X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick Tip on building up a Low Budget Lighting Kit

Hi fellow DVX Users!

I just posted up a new video about compiling a lighting kit with professional lights, but on a budget. The lights I have in the video, as well as the ones I didn't show in the video all cost under $50 each (most of them were closer to $20), and I've used the lights on professional shoots including the latest feature film that I produced.

If you want to check out the video you can see it on our host website Media Monstrous or on YouTube.

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

-Alex
    Last edited by AlexDarke; 06-27-2012, 11:50 AM.
    I'm an Emmy-nominated filmmaker, owner of Filmmaking Central and co-host of the No-Budget Filmmaking podcast.

Awesome dude, good stuff. Just as I was getting ready to come here and ask "But alex, where do I find bulbs for these?!" bam, you answer it in the video.

Comment

Nice video, well done!

It's important to note the colour temperature and G/M shift of these lights as they may vary between units.

btw, you are cute :-P haha

Comment

Oh man, thanks!

I need to get some 1k's and bigger fixtures, and this looks perfect.

These definitely seem more common in LA craigslist and such, but they're definitely around.

Thanks again dude, this rules.

I might need help finding the bulbs, but should order some first.

Comment

Awesome! I'm glad you found the video to be useful! Thanks for all your comments!
          I'm an Emmy-nominated filmmaker, owner of Filmmaking Central and co-host of the No-Budget Filmmaking podcast.

Comment

Originally posted by homestar_kevin View Post
            Oh man, thanks!

I need to get some 1k's and bigger fixtures, and this looks perfect.

These definitely seem more common in LA craigslist and such, but they're definitely around.

Thanks again dude, this rules.

I might need help finding the bulbs, but should order some first.
            Yeah, they are definitely around...probably hidden in people's storage units just waiting to be discovered and sold.

These are perfect, in my opinion, for someone graduating to bigger fixtures. They do make 2K fresnels, and I've even seen a 4 bank 4K...almost like a molefay but open faced...that can run on house power because it had 4 independent power plugs.

As for finding bulbs, the lights themselves usually have bulb information printed on them somewhere - and you can take that information and google it to find different options for replacement bulbs near you or online.

Comment

Bought 2 colortran 1k fixtures for $100 shipped today.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/370621829787...#ht_500wt_1031

and this guy

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221045547142...#ht_500wt_1031

Now just have to get them and figure out what bulbs I need to get.

Thanks for the tip, I'm excited to get these guys

Comment

Awesome! I have a few of those Multi-Beam fixtures, and I use them all the time. One of the tips I have planned for the future is making barn doors for light fixtures and I was going to use the Multi-Beams for that. The other one I haven't seen before, but it seems cool! Almost like Mole Nooklite - and the Multi-Beams are similar to the Mickey-Mole fixtures.

I hope you get some good use out of them!

Comment

Great video!

I've moved this from Cinematography to Lighting. However, I've left the links as expiring re-directs for three days. I hope you get some views and responses! Might sticky this, too.

This is a question many people on DVXuser are searching for. So please let's not have the conversation end with this one suggestion of colortrans...

Let's talk about other affordable lighting solutions!

Thanks!

If cinematography wasn't infinite, I'm sure I would have found the end by now.

Comment

these use halogen bulbs correct?
                    besides the cost, would fluorescents be a better choice due to heat?
                    thanks!
                    http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=48414

Comment

This is awesome info, thanks!

Comment

I wonder if you could paint them? With a new paint job non professionals would have no idea how old they are...
                        Director/Cameraman/Editor

GH2/Premire CS6/After Effects CS6

http://crossbowfilms.net

Facebook | Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by cbohlender View Post
                          I wonder if you could paint them? With a new paint job non professionals would have no idea how old they are...
                          You can paint anything, if you put in the necessary work. You have to properly prep (sandblast or wirewheel) the units before painting them to get better adhesion, and get high heat paint so that it won't melt off or smell extremely bad.

Comment

Right, you can definitely paint them or have them painted. I know there are places out here in LA that specialize in painting light fixtures and they will do the whole shebang as they say - sandblasting and painting it with high quality paint so that it looks brand new. This option is expensive though. For a DIY solution, I'd check out BBQ paint, which usually is matte black and resists peeling and rusting from high heat, but definitely do as much prep work as possible before hand (rust removal, etc) to make sure the paint job lasts the longest.

Comment

These are halogen, that's correct. I actually just picked up another one today! It's a 4K broad light that uses 4 x 1K bulbs that are all powered independently, so you can run on house power with no problem, using different circuits.

As far as if fluorescents are a better choice, it depends on what your needs are. Fluorescents are definitely better if heat is a problem, and they are more power efficient if power is a problem.

Price-wise, professional fluorescents are going to be more expensive. I've been lucky and gotten some really great deals on flos, so I know they are out there. You just have to keep looking.

I'd say, if you are putting together a general kit without a specific need, it's better to have an assortment of lights in different styles and types, because each one is better for different applications.

Another great type of light to keep an eye out for are Lekos. These you can find for REALLY cheap. I bought a set of 10 Strand - Century Lekolites for $100 on CL a few months ago. These are especially cool because you can use the gobo patterns in them for different lighting effects, or if you need to create a really crisp spot, they are the best.

Thanks again for all the comments, I hope you enjoy collecting lights and creating your kit as much as I have!

Alex

Comment

Working...
                              X