No announcement yet.

Buy a drone or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks, Firehawk. You explained that pretty well. Doesn't make any sense to me why they would do this. If you could link to any articles on the subject that would be great...

Comment

A system was just implemented in aviation called ADSB which provides accurate position reporting, supposedly to permit tighter separation between aircraft in crowded airspace. The drone proposal is something similar that may use IoT for the data transport. Due to the altitude restrictions on drones I see little use for it unless drone delivery and similar ops permit non LoS flight, or they add an altitude layer for certain types of flights.

Comment

Originally posted by J Michael View Post
        A system was just implemented in aviation called ADSB which provides accurate position reporting, supposedly to permit tighter separation between aircraft in crowded airspace. The drone proposal is something similar that may use IoT for the data transport. Due to the altitude restrictions on drones I see little use for it unless drone delivery and similar ops permit non LoS flight, or they add an altitude layer for certain types of flights.
        I just read up on ID system. Looks like some serious privacy concerns if they're geo locating pilots (for example to their back yards). Looks like corps like Amazon and T-Mobile will profit nicely from implementing the system, too. Sigh....

Comment

Here's a comprehensive explanation of Remote ID:

https://kittyhawk.io/blog/separating...or-drone-nprm/
          David S.

Accept No Imitations.
          www.dvxuser.com | www.reduser.net | www.scarletuser.com
          and...
          www.BMCuser.com - The Online Community for Blackmagic Camera users.
          Filmmaking Communities powered by Landmine Media, Inc.

Comment

Decided to go with a Mavic Mini. 90% of what I need for $400. Wanted 24fps but 25fps is pretty cinematic. And it's under .55 lbs...

Comment

Looks like they added 24fps, manual shutter speed and WB for the mini in an April firmware update: https://forum.dji.com/thread-213266-1-1.html

Comment

Originally posted by scorsesefan View Post
                Decided to go with a Mavic Mini. 90% of what I need for $400...
                Cool! I look forward to reading about how it works out for you... And seeing some clips!
                ----------
                Jim Feeley
                POV Media

Comment

Dji Fly App won't install on my Android from 2018. WTF? Dji forcing people to either return their products or upgrade their phone :/

Comment

Decided to go with a Mavic Mini. 90% of what I need for $400. Wanted 24fps but 25fps is pretty cinematic. And it's under .55 lbs...
                    Awesome! I hope you will enjoy it. Welcome to the exciting world of aerial imagery

Comment

Dji Fly App won't install on my Android from 2018. WTF? Dji forcing people to either return their products or upgrade their phone :/
                      Donít know if this will help you or not...

I donít use Android, it apparently it has to at least be Android 6.0 and 64-bit OS. Thereís also a compatibility list to check your phone against.

https://forum.dji.com/thread-202136-1-1.html

Comment

Yes, I also found out my phone is not compatible just as I was about to pull the trigger on the Mavic Air 2.
                        Last edited by Mark Williams; 06-07-2020, 04:17 PM.
                        Regards,

Mark

GH5, Panasonic 12-60, 14-45, 45-175, Olympus 60 macro, 75-300, Benro S6 Tripod, Rhino Carbon 24" Slider, and Edius 8.5 WG.
                        Video channel: https://vimeo.com/channels/3523
                        Stock Video: https://www.pond5.com/artist/mark29#1/2063

Comment

Oh crud! Oh no you have been bitten before you can even begin. Welcome to the world of ongoing trouble. I didn't think to remind you to check compatibility beforehand. Before I bought my 1st suas I saw my phone wasn't supported or tablet, so I *uhg* bought another tablet just for the copter. And once I got it to work NEVER updated anything because there are loads of stories about updates causing all sorts of problems and even bricking the drone. The updates usually consist of more spyware and sometimes "features" which adversely affect performance.
                          So I don't know what else to do in your case except maybe find a 2nd hand device that is supported and assign it for drone duty?
                          And then resist the updates if possible once it all works.

Comment

Originally posted by firehawk View Post
                            Oh crud! Oh no you have been bitten before you can even begin. Welcome to the world of ongoing trouble. I didn't think to remind you to check compatibility beforehand. Before I bought my 1st suas I saw my phone wasn't supported or tablet, so I *uhg* bought another tablet just for the copter. And once I got it to work NEVER updated anything because there are loads of stories about updates causing all sorts of problems and even bricking the drone. The updates usually consist of more spyware and sometimes "features" which adversely affect performance.
                            So I don't know what else to do in your case except maybe find a 2nd hand device that is supported and assign it for drone duty?
                            And then resist the updates if possible once it all works.
                            This is one of the bad things about relying on non-dedicated consumer hardware being such an integral part of equipment control.

Who remembers the day of just pulling the stuff out of the box and it just worked. And worked until it died or was no longer useful, not because some unrelated company decided to change something in their software/firmware that had unintended consequences. Almost everything now has to be registered and updated before you can use it. I mean for f u c k s sake, even f u c k i n g monitors have to be registered on-line and they email you codes to put so they are fully unlocked and functional. The problem with connected devices... They're connected devices. You can't even go buy a video game and just pop it in and play it anymore. Besides having to wait for it to copy off of the disc onto the console, there's usually at least another half an hour or more you have to wait for updates and patches that have to be DL'd before you can play it.

Hey! You kids get off my lawn!

Comment

@Firehawk. Thanks, I should have checked before I bought it. I wound up picking up an Iphone 7 from Boost Mobile to load the app and surprise I can't get cellular service! (I live in a basement apt so I use wifi calling which apparently SHOULD be capable on my line but for some reason isn't working) So I have to choose between no cell service and a working drone or cell service and returning the drone :/

@Run n Gun ugh don't get me started. I long for the days of plug and play, too. I don't get it -- why can't they make an app that can run on a 32 bit system? DJI is IMPEDING potential customers from buying their products by imposing these largely unnecessary technical requirements on their customers.

Comment

I know it's frustrating, but try to understand you are in a very small handful of people in the world.

32-bit computing is extremely old. The first iPhone had it in 2013, 7 years ago. And I think Android followed shortly after.

They of course can make an app for a 32-bit system, but I imagine they don't want to spend the time and money going backwards. The people owning and flying a drone with a 32-bit phone whom are interested in using the application are practically zero.

It's much easier to focus on the future and move forward rather than allocate resources to backward-compatibility.

Comment

Working...
                                X