Buy a drone or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eric Coughlin View Post
    I'm really looking forward to a Mavic Pro or similar getting ProRes or some legit high quality recording codec. Perhaps that's when I would enter the drone market and get one. The Inspire 2 is too much money and size for a regular DP to get if they're not planning to spend a lot of time learning and doing dedicated drone work, and the Mavic Pro's image is looking pretty good, but perhaps not quite there yet.
    You're not wrong.

I waited quite long to get a drone and then entered with the first Mavic Air and now fly the Mavic 2 Pro. I've got the DJI Smart Controller now, which to me—apart from being pricey—also is.... wait for it... sort of a game changer. Mostly because of the bright screen.

Anything larger than a Mavic 2 Pro is auto eliminated for me due to size, more than prize. I enjoy flying my drone privately just as much (actually more) than I do shooting for some paid project. I also think that if you have a drone, you should fly at least semi often to stay fit and safe with it. I fly my drone just for the fun of flying it too, without capturing any footage.

As I mentioned in another thread: even the video footage from a Mavic 2 Pro doesn't really hold up 'as is' out of the camera. But if treated with some TLC and run through Resolve, it comes out more than usable. I wouldn't wait for a beefy codec. There is something to be said to shoot to those small, cheap cards. Photos need less work and can be stunning.

I'm sort of waiting to see what DJI brings to follow up on the Mavic 2 Pro, but I'd recommend buying a Mavic Air 2—if you're allowed to fly. If I could only fly every 6-12 months when away abroad or on vacation, I'm not so sure.

The experience of getting out, the joy of flying and the unique vantage point is worth the small cost.
    @andreemarkefors

Comment

I use my drone all the time. In fact with lockdown I've been using it more than my C500 MKII.

And I agree with Andree, treat the footage with care and you can get great results from the Mavic 2.

DJI_0342-Pano-2.jpg

Unfortunately, uploading pictures on here turns everything to mush so you'll just have to take my word for it LOL.
      "There is nothing permanent except change."
      Heraclitus

www.liamhall.net
      TWITTER: @WordsbyLiam
      INSTAGRAM: @picsbyliam

Comment

The mavic air 2 is looking really good to me. This is the one I am saving up for. Will be using it for fun projects in areas too difficult to hike into .
        Regards,

Mark

GH5, Panasonic 12-60, 14-45, 45-175, Olympus 60 macro, 75-300, Benro S6 Tripod, Rhino Carbon 24" Slider, and Edius 8.5 WG.
        Video channel: https://vimeo.com/channels/3523
        Stock Video: https://www.pond5.com/artist/mark29#1/2063

Comment

I have a Phantom 4 Pro V2 which paid for itself rather quickly.
          Aside from extra batteries and the like, the first thing I added was the CrystalSky 7.85" Ultra Brightness monitor.
          It's much easier on my old eyes in broad daylight.

Comment

I’ve debated getting the smart controller for my Mavic 2 Pro, because using most cell phones for screens is an exercise in futility, or at the least, frustration, during the day outside. I’ve also thought about the VR goggles... But it’s all basically for fun. I don’t fly it on paying jobs. My drone is registered with the FAA, but I’m not part 107 certified or insured to fly commercially.

Comment

Originally posted by Run&Gun View Post
              I’ve debated getting the smart controller for my Mavic 2 Pro, because using most cell phones for screens is an exercise in futility, or at the least, frustration, during the day outside. I’ve also thought about the VR goggles... But it’s all basically for fun. I don’t fly it on paying jobs. My drone is registered with the FAA, but I’m not part 107 certified or insured to fly commercially.
              How much is it to register with the FAA? I've heard it's inexpensive (like $5?)

Comment

I'd probably just repeat what's already been said, so let me mainly add a few links. And note that while I used to do some RC stuff as a hobby, I don't currently own a drone. Thought about it, but haven't determined the fun/financial ROI works for me. So anyway.

Think about why you want to buy a drone, and if you can overcome the "it's a fading fad" feel some people (both viewers and clients) have. Totally doable, but worth considering, imo. This New York Times article from a year ago sticks in my mind:
                The Dronepocalypse Is Here — in Documentary Footage, at Least

Also, the FAA has decent basic info on how to get going:
                Become a Drone Pilot

And yes, it's $5 for a three-year registration. Again, from the FAA:
                Register Your Drone

There are probably non-government sites that provide clearer guides to the process. But a quick Google gave results from sites selling services, and/or older articles. Others here can probably provide better guides.

Finally, a drone camop friend (who teams with a retired helicopter pilot and who's work is often tower inspection) said he needs to keep track of the different laws/regulations in different states, parks, and municipalities. Looks like this fairly recent article covers those variances and some other stuff:
                Drone flying laws, FAA regulations, and license requirements you need to know

So if you do decide a drone is a worthwhile expense either for fun or for work, please let us know what you end up buying!
                ----------
                Jim Feeley
                POV Media

Comment

Originally posted by scorsesefan View Post
                  Yes. $5 every 3 years.
                  And testing / licensing for part 107 needs to be renewed every 2 years - and is $150 (at least was last year when I renewed.)

Comment

Originally posted by markfpv View Post
                    Yes. $5 every 3 years.
                    And testing / licensing for part 107 needs to be renewed every 2 years - and is $150 (at least was last year when I renewed.)
                    Make certain you register at the official dot-gov site. There are a bunch of dot-org and dot-com sites that look like the official FAA site, but charge you substantially more than the $5.00 registration fee.
                    David S.

Accept No Imitations.
                    www.dvxuser.com | www.reduser.net | www.scarletuser.com
                    and...
                    www.BMCuser.com - The Online Community for Blackmagic Camera users.
                    Filmmaking Communities powered by Landmine Media, Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Feeley View Post
                      I'd probably just repeat what's already been said, so let me mainly add a few links. And note that while I used to do some RC stuff as a hobby, I don't currently own a drone. Thought about it, but haven't determined the fun/financial ROI works for me. So anyway.

Think about why you want to buy a drone, and if you can overcome the "it's a fading fad" feel some people (both viewers and clients) have. Totally doable, but worth considering, imo. This New York Times article from a year ago sticks in my mind:
                      The Dronepocalypse Is Here — in Documentary Footage, at Least

Also, the FAA has decent basic info on how to get going:
                      Become a Drone Pilot

And yes, it's $5 for a three-year registration. Again, from the FAA:
                      Register Your Drone

There are probably non-government sites that provide clearer guides to the process. But a quick Google gave results from sites selling services, and/or older articles. Others here can probably provide better guides.

Finally, a drone camop friend (who teams with a retired helicopter pilot and who's work is often tower inspection) said he needs to keep track of the different laws/regulations in different states, parks, and municipalities. Looks like this fairly recent article covers those variances and some other stuff:
                      Drone flying laws, FAA regulations, and license requirements you need to know

So if you do decide a drone is a worthwhile expense either for fun or for work, please let us know what you end up buying!
                      Thanks, Jim. That NYT article was a good read and confirmed my thoughts on the use of drones as well...

Comment

Originally posted by scorsesefan View Post
                        As others said, $5. And it covers multiple drones. At least on the "recreational" side.

Comment

Originally posted by Run&Gun View Post

I started with my phone but the little screen got even smaller with all that readout data.
                          Then thought, hey I'll just use one of my iPads. but couldn't see s#it it the sun.
                          This 2000nit monitor makes it easy to see outdoors.

Comment

Unless you :
                            - will be doing a significant amount of drone work
                            - enjoy flying for fun

I would consider just hiring the drone work for the occassional job need. The reason is because of the ever growing FAA regulation. Most places you want to fly are in controlled air space which require clearance (not necessarily easy to achieve) or the location has a drone ban.
                            There are new ever tightening "rules" in the works as we speak.
                            It's much more than passing a test, paying $150 and studying charts when you want to go fly.
                            The ongoing and ever increasing hassle of trying to operate legally is good reason to hire someone else for the occassional drone job, and let them deal with all the stuff.
                            I realize a LOT of people are just flying illegally now which makes flying much easier, but the new ID system(s) aims to stop that.

Comment

Originally posted by firehawk View Post
                              Unless you :
                              - will be doing a significant amount of drone work
                              - enjoy flying for fun

I would consider just hiring the drone work for the occassional job need. The reason is because of the ever growing FAA regulation. Most places you want to fly are in controlled air space which require clearance (not necessarily easy to achieve) or the location has a drone ban.
                              There are new ever tightening "rules" in the works as we speak.
                              It's much more than passing a test, paying $150 and studying charts when you want to go fly.
                              The ongoing and ever increasing hassle of trying to operate legally is good reason to hire someone else for the occassional drone job, and let them deal with all the stuff.
                              I realize a LOT of people are just flying illegally now which makes flying much easier, but the new ID system(s) aims to stop that.
                              Good points. I live in NYC and there are a few parks that allow flying there but I do shoot a good deal upstate and on Long Island where in many parts drone use is allowed. What is the new ID system?

Comment

I believe the new ID system is called remote ID or something like that. I received emails about it a few months ago and people were petitioning their thoughts. I don't remember all the details as I have a lot of other things going on, but at the time there were two proposals. Basically new drones are going to have increased tracking and control so they (govt) can not only monitor everything you do but also prohibit it. Think of it as spying and policing on steroids. All older models would be retrofited (not likely) or illegal (most likely). It would also pretty much kill the hobbyist who make their own, and of whom we owe so much to for advancing the SUAS community
                                . There are already lots of problems trying to fly in areas where you have the proper prior clearance but the aircraft won't start due to errors in the 'policing" software. Not good when you are on a paying job and your client is there and you suddenly cannot do the shot you planned for. This looks to be much much worse. I didn't do a very good job explaining it, but it doesn't look good for the honest working sUAS operator. DJI was asking people to send in their concerns in hope of consideration being made. As far as I know, they are moving on as planned. Some see it as just another push in the ongoing plan to take away people's rights across the board but call it "safety."
                                I actually love flying. It was a dream of mine for more than a couple decades to be able to shoot aerial. I wish I had time to do it more. Soon looks like I won't be doing it at all.

Comment

Working...
                                X