LIGHTING 101

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: LIGHTING 101

I think the site layout looks very snazzy. I'm about to read the articles.

Yellow #001

Comment

Really good stuff. I like it alot so far.

Yellow #001

Comment

I couldn't acess it...
        www.juliotaubkin.com

Comment

Sorry guys, my host has completely crapped out again. For anyone seeking hosting, certainly avoid

www.existhosting.com

I couldn't have had worse experiences, as this is the third time in three weeks where my front end has been down for longer then 12 hours...with absolutly no response or action from the hosting company.

I'll let you know when it's back up.

Comment

Okay, the site's back up.

I'm going to add an article about managing power through household circuits later today.

Comment

Good! I've been having thoughts about how I'm going to plug in all my halloween stuff into my home outlets.

Oh yea, and it's probably good for filmmaking too. ;)

Yellow #001

Comment

I've noticed that too barnes... i'm not sure what's up with that. The place guarantees 30 days or money back so why not try getting your money back? It seems like a lot of hassle to me and there are a lot of other places that have hosting that goes down like that as well... i've noticed even DVXuser going down at times...
                it's hard to tell which places will be reliable. Sometimes a webvirus can spread like wildfire and take down sites as big and secure as google... it's possible something like that has been hitting exist and they've been so busy trying to deal with it that they've been unable to address the concern to all of their clients. Google, Amazon, Yahoo and several other sites have gone down for similar reasons without awknowledgement of it until after the fact...
                -Rob G.

Comment

Hosting sites are like building contractors. You can get all the referals you want, and you can look at all the other sites hosted, but at some point you still fork over your money and hope they're going to deliver what they promise.

Exist really hasn't delivered in some important areas, and the most important to me would be communication. I understand that things don't work sometimes, but they promise 24/7 staffing. There's already been a couple of incidents this month, most notably when the second webserver went down and no one was actually at the facility to respond to help tickets or phone calls for over 12 hours.

Exist's biggest fault in my eyes is in never acknowledging their technical problems or clarifying reasons for their cause. I'd be a relatively happy camper if they actually came out and announced the causes of specific downtimes and specified what they're doing to avoid them in the future.

I need communication from a service provider as much as I need the service. I'd move my site and take up their 30 day money back guarantee, but I really don't have the time to get that done between life's current demands.

When things settle down a bit, I'll be looking into a new provider (unless exist proves to be more reliable as times comes, of course)

Comment

BTW -

I've posted my short pieces about delivering electricity through an existing service on www.filmmakersunion.org

Point to the site and if you look to the left, there's a small article menu. If you click on Lighting/Electric...it will take you to the articles I've posted so far. All of them were written as a single 20+ page paper, so I still need to edit them for individual readablity...but its a start!

thanks for looking guys.

Comment

It's very nice. I loved that you didn't give detailed instructions for the dangerous stuff, I was fearing that you would. It works really nice and covers a lot of the real work of a gaffer crew. It's very good, and I hope you manage to complete that list of subjects with the help of intersested and knowledgable people such as yourself. Thanks for the initiative, Barnes, and may the force be with you...
                      www.juliotaubkin.com

Comment

Really? I thought exist's customer service has been great so far. When I was looking into different hosts one reason why I chose exist was because of their live chat support. I was able to start talking to someone there withing minutes of a question...

Hmmm... who knows?
                        -Rob G.

Comment

As with everything in life, as soon as I start complaining about something, it begins to work smoothly just to prove me wrong. Then when I get complacent, everything starts screwing up...again, just to prove me wrong.

Right now, everything's running smoothly at exist...go figure.

Comment

Everyone hurry up and print the articles before the server goes down again! ;)

Yellow #001

Comment

Working...
                            X