Tota lights crapped out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tota lights crapped out

Has anyone else experience Tota lights just failing. My friend and I both have lights that just failed for no reason. Naturally I tried replacing the bulb and power cords but it didn't help. Any insight would be appreciated.

Bob
    sigpic

Re: Tota lights crapped out

I had a tota light fail once, and it was indeed very odd. I'm not a total dummy with electricity and electronics, but I couldn't find any failure in the "user accessable" sections of the light. It's been a long time since I've looked inside one, but I think mine had some sort of short inside one of the cast parts...meaning its was essentially unserviceable when contrast against replacing it.

I could be wrong though.

That being said, totas don't fail often in my experience, so perhaps you and your friend are simply unlucky.

Comment

I haven't had any problems with Tota's, but Lowell is a bit on the rinky dink side. If isn't the bulb, and it's not the cord, that leaves...the socket. I haven't checked, but you can probably order spare socket sides and swap them out yourself.

Comment

Good point Barry. Lowel is really good about offering spare parts, so I'm sure you'd be able to switch out the socket.

I remember looking my broken tota, sitting there in pieces in my old control booth while I contrasted my hourly rate versus the cost of a new tota.

the tota went in the trash.

Comment

I'm great at spending hours trying to fix something that's cheap to replace. I do have a talent for taking anything *apart*.

Bob--maybe call Lowell and complain if the light is fairly new. i have no idea about their customer service, but I don't expect new stuff to break unless it's abused. Lowell has a 2 year warranty on lights, so maybe it's covered.

Comment

Send it in to them, they'll give you an estimate. I'll bet you will be VERY suprised at the cost, no matter the age.

Comment

[quote author=xort link=board=lighting;num=1102015292;start=0#5 date=12/03/04 at 15:35:50]Send it in to them, they'll give you an estimate. I'll bet you will be VERY suprised at the cost, no matter the age.[/quote]

Surprised good or surprised bad?
              sigpic

Comment

suprised good...

Comment

That's helpful to know. I'm a lot more inclined to buy gear from a company with good customer service.

Comment

Working...
                  X