Halogen VS Quartz Halogen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Halogen VS Quartz Halogen

I don't know much about lighting. I'm buying worklights [500 watt bulbs] for a low budget film (dead horse, I know). What are the differences between these 2 types of bulbs and how would they affect color temperature? Which would be better for DVX film making(will be manually white ballancing)? Thanks very much for the help.

Re: Halogen VS Quartz Halogen

Halogen and Quartz Halogen are the same.

they both burn a little hotter than regular tungsten. How you use the color temp is up to you...

Comment

Weeell.... I'm going to stick my neck out here and say that there is no difference. To put it another way, they are one and the same. Here's the way I understand it.

The filament is tungsten and it is surrounded by Halogen, a gas made up of five different gases, namely Fluorine, Chlorine, Bromine, Iodine, and Astatine. As the Tungsten heats up to a certain temperature, the metal begins to vaporize. The reason Halogen is used is that it has the unique quality that it combines with the Tungsten vapor at an atomic level and eventually re-deposits much of the Tungsten atoms back onto the filament, thus prolonging it useful life.

But for this process to work it has to get pretty hot in there - too hot for a regular glass bulb, so quartz is used instead of glass, hence the term, "quartz halogen". Mostly, I just hear people say, "halogen".

I honest to God, never used these lamps for filming, so I don't even know what the color temperature is, but if you are white balancing with these turned on, you should be OK. It only gets tricky when you mix it with light from other sources, like the sun.

EDIT: I posted at the same time as "J", hence the similarity of our answers.

Comment

They are what my poor self uses. Color temp has not been a problem. Your actors sweating buckets is. Turn those bad boys off when you aren't shooting.

"...there is no magic, no mystery---just common sense and hard work" - Nestor Almendros

Visit my site at

Hooligan Nation Productions

Comment

Great! Thanks for all your help. I truly appreciate it.

Comment

i have put my hands on 2 old halogen lights
            http://www.unomat.de/products/produc...=id&id=655

the brand name is unomat they have 2 1K bulbs each but one can light a 1K only. no bardors. one is a bit rusty...ok not a bit.
            they output 3200K but have a filter daylight filter. has anyone ever heard of them? how valid are they today? worklights today output more than 3200K right? if i buy a tungsten light with 3200K i think it will have a different colour output then this halogen right? what is your opinion, sort of should i place them in a museum or stick to them?
            about the barndoors issue if you use a diffuser you do not use barndoors right?

Comment

[quote author=thewheel link=board=lighting;num=1101698981;start=0#5 date=12/06/04 at 08:16:59]has anyone ever heard of them? how valid are they today? worklights today output more than 3200K right? if i buy a tungsten light with 3200K i think it will have a different colour output then this halogen right? [/quote]
              I think you are a bit confused. These ARE tungsten lights. Whether or not they are also halogen or not, doesn't matter. If you are going to film indoors, 3200K is the color temperature you want.

about the barndoors issue if you use a diffuser you do not use barndoors right?
              Not at all. Diffusion makes the light less harsh on your subject. Makes everything look softer. Barndoors are there to control the spread of the beam of light. If you don't want light bouncing off the ceiling and the walls, pull the barndoors more closed.

These are quite powerful lights and might be useful for lighting a basketball court or a night exterior of a building, but I can't imagine using 2K's on an interior shoot, assuming you don't have a studio. If you already own them, hang onto them, but don't plan on using them as your complete lighting kit. Oh, and these will get really, really hot, so you will have to have stands for them and be sure to wear gloves.

Comment

You might be getting mixed up with the difference between incandescent and halogen bulbs. incandescent are your typical scew in table lamp bulb while movie lights and work lights use halogen bulbs.

Halogens are brighter per watt and phycially hotter then incandescent.

Halogens are tungsten balanced at 3200K which is your DVX preset color balance. While incandescent are even warmer color at about 2900K.

Bottom line use halogens when you can to get the most light output and to use the preset color ballance setting in the DVX. But if all you have are incadescent bulbs you can easily white balance for 2900K and it will look just as good (if done right).

Comment

[quote author=Brett Erskine link=board=lighting;num=1101698981;start=0#7 date=12/06/04 at 12:48:35]You might be getting mixed up with the difference between incandescent and halogen bulbs. incandescent are your typical scew in table lamp bulb while movie lights and work lights use halogen bulbs.[/quote]
                  Brett, I'm not trying to be pedantic, but halogen bulbs are also incandescent. Having a metal filament that glows when charged is the definition of incandescence.

Halogens are tungsten balanced at 3200K which is your DVX preset color balance. While incandescent are even warmer color at about 2900K.
                  Most pro video/film lights are balanced at 3200K, but not all. I've seen them for sale at 3000K, 3100K and strangely, 3350K color temps. As for the lamps in work lights, God know what the color temp is.

Regarding household lamps, a similar situation prevails. GE, Phillips, Sylvania, all the big guys are into the colorized "mood lighting" on the one hand and "true color" on the other. It pays to find out before you buy and waiting till you are at the store to read the label won't help because color temp info is hardly ever there.

Comment

Nor is CRI. It's very frustrating at times. And don't even bother to ask, you just get an blank stare.

"...there is no magic, no mystery---just common sense and hard work" - Nestor Almendros

Visit my site at

Hooligan Nation Productions

Comment

no i did not buy them, the guy at the video store gave them to me he used them several years back. the fan does little soud enough to be picked by the mic. however it is a very good idea to light a building from outside at night.

i will be buying a pair of redheads, maybe 3, they are not so common in the US but popular IN EU, and that is what is available locally anyways. they are expensive of course for my upcoming no budget short, but...

thanks a lot guys.

Comment

[quote author=Rogue Crew link=board=lighting;num=1101698981;start=0#8 date=12/06/04 at 15:54:25]
                        As for the lamps in work lights, God know what the color temp is.
                        [/quote]

Hmmm...without a colormeter...

SOmeone could try this:

Whitebalance with a known light 3200K source, then turn off that source, turn on the worklights and shoot.

Warmer or cooler?

Oh, hell. Duh. Use the built-in 3200K preset and shoot with a worklight. Too blue or too red? Or just right?

Dan
                        Movies, Music

"I thought you had to go to Pittsburgh for that."

Comment

every worklight I ever worked with was warmer than 3200. Most of the times the difference was between 1/8 and 1/4 CTB... But it all depends on the light bulb...
                          www.juliotaubkin.com

Comment

Rogue Crew-
                            You absolutely right about them both technically being incadescent. I was just calling them by the names that they are sometimes know as on set.

As far as work lights and their color temp. Well I can tell you that they use the exact same "technology" as the globes in your typical Mole hot film light (meaning they are under much higher pressure than "incadescent or hold hold bulbs". I've mixed both work lights and Arris and never seen a noticeable difference but then again Im doing it by what I see on tape not using a color temp meter. But if its noticeable to your eye by all mean get a gell on it.

Comment

Typo: Hold hold = house hold

Comment

Working...
                              X