know this , but Ikan is base in Houston.

@OP My boss use 2 Ikan lights for weddings and it seems allright. I know someone who works at Ikan. If you need any technical question answer, let me know.

Comment

I have the 508 which is somewhat similar, except no barn doors. I like the unit. Is it the best? That is hard to say. It does what they said it would do. I can dial in a temperature and dim it, or increase the intensity. I have the unit to be reliable, light weight, and the batteries on the unit do what I need them to do. I am not reluctant to use their other products. I like my 508. I am likely going to purchase more in the not too far distant future.

Comment

I've been looking at these lights also. I'm on the fence between going with the K4000 or the IFD576 or saving some money but losing quality and going with Aputure 528S.

I'm just looking for a budget LED lighting kit for talking head interviews also.

Comment

Originally posted by RatLabProductions View Post
                      I've been looking at these lights also. I'm on the fence between going with the K4000 or the IFD576 or saving some money but losing quality and going with Aputure 528S.

I'm just looking for a budget LED lighting kit for talking head interviews also.
                      I have 2 Aputure 528S and have used couple of other LEDs to compare. The 528S has a mild magenta cast but nothing to worry about imo. It's very bright for it's size!

The main positives are light output, being 25° spot light and lightweight/compact. Quality of light is really ok imo. Build quality is very cheap!

They need diffusion, but for my taste that's for any LED except remote phospor.

Price/Value is very good and would certainly make a good budget LED interview kit imo but they are definately not made to last forever.

Comment

Have you experienced flicker while dimming? Color cast I can gel for but the reported flicker when dimming is what has concerned me about these little lights.

I agree the 25deg spot and light output of these look amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by RatLabProductions View Post
                          Have you experienced flicker while dimming? Color cast I can gel for but the reported flicker when dimming is what has concerned me about these little lights.

I agree the 25deg spot and light output of these look amazing.
                          Thank god you asked!
                          I would have just answered 'no' as I didn't see any flicker so far but I now tested 2 units in darkness and they do start to flicker at some points while dimming, under settings for both NTSC and PAL on two different camera systems!

Stay away (if you don't plan to use them at 100% all the time)!!

Comment

Originally posted by stip View Post
                            Thank god you asked!
                            I would have just answered 'no' as I didn't see any flicker so far but I now tested 2 units in darkness and they do start to flicker at some points while dimming, under settings for both NTSC and PAL on two different camera systems!

Stay away (if you don't plan to use them at 100% all the time)!!
                            Ya that was what always kept me away from those. To me the advantage of LED is the ability to dim without having a colour change like on some tungston with a dimmer attached.

Comment

Working...
                            X