Question regarding Smith Victor  lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question regarding Smith Victor  lights

I know everyone here is a fan of the Briteks for an inexpensive lighting solution, but what about something like these Smith Victor kits for someone who is really on a budget? It looks like you can add some snap-on diffusers as well. I need to get something soon, so any advice is deeply appreciated.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...853&is=REG

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Re: Question regarding Smith Victor  lights

I think this is acceptable for a rock-bottom starter set in that price range. It's a step up from the Home Depot clamp on lights. It looks a bit more professional, has the stands, and other clamp on accessories. Of course, you won't have much control of the light patters in the current configuration, but you can do something with the propper accessories. Maybe make your own barn doors, or use other stuff to control the light. A dimmer might help set the intensity..
    Mike King - Sherwood, Oregon
    Filmmaker, Runner, Chess fanatic, and Software Engineer

Comment

hey thanks for the response. It looks like I wouldn't have to make the barndoors because they are available for around $50 each for these reflectors, but then I start pushing into the britek price territory and I start to think I might as well get those.

Comment

I wouldn't get those. They're VERY fragile in design (mostly plastic outside of the reflector). And you could just buy industrial clip lights at home depot that do the same thing. A little Mole Richardson softlight spraypaint and you've have exactly the same thing for a lot less money.

Comment

I have the Britek's and pleased with them for the price I paid. I would definately get the Briteks over those if it's in your budget.
          Mike King - Sherwood, Oregon
          Filmmaker, Runner, Chess fanatic, and Software Engineer

Comment

Yes. That kit does nothing that 2 20 dollar worklights doesn't do. Even the stands are only 6'.

"...there is no magic, no mystery---just common sense and hard work" - Nestor Almendros

Visit my site at

Hooligan Nation Productions

Comment

Smith Victor is junk, almost. I have a set (better than the one above). I overpaid.

Though, when the set arrived with broken safety glass, they sent me a new set of glass immediately, no hassle, no questions. Good for them.
              LEARN FILMMAKING - DIGITAL STREAMING AND DOWNLOADS OF GREAT TRAINING PROGRAMS!

WRITING FOR TELEVISION ARTICLE | "ASSUMPTION BLUES" FILM NOIR RADIO PLAY | "BLUE SCARLET" RADIO PLAY

Comment

Working...
              X