Cool-Lights portable fixtures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cool-Lights portable fixtures

Just wanted to say a bit about the new cool-lights portable fixtures. I just got a 2x55 for interview work and this thing is fantastic. The build on these is great. Richard has made these to be rather invincible, but still light weight. Used with Richard's funny shaped stand adapter (forgot what its called) I popped it up on my crappiest light stand in the world and its not a problem at all, although I'll use a larger stand in the future just for safety's sake.

For light output the 2x55 is the perfect thing for one person head and shoulder type of interviews. Quick testing with the light at about 4 feet out in a room that has some muted daylight coming in acting as a rimlight (through bamboo shade) I had the camera at f/5.6 24fps (can't remember my shutter, but 1/48 probably) and it was the perfect soft key light. Some fill off of a reflector and I was done. The best part was that my talent wasnt feeling the heat at all. And when I was done, I just put the light away. No cooling off anymore for me.

Anyways these are fantastic for location corporate interview stuff. I would imagine you could light two people if they were friendly on a couch without a problem.

And a bit about Richard himself - he's fantastic at this! While orders were in process he emailed out a fantastic manual for the new products that was extremely thorough with some good pictures. Upon arrival I accidentally was shipped a 6x55 portable unit (yeah darn...), I emailed him about the mixup and within ten minutes he calls and we get it sorted out. He ships me a new 2x55 that same day and has fedex at my house the next day to pickup the 6x55. No work done on my part at all. Now thats customer service. Keep up the good work Richard.
    Jeff Anderson
    www.lichtuberstromt.com

Thanks Jeff. Glad you like it. Last couple of weeks was pretty stressful playing catchup and we made a couple of mistakes which we normally don't do but we fixed them pretty quick. We've never had to ship out that many orders at one time so it was taxing our ability to keep up, plus breaking in a new warehouse in Nevada that wasn't familiar with our products / part numbers so I had to QA a lot of their processes at the same time.

I didn't even stop for a break hardly over 3 intense days when I was trying to keep everything on track. I wrote the manuals right at the warehouse in spare moments. Checked the fixtures I needed out of inventory, took the pictures there, created the PDFs and emailed them to the people that were going to be receiving them imminently.

For future reference people can find the PDF operations manuals on links under the product pages.

Glad we're caught up now and I hope I don't have to feel that rushed again. Next challenge--a shipment of our metal studio CL-455's coming in within 2 weeks and get those carrying cases in there in a 3rd shipment by end of February. I know you were interested in those Jeff, and you all will really appreciate the coming cases. Here's a sneak peak at what's cooking right now...

First, the CL-CCL1 our primary "Flo" case that will hold 1 CL-455P and
    1 CL-255P, bulb cases, eggcrates and 2 stands; OR will hold 1 CL-655P,
    bulb case, eggcrate and stand. Dimensions are 30" long x 19" wide x
    11" deep. Includes a trolley and wheels.

CL-CCL2 will hold a CL-255P and 1 fresnel and 2 stands; OR 3 fresnels
    and 3 stands. Dimensions are 35" long x 14" wide x 11" deep. includes
    wheels and pull handle. No trolley necessary as it is a long case.

CL-CCL3 will hold 2 1000w fresnels or 2 575w HMI fresnels; OR can hold
    a CL-255P and CL-455P and their accessories. Dimensions are 28" long
    x 16" wide x 16" deep.

All three designed within allowable sizes for checked baggage on airlines.
    All have a tough nylon exterior, inner hard shell, padding layer and velour
    lining with removable separators as in this photo showing the interior of
    the CL-CCL2 case:

The CL-CCL1 case has a kind of multi-level design with 2 layers separated
    with a nylon padded separator allowing different configurations of 1 or 2
    fixtures and their accessories.
    Richard Andrewski - Cool Lights USA - Site Sponsor
    Epic X #2392 - Skype "coolvideolights"

Comment

Cases are looking great Richard! So is the hard reinforcement on the side with the Coollights logo too? And what material did you end up with for the outer shell - is that a cordura? And last question - are the wheels replaceable? I worked in Airline luggage for far too long - I was an official thrower
      Jeff Anderson
      www.lichtuberstromt.com

Comment

Originally posted by jdajda View Post
        Upon arrival I accidentally was shipped a 6x55 portable unit (yeah darn...), I emailed him about the mixup and within ten minutes he calls and we get it sorted out. He ships me a new 2x55 that same day and has fedex at my house the next day to pickup the 6x55. No work done on my part at all. Now thats customer service. Keep up the good work Richard.
        There is much more than customer service here, there is also customer INTEGRITY .
        Keep up the the good virtue Jeff!
        Last edited by gco; 01-20-2008, 08:04 AM.

Comment

well thanks, but the best thing I've learned is that if you treat people well and do the right thing, then for the most part people will treat you well and they will also do the right thing. And that 6x55 is way too big for my little one man interviews
          Jeff Anderson
          www.lichtuberstromt.com

Comment

when are those cases coming out? I need something to transport these suckers in. Otherwise ill have to use large plastic containers lol.
            sigpic
            http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2393063/
            Actor
            Musician
            Filmmaker

Comment

well thanks, but the best thing I've learned is that if you treat people well and do the right thing, then for the most part people will treat you well and they will also do the right thing. ........
              aint that the truth buddy!
              Lead by example.....

Comment

Richard,
                prices worked out yet for your cases in February?
                my Visa should recover by then.
                Gary

Comment

Originally posted by gco View Post
                  aint that the truth buddy!
                  Lead by example.....
                  ...and just pray that someone is actually following you
                  Jeff Anderson
                  www.lichtuberstromt.com

Comment

Originally posted by gco View Post
                    There is much more than customer service here, there is also customer INTEGRITY .
                    Keep up the the good virtue Jeff!
                    No kidding. He could have kept it and I probably wouldn't have figured it out till next inventory that we had one fixture missing but we would have never known who got it. Thanks a lot for your honesty Jeff...
                    Last edited by Cool Lights; 01-20-2008, 03:02 PM.

Comment

Cases are coming out end of February if Chinese New Year doesn't slow us down too much--which it will a bit. China basically shuts down for a week at the beginning of February. I hate to sound like scrooge but its "H.E. double toothpicks" trying to get anything done between December and February with all the holidays and potential winter weather delays in shipping.

Anyway, as for prices, anything is subject to change with new information but this is what I'm thinking right now:

CL-CCL1 $225
                      CL-CCL2 $200
                      CL-CCL3 $225
                      CL-CCL4 $240
                      CL-CCL5 $250

Comment

Originally posted by Cool Lights View Post
                        No kidding. He could have kept it and I probably wouldn't have figured it out till next inventory that we had one fixture missing but we would have never known who got it. Thanks a lot for your honesty Jeff...
                        No problem Richard. Wouldnt want to piss off the coollights guy - kinda like pissing off your crack dealer. When you need your fix who you gonna go to?
                        Jeff Anderson
                        www.lichtuberstromt.com

Comment

No problem Richard.........
                          When you need your fix who you gonna go to?
                          "fix" ?
                          is that short for "fix-ture"?

Comment

my name is Jeff and I'm addicted to cool-lights...
                            Jeff Anderson
                            www.lichtuberstromt.com

Comment

Working...
                            X