Lighting for b&w question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lighting for b&w question

I'm shooting color and then turning it to b&w in post.

My question is...what sort of diffusion or gels are good to use for day/night when shooting for b&w?

Is it pointless to use ctb when shooting night scenes?

I just finished shooting a B+W film and yeah, CTB doesn't make much difference. The only thing that shooting in color gets you is being able to control the image in post by grabbing specific colors and dimming/brightening them.

Just like color, there are no rules for what types of diffusion to use in B+W. Do some test, but generally I found that what works in color works just fine in B+W white. I did use a bit more contrast though as sometimes people blend into the background easier since there isn't a color difference to help the audience separate the actors from the set.
    I invented the "remove echo" audio filter. And only people that boom their actors closely get to use it.

Alex Donkle - Sound Designer -

Comment

When you use colored light in B&W, you have to think about what effect it will have on the relative luminance of your subject and background. If you have a white and blue striped shirt and you light it with blue light, shoot it in B&W, you will reduce the contrast of the stripes. Light it with yellow and you will increase the contrast. It takes a lot of experimentation before you can really predict this without going to a monitor, however.
      Cinematographer | Director of Photography |FB | Twitter | LinkedIn
      Milwaukee Camera, Lighting & Grip Rental | Alexa Mini LF | FS7 | About me

Comment

I'd definitely recommend setting your viewfinder to B&W. It'll help you a lot (especially in your testing phase).
        sigpic

Comment

Working...
        X