color temp of home depot worklights?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

color temp of home depot worklights?

Does anyone know the color temp of worklights you find at hope depot ,lowes ect...?

Thanks!

The color temperature is very warm--in the 2600K to 2900K range. Some people around here know of some sources where you can get 3200K halogen double ended bulbs which will work in those fixtures. Maybe someone else will chime in as I don't remember where it was. Hope this helps.
    Richard Andrewski - Cool Lights USA - Site Sponsor
    Epic X #2392 - Skype "coolvideolights"

Comment

They are very workable if you do a manual white balance. But like Richard says, they are relatively yellow.

The double 500 watt is great to aim at the ceiling or into a Home Depot pvc pipe framed bed sheet to diffuse the light. You can really create a fully lit environment.

Then use the Arri's to key and rim.

The effect is really good because it sets a golden background...while the Arri's will highlight the subject with the proper color.

...and you can really heat up a room.

Comment

I've gotten 3200K replacement bulbs for those at Barbizon. Of course, you only need that if you are mixing them with other lights.

I fitted my worklights with barndoors, 5/8" stud mounts and balanced bulbs. I don't use them much anymore because of the heat. But it's nice to have 3 extra 500 W lights if I need them.

"...there is no magic, no mystery---just common sense and hard work" - Nestor Almendros

Visit my site at

Hooligan Nation Productions

Comment

Thanks for the responses!

I though that I could use any color temp. as long as thier all the same and manually white balanced.
          Is there a color temp. thats more flattering for female models?

Comment

white balancing still means some unnatural color shift
            you'd be better off putting a CTB gel on the worklight if you can't find a replacement bulb

Comment

Originally posted by Arson View Post
              white balancing still means some unnatural color shift
              you'd be better off putting a CTB gel on the worklight if you can't find a replacement bulb
              Teach me about this color shift, please. Isn't it the case that if the only lights he uses are these 2800K lamps and manually white balances that colors will be right on? They're tungsten so they have a smooth and continuous spectrum with no funny spikes or missing color regions, right?

And as for gels, if he's mixing them with 3200K lights he should calculate the mired shift needed to bring them up to that temperature, which might be gels of 1/8th or 1/4 CTB, no?

If he mixes them with daylight even full CTB won't move them enough. I think it only gets 3200K up to 5000K for the typical manufacturer, I think. And there goes a couple of stops of light too. IIRC

Comment

Yes, I'd start with a 1/4 blue to match 2800k to 3200k, since it will take 3200k to 3500k I'd figure it would be a good starting point. It will never be exact but light is more art than science anyway, right? ;)
                So yes, to match daylight you'd go with 1 and 1/4 CTB.

The best way to learn about how white balance and color temp will effect your subjects is to experiment. Personally I never feel that tungsten looks as "clean" as daylight, especially with primary colors. Tungsten, to me, is still very flattering on faces. Some of this will depend on your video camera or film stock. The baseline WB for the HVX I've heard is really high, and I tend to get prettier colors under bluer light. With film stock, I think matching film generally looks better than using a filter, although the difference isn't as dramatic as with video.
                Cinematographer | Director of Photography |FB | Twitter | LinkedIn
                Milwaukee Camera, Lighting & Grip Rental | Alexa Mini LF | FS7 | About me

Comment

Filmtools in LA has color balanced bulbs for work lights too-

Comment

If he mixes them with daylight even full CTB won't move them enough. I think it only gets 3200K up to 5000K for the typical manufacturer, I think. And there goes a couple of stops of light too. IIRC
                    As far as the AWB from a Sony DXC D30 tells me, a 1/2 CTB brings a 3300K halogen light to 4900K. A full CTB makes it 7000K, which is too blue for most daylight situations. Usually a 3/4 CTB is good to match normal daylight.

The numbers from the DXC D30 are not exact, I think, but I know from experience that you hardly ever need a full CTB. There's hardly a normal daylight situation where the DXC white balance goes to above 6600K, except after sunset.
                    Last edited by FBAS; 12-07-2007, 03:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by chagrin View Post
                      Filmtools in LA has color balanced bulbs for work lights too-
                      Are these the ones you're talking about? http://www.filmtools.com/fdn5012quarh.html
                      Last edited by Tom Marshall; 12-07-2007, 03:19 AM.
                      Actor / Musician

Comment

Working...
                      X