ARRI light question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ARRI light question

I own an ARRI 300, and two 650's. The lights work GREAT! However, they make a clicking sound about every 20-40 seconds. The sound still happens when I turn the light off for a few minutes. Is this natural? It's been rather bothersome when it comes to recording sound. My mic picks up these random clicks. Any advice?! Thanks.

All three of your lights make this sound ? How old are they, and what part of the country do you live in ? Has this happened recently or has this always been the case?
    My first thought is a rapid change in temperature . Does this sound change if you plug them in, in a different location ? Are you plugging them into GFI outlets ? Does the sound lessen the longer they are plugged in, or is it constant ?

Comment

I think its a temperature issue too. Something with a combo of cold and hot working together to produce some expansion or contraction and therefore a noise in the metal parts of the fixture. Hard to imagine an electrical scenario that would cause a clicking sound like that.
      Richard Andrewski - Cool Lights USA - Site Sponsor
      Epic X #2392 - Skype "coolvideolights"

Comment

Originally posted by filmat11 View Post
        All three of your lights make this sound ? How old are they, and what part of the country do you live in ? Has this happened recently or has this always been the case?
        My first thought is a rapid change in temperature . Does this sound change if you plug them in, in a different location ? Are you plugging them into GFI outlets ? Does the sound lessen the longer they are plugged in, or is it constant ?
        The lights are brand new! I figured this was just normal procedure with the lights, breaking them in, etc. I'm located in Columbus, Ohio, bought the lights brand new from B&H. The 300 did it right off the bat, then the 650's started doing it last night! I have not tried another location, I'll do that in a bit and PM you with the results! I'm so hoping this is a user error, hah.

Comment

It's got to be because of the temparature. Maybe the metal expanding under the paint or something of that nature.

Comment

Would you happen to have them mounted upside down for some reason. I did this recently when mounting from the ceiling and they clicked worse. Also mine do this when warming up but stop by the time I am ready or at least I have not noticed it once shooting.

Adam

Comment

Working...
            X