Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you always want in a grip truck?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you always want in a grip truck?

Hi,

I'm just wondering if anybody has some items that they always request in a grip truck and why.

Best regards, -AJ

It depends on what I'm shooting...interiors, exteriors, night, day, etc. A good mix of size stands, reflectors, clamps, hardware, etc. I also always make sure not to underestimate the number of sandbags and appleboxes I carry.
    www.barrycheong.com

Comment

Here's a typical 3 ton set up

Stands
      2 Hi-Hi Stands
      6 Combo Stands
      4 Beefy Baby Stands
      4 Baby Roller Stands
      1 Low Combo Stands
      12 40" C-Stands
      Hardware
      2 18" Bar Clamps
      4 4" C-Clamps
      4 6" C-Clamps w/ Stud
      2 8" C-Clamps w/ Junior
      4 Baby Pipe Hangers
      2 Junior Pipe Hangers
      2 4 1/2" Grip Heads
      2 2 1/2" Grip Heads
      1 Baby Offset Arms
      1 Junior Riser
      4 Step Blocks
      1 Turtle Stand
      1 Junior Offset Arms
      2 Short Arms
      4 3" Baby Plates
      2 Right Angle Baby Plate
      2 Junior Plates
      2 Junior Stand Adapters
      2 Tubing Hangers
      4 Mafer Clamps
      4 Gaffer Grips
      4 Ceiling Studs
      2 Chain Vice Grips
      8 1" Spring Clamps
      10 2" Spring Clamps
      1 2x4 Wall Spreader
      Flags
      4 18x24 Flags
      2 18x24 Singles
      2 18x24 Doubles
      2 18x24 Silks
      2 18x24 Frames
      4 24x36 Flags
      2 24x36 Singles
      2 24x36 Doubles
      2 24x36 Silks
      2 24x36 Frames
      2 48x48 Floppies
      1 48x48 Singles
      1 48x48 Doubles
      1 48x48 Silks
      2 48x48 Frames
      1 Flag Box
      Overheads
      1 6x6 Solid
      1 6x6 Single
      1 6x6 Double
      1 6x6 B/W Griff
      1 6x6 Silk
      1 6x6 Frame
      1 12x12 Solid
      1 12x12 Single
      1 12x12 Double
      1 12x12 B/W Griff
      1 12x12 Silk
      1 12x12 Frame
      Reflectors
      4 42x42 Reflectors
      Apple Boxes &Wedges
      6 Full Apple Boxes
      4 1/2 Apple Boxes
      4 1/4 Apple Boxes
      4 1/8 Apple Boxes
      1 Box of Wedges

Sandbags
      12 #15 Sandbags
      4 #35 Sandbags
      Miscellaneous Equipment
      4 8' x11' Tarps
      1 Skill Saw
      1 36" Carpenters Level
      1 15 lb. Sledgehammer
      1 4' Step Ladder
      1 6' Step Ladder
      1 Broom
      1 Shovel
      1 Rake
      1 Bullhorn
      4 Furniture Pads
      2 Tall Make-Up Chairs
      2 Director Chairs
      4 Traffic Cones
      1 Ice Chest
      1 Water Cooler

This pretty much covers it for me. I like to rig lights in strange places, so lots of rigging clamps etc. for me is a must. I also love cookies (cukaloris) plenty of those are good too.
      Producing content for the "Man" since 1991

Comment

On top of a standard 3 ton --like mentioned above.I always request HMI's, (1200's and joker bugs) a Fisher 11 dolly, straight and curved track,Kino's, a Menace arm- with 10,12 or 14ft of speed rail-depending on my shot, a pancake lantern and reflective fabric for either an 8x8ft or 12x12 ft overhead, like GRIFF, if it's not included in the standard package. If outdoors, I must have shiney boards...

Comment

This should be a sticky...

Comment

A little off-topic but, but speaking of menace arms, has anyone used Matthew's mini max stand? I'm tempted to get one... I'm always having to arm out kino's and what not... it normally ends up being a jury rigged grip-arm thing or speedpipe.
            www.barrycheong.com

Comment

Who decides what equipment goes in the grip and lighting trucks? the DP or would it be the gaffer or best boy..?

Comment

Originally posted by crazycatz View Post
                Who decides what equipment goes in the grip and lighting trucks? the DP or would it be the gaffer or best boy..?
                There are no rules in film... Sometimes its all three, or sometimes just the gaffer and grip, all depends. Some DP's work differently than others. Having worked for years in all three positions at the same time on many shoots, I tend to decide whats needed because I've had to make those choices so much. Other DP's just give them details on how they want to shoot ie: "I want it to look like bright sunny shafts of light are flowing into the room and I want to shoot at f/4.0 and have the contrast be at about 6 stops, Go do it!"

Chris Nuzzaco | Email: chris@chrisnuzzaco.com

Comment

Most grip trucks are packed with a pre-determined package and you add whatever additional stuff you need that's not already given to you. Some packages are pay by play and others you pay a flat rate for the entire truck.
                  www.barrycheong.com

Comment

Yo Barry, I have not personally used the mini max set up, and it does look great for carrying a heavy load. A few times , when in a hurry or for a quick set up, I have used the Avenger D-600 mini boom arm to rig a Kino, or hair light, when I had a less than perfect location to work in.

Comment

every set iv ever dped on weve ended up using rope that the gaffer packed for the hell of it.
                      www.stevelaramie.com

Director of photography

Comment

Iam gettiing second thoughts about this video/flim addiction that i have. lol

Comment

Originally posted by Supreme Flix View Post
                          Iam gettiing second thoughts about this video/flim addiction that i have. lol
                          So is my accountant.
                          I'm adding 2 - 400/800 K5600 joker kits
                          2 medium chimera softbanks-w/ eggcrates
                          1 medium chimera pancake lantern w/ skirt
                          K5600 softtube for a 400 joker
                          a one ton grip package
                          a 12ft - 7' tall, V-nosed, cargo trailer
                          Honda EU 6500 genny
                          Now I have to buy all the "Gack" shelves,brackets, hardware to make a place for everything.....
                          OUCH $$$$

Comment

Curiosity has gotten the better of me. What can you expect to pay for a 3-ton grip truck for a day or a week?
                            Cinematographer | Director of Photography |FB | Twitter | LinkedIn
                            Milwaukee Camera, Lighting & Grip Rental | Alexa Mini LF | FS7 | About me

Comment

I'm in the midwest, so prices may be different where you are...
                              First, there is the insurance, and again this differs from one rental house to another..The truck itself requires insurance and the contents require EQUIPMENT RENTAL INSURANCE. So you need, in place, aprox $ 100,000 dollars worth of rental equipment insurance, plus the truck.
                              Some places have just a flat fee and insurance waivers, not unlike HERTZ, or AVIS.
                              3 ton package-usually tungsten-unless you swap those out for Daylight- or it comes all tungsten, and you simply add HMI's(ala cart)
                              Can go from $ 300.00 day to $ 800.00 a day. You usually can get them to give you the truck for a week(and depending on where you live) for either a 3 day or 4 day rental..So basically, a whole week for 3 or 4 days.
                              Many people rent a truck on a Friday, and can get the whole weekend for one days rate.

Comment

Working...
                              X