Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much would a typical Part 107 pilot charge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much would a typical Part 107 pilot charge?

I am producing a series of sizzle reels for project pitch packages for some documentary films we want to produce. One concept, in particular, absolutely needs good drone footage to illustrate the subject, which are Hawaiian outrigger boats (not shooting in Hawaii, shooting up and down the coast of Southern California). So we will need a Part 107 pilot who is experienced at taking off and landing on boats in the ocean and is experienced in dealing with higher winds. We recently hired a drone team for another project that was not on the ocean, they used an Inspire. The pilot told us that the smaller DJI drones are actually easier to fly in higher winds, less mass means less wind resistance, plus their Inspire was only able to stay aloft about 10-12 minutes per battery whereas I know the drones like Phantom 4 Pro can stay up quite a bit longer, which is much handier when dealing with landing on a boat.

If you were a Part 107 pilot with a DJI P4 Pro or something equivalent, what should I budget for a typical half day and full day rate, all in? If we pitch this project and it becomes funded, we may need to hire multiple drone ops to cover certain races so I want to get up to speed on what people are charging or would charge for these kinds of shoots. I've been researching all of this and was considering buying a drone and getting up to speed on it but with all of the hassle, exam, licensing that only lasts two years, etc. I think it will be smarter to just hire someone good as I don't want to devote the time and resources at this point to become a professional drone pilot. I'm a director/producer on the project so I have a lot of other requirements of me so I am going to leave the drone footage to the pros.

Thanks.
    Last edited by puredrifting; 05-24-2017, 04:13 PM.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

I usually see rates of about 1-1.5K for a day and upwards of that if it's daul operator. That being said, I believe you require a special waiver if you want to take off from a boat or moving vehicle or aircraft. Not sure it costs more but rates might go up if the operator has one. Also you shoudl budget time to recieve the waiver.
    Cameras: 2x - Sony FS7, 2x - Sony A6500, Canon 5D IV, DJI Mavic Pro, Canon 5D II, Canon 60D, Canon G16, Canon Rebel XT, GoPro Hero 7, Gopro Hero 6 (RIP), 6x - GoPro Hero 3+ Black Edition, Canon XL2, iPhone 4, iPhone 6, Ricoh KR-10, Fed-2, Fujica Half Frame, Canon ZR-100, Sony DCR-TRV 310.

Comment

Yeah if you're taking off and landing from a boat then I fully expect the costs will be higher, as that is a substantial extra risk factor.
      Am a Sound Recordist in New Zealand: http://ironfilm.co.nz/sound/
      Follow my vlog and adventures in sound: https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding

Comment

You do NOT need a waiver to operate from a boat as long as the PIC is not also operating the boat at the time and you're not in a high-density area. Same with operations from moving vehicles (sparsely populated areas, can't fly and drive at the same time).

I would expect a surcharge or higher rate for operation from a boat due to the higher risk and skill level involved. I've flown from a boat before but I'm not sure I'd do it again.

My day rate for drone stuff ranges from $800-1200/day depending on the drone I'm using (Mavic, P4 Pro, Inspire 1 Raw).
        JERBCO, Ltd.
        jerbco.com

Web | Video | Aerial

Comment

I've got my 107 and do a bit of drone work as well. I charge similar to what other people
          in here are saying 1k-1.5k per day.......riskier shoots a bit more because you are risking
          the loss of your drone and camera.

Comment

The type of boat is pertinent too...a sailboat with rigging makes it much tougher...if it's a support vessel with a fairly clear deck and no seas running, some days will be possible...some not...as a sailor, a former commercial diver and still a surfer and drone pilot...the ocean is always a challenging environment at the best of times...add weather and all calculations are irrelevant...for you as the director/producer you'll have to factor in, that some days you'll be out there paying a pilot, and taking off and or getting the footage will be impossible...which raises the costs of your whole shoot for that day...I would still go with nothing smaller than an Inspire personally...yes, the flight times are shorter, but it has the horsepower to fly back to a boat in strong wind should it suddenly pick up...the smaller lighter craft will get blown away...perhaps hiring someone operating an Inspire 2 would do the trick...I think they carry dual batteries....

Comment

Working...
            X